I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for split grip handle advice
Posted by: Rick Iles (---.lightspeed.btrgla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 08:23AM

I have a CRB weighted butt cap and am installing a split grip to a Rainshadow IFS904 7'6" flipping stick. I initially ordered an EVA back or butt grip, which is too small and hence my need for advice. Not to mention not easily fit to the aforementioned weighted butt cap. My front grip is a crb fsg387 two tone cork grip and would like something similar and does not have to match nor be two toned. Straight cork would be just fine; however, more exotic ideas are welcome. Please correct me if use incorrect terminology as I'm a newbie and this is my first build. Will I find a butt grip that will fit this weighted butt cap flush or will that come from me making whatever grip I choose fit it flush?

I'll try to describe my situation. The weighted butt cap has about a 3/4" to an inch long graphite mounting piece that is approx 3/4" round. It is hollow of course. Currently the butt cap is placed on .6" end of blank with masking arbor. So if I can explain this correctly, my butt grip will need .75 id for the rear 3/4 to an inch of grip. The remaining of the grip will need to have appropriate id to fit the blank snug the remaining length of grip. I can always shorten the inch long mounting piece of the butt cap and would make fitting grip much easier.

Sorry for long winded post - trying to give as much detail as possible for best advice.

I was initially thinking an EVA rear grip and cork middle grip; however, am leaning more towards all cork. I'm even considering a 4" or so piece of tapered hypalon. I could use a little more weight in the butt to perfectly balance the rod. This is not a requirement because I can easily add a weight or two to butt cap.

So, to sum up will I find a grip to fit the butt cap flush or should I throw that idea out the window and just realize it's going to have to be a customize grip to get what I want? I'm learning that a custom rod means just that! Pieces don't always look perfect without a little love! Also, what's thoughts on hypalon, and is it easier to work with than EVA? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for split grip handle advice
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 10:24AM

Perhaps you can call the supplier and exchange them for parts that fit together They should be glad to help

lesson learned - Always ask for them to check fit

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2014 11:01AM

For a flush mount, I would start by cutting the required length off of the butt grip you have
Use a miter box to keep the cut ends square and something with a very fine tooth blade, like a hacksaw.

Next drill or ream the ID of this piece, to fit the fancy butt cap, and epoxy them together...Clap and let cure.

EVA grips are usually stretched as they're slid into place using epoxy as both a lubricant and to bond the handle to the rod.
There are you-tube videos by Mud Hole and Get Bit etc. showing this being done.
Watch them before trying this for the first time.
If, after watching the videos, you feel your rear grip has too small an inside diameter, you can ream or drill it out a bit.

After cutting and fitting the butt grip parts you will epoxy everything back together on the rod.
Another option is to add a piece of foam of a contrasting color at the joint.
Small pieces of foam are available at craft stores like Michael's.
For a seamless look, sand the joints with progressively finer paper.

Posted by: Rick Iles (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 25, 2014 04:07PM

Small pieces of foam is a great idea. Thanks. The issue is fitting the foam flush with the weighted butt cap not getting the foam down the blank. It is larger than the bottom of blank. I have watched videos read books etc..... Never did I see anything related to this issue. I think cutting the butt caps 1" long, 3/4"diameter will work because it's easier to ream 1/2" vs 1" etc.... Or I will cover the piece with a separate piece of material and just glue my butt grip a little further up the blank.

Any ideas or opinions on hypalon? About a 3-4" tapered piece for the but grip. I've never seen this material but sounds like it grips well and is heavy, which will help balance out the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster