I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Col Chaseling
Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 14, 2014 12:19PM

G'day All

I have just recieved the news that Col passed away last night at 1030 pm.
Cols wife has asked me to pass this on.
He is going to be sadly missed by a huge amount of people.

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Col Chaseling
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: March 14, 2014 01:08PM

Very sorry to hear this.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 14, 2014 02:05PM

Thank you Ray.... Col was a great guy and was always willing to lend an ear and some wisdom.... I will miss our chats.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.137.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: March 14, 2014 03:05PM

So sorry to hear this. Never met Col, only knew him as a member here like most of us, but he came across as "your typical aussie bloke", I enjoyed especially reading his SEARBS posts (you guys I know are sure going to miss your leader for all the great work he did) Whenever I posted a new weave on the photo's page, Col would always leave me a nice comment. R.I.P. Col. (Steve)

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 03:28PM

Like steve
My Condolences to the family

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: chris short (101.172.213.---)
Date: March 14, 2014 03:35PM

Very sad day for col and his family and friends, and SEARBS. Col was a top bloke who helped anyone without expecting anything in return. He invited me to his house to set up my first casting rod and we had not even meet before. he loved rod building and seeing others succeed. Rest in peace mate. Chris

CKR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 03:37PM by chris short.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 04:08PM

Goodbye Col.

Rest in peace.

Keep E'M straight up there.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: March 14, 2014 05:01PM

I'm going to miss him he was a mate.I knew it was coming but it still a shock & hard to believe .My thoughts & condolences to his family .See ya mate RIP.

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Rod Churchward (---.lns20.bne4.internode.on.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 05:07PM

Deepest sympathies to Sue and families.
The Craft has lost a true Gentleman, but, if I know Col, he already has a rod in the dryer and has been down to cast an eye over the river.
You will be sadly missed, Buddy, thanks for the memories.
Regards, Rod.
Mboro. Qld.

Date: March 14, 2014 05:45PM

Even though i knew this was going to happen i was still shocked to get the news this morning.It was not very long ago that i first met Col when i joined this forum and i had not tied a guide.He invited me around and we had a chat and told me he knew of a bloke in Bundeena Barry Chapman and next thing we had a SEARBS meeting.From there things grew to last August with over 23 attendees.One thing Col was passionate about was building and he would help anyone and loved to see others doing well.From this Col has left a legacy and without him i would never of met people like Barry,'Mark Fisher,Tony Davis just to name a few who have in turn helped people like Chris,Mark Newcombe and myself.I count myself lucky to have known Col and all the wonderful people i have met through him i have made friends for life.I just hope that i can do what Col did and pass on what i am learning to others one day.Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble but still in shock over this.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 07:20PM

I was fortunate to meet Col at the ICRBE 2012. An outstanding gentelman with a passion for rodbuilding and helping others.
My condolences to his family and I know that he is smiling down on us.

Bill Ballou
NERBS

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.lns6.fli.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 14, 2014 09:14PM

I really can't say anything more on what people have already said. To echo Rod's words, Our craft has lost a true gentleman and a mate to all he met
To all the SEARBS members especially, stick together and expand our craft as far as we can, Welcome new members and help each other as much as we can. In that small way we will all remember Col and what he stood for.
My deepest sympathy to Sue and his family. Also to Ray and Barry who were his closest friends.

Mark Fisher
Outback Rods
Australia

Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 10:00PM

Far from just another Aussie bloke ... Col's genorous wisdom was always based on the tried and true, whether rodbuilding or matters of life. He always had a way of knowing just what to say. He provided great encouragement for me about three years ago when I lost my son. It turned out he had lost his 20 years prior. I am very grateful for the privelage of meeting him in person last year. My deepest sympathy and prayers to his family and friends. He will be greatly missed in the rodbuilding community.

John Samuels
Richmond Virginia, USA

Posted by: Dale Holmes (147.69.138.---)
Date: March 15, 2014 06:39PM

This is very sad news. Please pass on my condolences to his wife and family. I did not meet Col in person, but I had several conversations with him through this forum and he was a genuinely nice guy and passionate about helping others in the craft of rod building.

Best wishes,

Dale Holmes
Hobart, TAS
Australia

Posted by: David Boyle (---.lnse3.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 15, 2014 07:04PM

Best wishes and condolences to Col's family.
I don't understand why things happen in life, but I am glad to have had correspondence with Col. I know that rod building, especially in Australia, is richer for his contribution and is lucky to have benefited from his actions. Thank you Col.

regards
Dave Boyle
QLD
Australia

Posted by: mark crouse (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 15, 2014 07:33PM

Best Wishes and Condolences to Col's family, I will see you on the other side , Col my dear friend and we will built some great Rods.
Mark Crouse

Posted by: Arthur Long (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 15, 2014 09:14PM

Sincere condolences to his family, and friends. May you find comfort in his memory.

Posted by: Michael Danek (184.11.137.---)
Date: March 17, 2014 06:26PM

Sorry to hear of his passing. I never met him, wish I had. He was always a gentleman on the forum, and you could just tell from his posts that he was a quality guy, a guy you would like to know and spend time with. Yes, we will miss him.

Posted by: Lily Wang (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2014 08:55PM

Quentin and I are deeply saddened by the sudden loss of our dear friend Col. Because of Col, we attended ICRBE 2013 and met many wonderful people at the show. We will always remember Col for his warm personality and thoughtful suggestions for our business. Our thoughts and condolences to Col's family and friends. We will miss you, Col!

Lily Wang
DBlue Fishing

Date: March 18, 2014 05:26AM

G'day All

Cols funeral is tomorrow i have already passed on everyones condolences and good wishes its been a tough time for the family but hopefully some closure will come out of the day.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster