I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

prizm tape under guides
Posted by: William James (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2014 12:23PM

Has anyone used the prizm tape under the guides. I talked with a builder at the rod show who was displaying some rods he had done with the tape and it looked really good. I wrapped a rod with it and the edges are curling bad. It's really beautiful and I'd like to use it. I tried a little five min epoxy to try to fix it but this didn't work at all. I tried both color preserver and super glue on the seam but it still curls. I am frustrated because it looks really good but I can't use it like it is. I wish I had asked the builder more questions at the time. Does anybody remember who he was. His booth was just to the right when you came into the show. He had several rods on display and didn't seem to be selling anything other than maybe the rods he had. Thanks for any info.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: prizm tape under guides
Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 14, 2014 12:46PM

Try applying it and then wrap thread over the top like a guide wrap. Then gently warm it up with a hair dryer. Don't cook it, just warm the adhesive a bit, then set it aside to cool. Once cooled, unwrap the thread, remove any adhesive that might have squeezed out from under the tape, and apply some color preserver making sure the edges get covered. Then wrap your guide wrap thread up over the edges of the tape covering them. In this way only the short end of the tape is left exposed. if it's sealed with CP, it shouldn't get lifted by the epoxy applied over the CP.

I haven't actually tried what he does yet, but it seems to me that if you treat the tape like you would applying sheet abalone it should turn out fine. The problem I foresee is the overabundance of adhesive on the back of the tape for this type of application. Maybe there is a source for the raw tapes without the adhesive and backing paper applied; I don't know of any or even if that would makes things better or worse. Just an idea.

Posted by: David Spence (---.scansafe.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 01:52PM

That was Ken Preston's booth.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 14, 2014 02:52PM

Email Ken and see how he does it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: William James (---.sub-70-193-20.myvzw.com)
Date: March 14, 2014 09:14PM

Thanks all for your ideas and Ken's name. I'll try to get up with him. I wrapped a few pieces of tape and then wrapped some masking tape around it to hold it down. I am thinking after a few days it will get set in place and stay. I will see what Ken says because his looked really good and I know whatever he is doing works. Thanks again.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2014 04:39PM

This is what I passed on (plus a little more) ; put the tape on (do not stretch it); put on a coat of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails (clear nail polish); allow to dry; wrap guide & apply epoxy. If you want or need to you can apply color preserver over the Sally Hansen and then epoxy. The tape can overlap itself and can extend under the guide foot - as if it were an under wrap.

Posted by: William James (---.sub-70-193-11.myvzw.com)
Date: March 15, 2014 08:53PM

Thanks everyone for helping me get in touch with Ken. Thank you Ken for the reply and email. I think I can make this work now.

Posted by: Frank Willis (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 15, 2014 09:31PM

i somehow managed to miss Ken's booth at the show. Sorry because the use of the tape sounds interesting. What width tape are you using? I find some 1/2 inch on the inter-net but nothing thinner. Just wondering if rod taper causes a problem.

Posted by: William James (---.sub-70-193-11.myvzw.com)
Date: March 16, 2014 08:14AM

The tape is in a 25' roll 1" wide. An @#$%& seller called paperstreetplastics sells it. I think he calls it prism hoop tape. It comes in many different colors. I think it looks.really nice. Gives the rod a different look. I am using it on four king mackerel live bait rods I am re-doing. I'm just an amateur but I think it will look really good when done.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2014 03:05PM

here is one place ( sure there are others ) for tapes
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster