I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spine/Spline finding
Posted by: Josh Coburn (---.hsd1.ut.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 10:53AM

One more question. The rod I'm building is a 4 piece and I found the spine/spline on the 3 tip sections easy enough, but the but section is stiff enough that I'm having trouble finding the spine. Is it really that critical to find the spine on the butt section of the rod? If it matters the blank I'm using is a 10ft 5wt 4 piece MHX fly blank. I believe it is labeled a fast action but I haven't done any CCS stuff on it yet.

If it does make a difference in the finished rod, are there any tips for locating the spine by hand (I don't have any of the spine finder tools available) on stiff rod sections?

Thanks,
Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spine/Spline finding
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 11:04AM

Hello Josh.

The spine is no longer thought to be much of a factor in rod building, the method used mostly these days is the straightest axis, so I would not sweat it, it does not hurt to find the spine but it is really not needed.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 12:17PM

Josh,
Just lay the blank on a flat surface and roll the blank.

If you note any bends in the blank when you roll the blank,, make a decision if you want the bend in the up direction, or in the down direction.
Then, for multi piece rods use the same direction for all pieces of the multi piece blank.

Be safe

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2014 03:05PM

I don't worry much with the butt section. It is normally too stiff to make a difference and besides, a lot of it is covered by the grip anyway. I still spine my blanks unless there is a noticeable bend in the blank.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 04, 2014 03:28PM

Robert A. Guist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Josh.
>
> The spine is no longer thought to be much of a
> factor in rod building, the method used mostly
> these days is the straightest axis, so I would not
> sweat it, it does not hurt to find the spine but
> it is really not needed.
>
> Tight Wraps.

X2

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 03:43PM

I put a piece of tape in two places on the blank
Put it in my wrapper rollers turn it watching the tip When it is at it's high I mark that as the TOP or 0 degress

Or if you have a long table you can roll it on it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Josh Coburn (---.byu.edu)
Date: March 04, 2014 04:26PM

Robert A. Guist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Josh.
>
> The spine is no longer thought to be much of a
> factor in rod building, the method used mostly
> these days is the straightest axis, so I would not
> sweat it, it does not hurt to find the spine but
> it is really not needed.
>
> Tight Wraps.

Interesting! Is there an easy explanation as to why chose the straightest axis vs the spine? I haven't seen much about that.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 04:39PM

Josh, there is a good article regarding the rod spine and its irrelevance. Unhide your email and I will send you a copy, or email me for it.

Date: March 04, 2014 05:09PM

Josh

Do a searsh on this site on The Spine You will get so much to read about it
Then you can make your own desition on weather you want to use it or not

There was a post here a while back whare a builder was told that If he did not build acording to the Spine a spinning rod guided rod the guides would ( tend to go up from he 180 ) or lowest point they were at

IMPOSIBLE
Look at a Spiral wrap where the main guides are at 180 and hold the rod Upright
Take a spinning rod and with a good fish on try to turn the guides and bring them UP

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2014 05:13PM

At least two such articles are in the online library here.

Date: March 04, 2014 05:18PM

Another sourse of Quality Information

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 06:15PM

Josh,
I spine all my fly rods.

here is how I do it.
1. Spine the tip section (S4) by flexing and the spine is located when tot section jumps. Mark it with a grease pencil.
2. Spine the next section (S3). Mark it.
3. Assemble S4 and S3. Spine it again and adjust the spine mark on both if it changes.
4. Spine S2. Mark
5. Try to spine butt (S1). Mark if successful.
6 Assemble S1 and S2 and re-spine. Change spine marks if different.
7. Assemble all sections and check spine. If it changes - re mark the spine.

When you assemble the sections there is a good chance the spine will change. So final test is to assemble all sections. Takes longer to explain than do.

BTW - if after spinning a 4pc rod and it is crooked. Just rotate one section 180 degrees. You will still be spined with all sections assembled and it may straighten the blank.

Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2014 06:19PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 06:21PM

Tom, when I go to the Library, I do not see the "spine" article listed. I know it was there in the past.

Date: March 04, 2014 06:37PM

Tom,

Can you point me to the articles in the library? The only one I see is the "home-brew spine finder". I also only seem to see a category labeled "Most Recent Added" when I click on the library link with about 38 articles in it. Are there more articles than that? Maybe I need to learn to navigate this site better.

Date: March 04, 2014 06:39PM

Phil,

Thanks for that article! It was a really interesting read. Now I'm gonna have to go home and redo all my markings. Glad I asked around here first. :)

Josh

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2014 06:40PM

Here's a couple from the library:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 07:01PM

The good news is you can buy spine-finding tools at a great discount these days.

Date: March 04, 2014 07:12PM

Tom,

That first one about blank strength settled my last question about building on the spine (although I suppose I've been doing it backwards cause I would mark the stiffest axis and build on that not the true spine). Looks like the difference is fairly negligible.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 06, 2014 12:34AM

The more you build and actually fish with your rods, the more you will find that there is just a plethora of things in rod building that have minimal to squat influence on the fish-ability of your rods! My humble opinion after many years! ....... I caught several nice walleye and bass on my father's fiberglass rod from the 50's, last year in Minn. Built the same way today, it would be considered a piece of $%#@! rod. And I used an old Johnson Century reel with 10 year old mono on it. It was just fine. I felt the strikes, set the hook and fought the fish. Don't get caught up splitting too many hairs in rod building. Time is too short. Build, fish and enjoy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster