I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

printer
Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 09:11PM

Been hearing about this label printer that must have been at show. Sorry l could'nt attend this year. Any info on this would be appreciated. Make, model, ect. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: printer
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2014 09:15PM

Google LRT group.

Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 09:39PM

Thanks Tom, found it. Lots of choices. Which unit is best for rod labels.

Date: March 03, 2014 09:56PM

Pearl 270 seems more than sufficient.

Posted by: Dan O'Brien (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 11:29AM

Does anyone know how these labels compare to the Brother P-Touch labels?

Date: March 04, 2014 01:10PM

Far superior.

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.220.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: March 06, 2014 03:08AM

I purchased one from the expo they are really good the resolution is great and the software is fairly intellegent. I purchased it at the expo because it will run fine on 110 or 240v I just changed out the cord. For the price of this little printer its a ripper it can only do single colour metalics like silver on clear gold on clear, gold on black etc you just swap out the tape to suit. It comes with two tape cartridges which contain 26 feet of tape each so you get a whole heap of decals. I got the silver on clear and the gold on black because they were out of gold on clear.

Functionality of the software is suprisingly good you can import images in a range of formats and it automatically drops anywhite background with very good accuracy I was worried I may have had to remove it myself in my image programs so I was plesently surprised.

Set up was a breeze you load the disc in and follow the prompts it even sets up the printer drivers on Win7 so no problem there then you simply open the image program click the "select tape size" button which recognises which printer you are running then its just a matter of typing your text in the box or importing your graphics file. The program recognised allthe truetype fonts on my system in my widows font memu and actually uses the font in the names in the drop down list which was a nice touch if your like me with hundreds of fonts. I was told that it only recognises bitmap images which was dissapointing but to my surprise it had no problem handling my high res jpegs which saved time converting them over. The software also has a nifty little auto fix button which will scale images to suit the tape size with one click I tested it with a fairly detailed image and the reduction is size resulted in a smooth image even better than some higher end image editing programs.

As far as the quality of the decal produced again I was happy with the results it prints a very thin peel and stick decal, the metalic font is very hard to rub off unlike some other metalic peel and sticks the adhesive is strong and they lay well on an unpainted or matte blank I used in testing I can only assume gloss blanks would be just as good.

Whilst the printer is somewhat limited producing single colour decals for the price its a really nice piece of kit. I will continue to have my standard multi metallic graphics produced commercially in bulk this printer will still be used significantly especially for those one off customer name decals which I can now produce in just a few minutes for mere cents it saves me set up fees and having to wait sometimes for weeks just to create a name decal.

I have been looking into dry printers for a while now and everything I have looked at has been considerably more expensive so when I saw this at the expo then looked at the power adapter I could not get my money out quick enough.

I would have no problem recommending the printer to any builder who wants the ability to create one off decals, this is the machine to get. One last nice touch for you guys in the USA is the apple iphone or android app unfortunately this is not available to customers outside of the USA but here is how it works from my understanding. You get your customer to download and install the app they can then create their own decals in the app once done they hit send to you and you hit print I'm sure this feature would be great my customers would love to be able to do this as it gives them that little personal touch they can bragg to their mates when they are showing off their new custom rod.

Anyway sorry for such a lengthy review but its rare that such a well priced piece of technology impresses me as much as this does if you are considering purchasing one of these I would say its a no brainer grab it while they are at this price point
they are a real bargain.

cheers
Mark Newcombe

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: March 06, 2014 05:40AM

G'Day Mark thanks for that review you've made up my mind for me .I was tossing it up as to whether or not to buy one now I will definitely get one .I believe there is a supplier here in OZ just not sure who at the moment .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2014 06:33AM

Thanks for the review Mark. I am looking at purchasing one but I am not sure which one I would like. Please advise which you had purchase.

Corky
Corky's Custom Rods
Savannah, Georgia

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.220.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: March 06, 2014 06:34PM

I went with the 270 mate its plenty for my purpose.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2014 11:21PM

Hi Bob,
I understand your looking for info about the printer we showed at the. About 40 units were sold so far and I thing many more will come. Units come with a LifeTime Warranty and are very easy to use. I offered a "Show Special" units come compete with software for PC/Mac and include 2 1/2" tapes with Free Shipping. This special will end on March 31, 2014. Let me know if you have any questions. We offer Free Training of software to all clients. I have been selling to the custom rod builders here in south Florida for 35 years. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2014 12:36AM by Larry Tobin.

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2014 11:26PM

Hi Dan,

You asked about how durable our tapes are compared to the Brothers. I sell both but for your needs, I suggest the K-Sun Label Shop tapes. Unlike the Brothers, they are only 1 layer of tape. Tapes are industrial and are Scratch, UV, Chemical resistant. They are also heat and cold resistant. If you want, I can supply you with the specs on the testing for you to read. Just let me know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster