I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

supplies needed to start rod building
Posted by: Gerald Buys (50.40.240.---)
Date: March 03, 2014 09:57PM

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this, in fact I haven't built any rods as of yet. I am interested in advice on what tools I need or how to build what I need.

Thanks much, Gerry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: supplies needed to start rod building
Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: March 03, 2014 10:24PM

Go to a rod building class before you buy anything.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 10:40PM

Buy Tom Kirman's book, it will be your best investment! It wail guide you through all you need to begin.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2014 11:24PM

Mud Hole has a winder and a drying machine under the CRB brand that are quite affordable.
For your first build you will need thread, epoxy and two part finish, reamers, single edge blades and masking tape.
MH and other suppliers offer kits with the basic items...
If you buy your first couple of rods as kits you will receiver all the parts needed. This is a good way to begin.
There are You Tube videos on how to build rods and how to make some of the tools you need.
Look for the excellent Flex Coat series called "How We Do It."
Get Bit Outdoors and MH both offer free DVD's with their rod kits.
There used to be Pac-Bay rod kits that came with everything...Epoxy, finish, two spools of thread and all the rod parts.
I think they are history, but someone out there may still have some of these kits available.
Most suppliers are very helpful.
If you explain you are starting from scratch, I will bet anyone you contact will help you put together everything you need.
Good Luck!
Garry2rs

Posted by: Gerald Buys (50.40.240.---)
Date: March 04, 2014 10:36AM

Thanks for the advice, I'll begin looking in to everything.

Thanks Gerry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 12:21PM

Gerald,
Actually about all that you need are some razor blades, measuring devices - like a tape measure, a pencil, some craft sticks for mixing glue and some cardboard to mix items and keep the surfaces clean.

You can also use a telephone book to run thread through to keep tension on the thread. Then you can use a cardboard box with v's cut into each end of the box to lay the rod as you wrap it.

Go for it.

If you really get into rod building, you will likely spend multi thousands to really set up your shop or work area. But many many folks build rods and spend only a few $$ to build a rod.

In particular, if you buy a rod building kit, you really don't need very many other tools to build with.

Good luck

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 12:22PM

Gerald,
If you are handy and or if you have some other shop tools, you can very much minimize the spending of any big $$ to really enjoy the rod building vocation.

Be safe

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2014 01:13PM

While it's possible to MacGyver a rod using a notched card board box, a tea cup and a telephone book, this is far easier for someone who has built several rods that for a novice.
Likewise you can dry a rod by turning it every few minutes for an hour then every half hour for three days and seven minutes...
On the other hand, if you buy the proper tools, life will be easier.
If you decide that you don't want to continue rod building, you can always sell your stuff and recoup most of your investment.
Garry2rs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2014 01:15PM by Garry Thornton.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: March 04, 2014 03:26PM

I also would recommend the Flex coat how we do it series of you tube videos. Watch them and you'll get a good idea of what you have on hand that can be adapted into rodbuilding service, and what things you might want to acquire. There are other series of tutorials out there, but I think the flex coat are the best among them. The Get Bit and Mudhole videos are good follow ups to reinforce the Flex Coat videos.

While you can turn a rod by hand to let the finish level out and cure, do yourself a favor and make your first purchase a simple rod dryer motor. It's not a very expensive tool, and it will help you get a nice professional looking finish to your rods.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 06:04PM

Hi Gerald and welcome to the hobby. The first thing we recommend is to order one of our FREE catalogs (follow the link below)
[www.mudhole.com]

When you get the catalog (or look online at the catalog PDf file) the first few pages are a great how to section as well as need tools etc. We then recommend you start with a kit that meets your needs and one of the basic start-up tools packages.
[www.mudhole.com]

Feel free to call us with any questions and enjoy the hobby.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: jim jackson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2014 10:03PM

I started not too long ago. The flexcoat startup kit got me started, it cost maybe $150. It has all the epoxy, hand wrapper with thread tensioner, DVD, book, etc etc. . One thing I wish i had purchased early on: the Madeira 30 spool assortment for $98 from Mudhole. This is a real bargain at ~$3 per 1100 yard spool. This is used for the decorative cross wraps on the fore grip or butt section of split grip rods. I did not take a class, just used the flexcoat booklet, a few youtube videos from flexcoat and Getbit and others, and then for decorative wraps, billy vivona's book and Dale clemens' book. Just get what you need, and get started on a cheap blank, reel seat, grips and guides. You can easily do those for under $40, depending on the type of rod you want to build. Good luck. Jim j

Posted by: Gerald Buys (50.40.237.---)
Date: March 06, 2014 11:16AM

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Gerry.

Posted by: Steve Stansberry (206.246.9.---)
Date: November 09, 2014 08:18AM

I also have just entered into the rodbuilding fun, found this site and have read 22 pages of forum trying to absorb the do's and don'ts for probies. feeling a little intimidated by the large group of professionals with the info they have it still intrigues me. I guess the area of building would be mainly freshwater for starters living here in the Ozarks trout, bass, panfish etc etc. I've not been a big contributor to forums so bear with my ignorance as I thirst for anything reference and thats where I get into trouble due to my over analyzing everthing and low confidence to avoid mistakes and rework, the price of blanks has me concerned. How does one deal with the broken rod guarantee as we all know rods are broke but the reasons can be a hit to your profit--getting out there now need to stay on subject getting started looking to invest in the ATC power wrapper pretty much have most other tools books dvds recommendations doing youtube just need to jump in and stert swimming sorry for the excess thanskfor the site and all who contribute

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster