I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

8ft 6wt Blank?
Posted by: Mark James (125.253.98.---)
Date: March 02, 2014 07:38PM

Does anyone here know where I could get a 8ft 6wt fly blank? Or know of some other 7 1/2-8ft blank that could become a 6wt blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8ft 6wt Blank?
Posted by: John Samuels (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2014 07:57PM

Can't recall ever seeing an 8ft 6wt ... I don't recommend this, But you could trim a foot off the Butt end without affecting the action tremendously. It will affect it though. (Never trim the tip end)
What kind of situation would a 9 ft not work? A fast 9'6" 6wt is a sweet casting rod in normal conditions....

Date: March 02, 2014 08:07PM

I wanna use it in some tightly covered creeks for some bass and estaury perch. But something that can still chuck a streamer for the open sections also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2014 08:13PM by Mark James.

Date: March 02, 2014 08:11PM

I thought about trimming a 9ft blank, but thought will see if there are any that are already available. Dosent have to be the nicest casting rod out, so even if someone knows of a spin blank that also makes a nice short fly blank will do.

Posted by: robert knox (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 02, 2014 08:27PM

Dan Craft

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2014 08:31PM

If you're using it on narrow creeks and don't plan on casting long distances, you're apt to find that many 5-weight rods will perform better with a 6-weight line. And there are many 8' 5-weight blanks out there.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 02, 2014 08:48PM

On a lark I tried a fly reel (6-7 weight line) on a steelhead hotshot blank and thought it cast very well (hs1023f). It could be your ticket given that I understand your perch can reach 10kg. The blank has a lot of backbone and I built it for sight casting live bait to dolphin. They do make lower powered and shorter ones.

A popping rod blank is worth considering as well.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: March 03, 2014 06:54AM

Batson make an 8'6" 6wt That I've built a bunch of for guys doing the same type fishing you are. I took the 4 pc version out to the Yellowstone for streamer throwing. great blank.

Posted by: Craig Johnson1 (---.up.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 07:49AM

Pac Bay trad II. MF action. Saw it in Anglers Workshop catalog the other day. I second Herb on the CTS blank. Exceptional blanks!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 07:57PM by Craig Johnson1.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 03, 2014 08:03AM

Mark,
Your email is hidden. If your budget can take it I will send you the CTS specs on 8'0" #6. Or any other configuration.
Herb
Distrib. CTS Fly Blanks

Posted by: eric zamora (166.108.254.---)
Date: March 03, 2014 02:54PM

as an alternative, there is a premier fly rod company (four characters in its name) that offers a specialty rod which might fit the bill. they mark this rod's line requirements in grains, not weights, but it might work and they might offer it as a blank. specifically made for bass. try unhiding your email address and you might get more responses. :)

PS: ok, i see now Mudhole offers three options for you, so no need to be secretive. A PacBay Tradition II and Rainforest 8' 6wt in 2 piece configuration, as well as the Sage Bass II in 7'-11" 6wt

eric
fresno, ca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2014 03:06PM by eric zamora.

Date: March 04, 2014 03:42AM

Thanks for all the replys so far guys. Very much appreciated and I've found them super helpful.
I think that I will go with the pac bay suggestion. Good cheap option to begin and get a feel to see if a shorter rod is going to be much of an advantage or not.
Has any one here had a cast of the 8ft 6wt pacbay rainforrest II blank?
Later on if a shorter rod does seem to be the answear I was looking for I will most probally invest in a cts custom blank. I've had a play with my mates rods which are rolled on cts blanks and was very impressed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster