I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

recoil tip tops
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.direcpc.com)
Date: February 13, 2014 10:06PM

Hello Forum,

Quick question for those more experienced than myself. i just recieved 6 St Croix Legend Inshore rods to replace tip tops. Guide loves the recoil guides because they are bullet proof. I see that Recoil makes a tip top. My question is will the tip top stand up to redfish and snook on braid.

I have read the stories of recoils grooving [rodbuilding.org]

but my guide is tired of his charters knocking out the rings on the tip tops from reeling lures up tight. What experiences has anyone had with the recoil TT and grooving

I am all ears.

Thank you for your help.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2014 10:36PM by Jim Scott.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: recoil tip tops
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 01:42AM

You can also use Minima 4 Tip Top for your needs.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 08:51AM

We have a limited stock of original Mildrum Carboloy ring tip tops in sz 08 and 10 ring.
Extra hard ring soldered into the SS frame.
Not on our web site, give me a holler if interested.
Also, Batson and Pac Bay both have Carbide ring tops available.
We can S.O. either.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.rcrracing.com)
Date: February 14, 2014 09:40AM

Have you tried the atc ringlock tops. Nanolite will hold up to braid and the ringlock helps from losing the insert.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 12:31PM

Jim,
Lots of folks around here use the Recoil tips with out any issue of grooving.
But the folks here are fishing inland and do not have the size or running of the line as is the case with the fish being caught in your area.

I might suggest that you try to find local folks with experience using these guides as tip tops.

But, of course the other way to look at it is that it takes about 10 seconds to change a tip if needed.

Good luck

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 12:40PM

Jim,
I have been using Recoil Tip-Tops for years on fly rods. No issues of grooving but not the best testing ground to determine this. The recoils are a nickel/titanium alloy so I think you are safe

If concerned - I would try the new Snakebrand chromed tip-tops. They definitely will not groove and are actually lighter than the recoils.
Herb

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 03:25PM

Thank you for the replies. I think the Minima's may be the answer, double swagged so the ring cant come loose and very affordable that if he doesn't like them i can swap them out for the RingLocks as Wes mentioned, which by the way are my go to TT. I have six rods to repair so i will do 2 recoils, 2 ring locks, and 2 Minima's. And see what happens.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 06:37PM

Jim,
With respect to the Minima's.

Be sure to specify the Minima 4s. These are the pac bay guides that are double swagged

Be safe

p.s.
I have u sed a lot of the Minima 4's and have had no rods returned for line grooving.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 14, 2014 06:57PM

As Roger stated
I have read that they are not going to TELL weather they are the 3's or the 4's So make sure when you order you get the 4's The better of the two

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 15, 2014 12:23PM

If you tie a leader to the end of your line you might save some time and $ by testing before you buy whether the knot connection passes easily through the eye of the tip-top - while entering or departing at an angle!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster