I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cord/Twine For Reel Seat Arbor
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 03, 2014 11:20AM

I was putting together a handle the other day. It's for a large-ish surf bait rod, and when I slid my size-24 reel seat down over the blank, I realized that the space between the blank and the inside of the reel seat was small, too small, in my mind, to use a urethane reel seat arbor. Epoxying the arbor into the reel seat, waiting a day for it to cure, and then reaming away 98% of the arbor material seemed to be a waste to me, both of the material and of my time.

So I tried a thread wrap arbor, but even with Size E nylon, the gap was too large, and it would have taken too many passes to get the girth I needed. I ditched that idea.

I went through some other options in my head: masking tape I hate, and haven't used in years. Drywall tape is better than masking tape, but I've never been able to use it without getting epoxy all over everything: my hands, the reel seat, the dog, etc. I was sitting there wondering what to do when I saw the roll of nylon twine (mason line) that I use for surf rod grips. The size, about an eighth of an inch in diameter, seemed about right, so I wrapped in the blank -- and voila! The reel seat fit perfectly, snug but not too tight.

I had never done this before, but I figured what the heck, so I tried it, and epoxied the reel seat over the twine.

I guess I will find out what happens when I get home tonight, but I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried this before. Will it work? Or will I end up unraveling the twine, and using some other material?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cord/Twine For Reel Seat Arbor
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (50.153.116.---)
Date: February 03, 2014 11:25AM

I have used it in the past. Its still out there.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2014 11:37AM

I prep the inside of the seat and the blank where the seat will go When I wrap any type of twine I make open diamons so the glue will hold onto the blank and the inside of the seat
The extra glue will add a Tad of weight

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2014 09:46PM

I use the cord that cooks use for tieing meat for cooking, wraped in a cross wrap open space to the blank is important, the cord absorbs the epoxe as apposed to nylon cord,
its fairly thick so it takes up space without a lot of layors.

Curt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster