I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heating Finish
Posted by: Daniel Peterson (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 21, 2014 01:01PM

I have read many post about heating the finish to get it level after you apply it. A number of people use a heat gun or hair dryer. Doesn't this give more opportunity for dust to get into the finish. Would a light bulb held under the wrap for a short time work better?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heating Finish
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 21, 2014 01:09PM

I use a micro butane torch...just have to be careful not to get too close or stop too long.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.123.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: January 21, 2014 01:13PM

I don't think many would use a hair dryer, as like you say it will create dust. I prefer an alcohol flame Torch/lamp, levels the finish nicely and great for removing bubbles.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2014 01:15PM by Steve Mcleod.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2014 01:46PM

I have a couple of goose neck lamps that I lower to about 4" above the rod while rotating. Works well for me.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.cisco.com)
Date: January 21, 2014 01:46PM

I also use a small butane torch - always keep it moving, never sit in a spot for long.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 21, 2014 01:57PM

The finish will level itself - check the finish in your mixing cup if you don't believe it.

Heating is generally done for just two reasons - to remove bubbles and to help the mix reflow if you took too long applying it to the rod. In that latter case, the reflow allows it to level. You have to be careful though - too much heat will boil the finish resulting in micro bubbles, as well as causing the epoxy to lose some of its designed in characteristics.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2014 03:22PM

As Tom says be careful Some finishes if gotten to warm will turn a dark color I use a hair dryer Start it away from the rod so any dust blows out of it But I don't heat too much I let it level itself
Unless you have a problem to try and fix and your place is warm I would not

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 21, 2014 03:42PM

I did a first coat on a bare rod where the decal will go and it did not level very well, the rest of the rod did. I will try another thin coat and use an alcohol burner and warm it after I apply the second coat and see if that helps.
Thanks for the help.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2014 04:13PM

If you did the guides AND the decal area the finish may have started to set up
It will be better to do the guides and then when doing the decal area mix a new batch

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: January 21, 2014 04:53PM

if I have a bubble or some need to "heat it" I just blow on it. Hot breath with do the trick without fear of buring or scorching the finish.

Date: January 21, 2014 05:49PM

Yep if only I could go back in time. I realized what I had done afterwords. It has been a few years since I have built any rods and forgot some of those things.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 21, 2014 06:05PM

I had trouble with wavy epoxy until someone told me that they go against the grain and apply very very thin epoxy coats in the rod length direction. I also switched from a high-build epoxy to a more normal or low build epoxy. Between switching to a low build and applying very thin coats in the rod length direction I've masted the smooth level finish. I was also getting small bubbles in the finish before I made the change and now I don't. I also don't apply the finish with the rod turning. I also started to mix my epoxy in a mixer. I may have a few small bubbles in the finish before applying so a straw and my breath will take care of those. Sometimes a small amount of heat is also used, but very rarely. The method that I use now is really quite different from when I first started. Need to do what works for you.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2014 06:34PM

I always use heat from a heat gun on all of my rods.

I keep the shop free of dust and the heat gun is always allowed to blow for a bit, before directing toward a rod.

I have never had an issue with dust in the finish.

As I have always said, I use brief bursts of heat on the finish. Just enough to thin the finish where it is needed and never any issues.

I find it easier to direct the heat from the heat gun as opposed to a flame.

Be safe

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2014 07:59PM

I use a heat gun all the time, and if anyone see dust in the finish I'd have to charge them extra for it.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2014 08:02PM

I never use heat of any kind any longer - haven't for years. Used to use a soldering iron held over or under wraps.
If the finish is wrong I use a dry brush and wipe it off. If the finish is too cured to do that I wet a brush with alcohol - wipe it all off and re-do.
herb

Posted by: Daniel Peterson (---.dsl.farmtel.net)
Date: January 22, 2014 06:13AM

Well I used an alcohol burner last night after I put another coat on and it leveled right out. Thanks for all your help!

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 22, 2014 07:11PM

60W light bulb about 5-6" above turning rod (GENTLE HEAT !!!)

rog

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 22, 2014 07:43PM

The 60W bulb works well when you know there are no more air bubbles possible. If not sure you could end up with cured air bubbles in the finish. Don't ask how I know this, luckily I caught it early enough to correct the situation.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster