I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wayne Fowlkes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 21, 2014 12:54PM

I don't normally like to get involved in these sort of things, but I know how it feels to have falsehoods spread about yourself and hate to see it done to others. Often I know the story behind things and for that reason would like to set the record straight.

Many of you know Wayne Fowlkes who operates out of Virginia Beach, VA. In a long ago issue of RodMaker (volume 9 #1) I published a photo that Wayne submitted of some rods he had wrapped. The photo was taken by David Lagrange of Gudebrod at Rainbow Studios near Wayne's shop. The photo contained 6 rods. Two of them had completed wraps but had not been finished with epoxy (4th and 6th from left).

A rod builder (banned here previously for repeated use of very obscene language - which somehow makes me a bad guy) has recently publicly claimed that the 4th rod is his, and that Wayne copied and pasted it into and amongst his other rods in the photo. Not to be disrespectful to Wayne, but I doubt he'd know how to use Photoshop even if he had that program or similar on his computer. Wayne is, let's say, "old school" and not exactly up to speed with computer photo editing programs. The crux of the matter is that Wayne's integrity was called into question, unfairly.

The magazine did not credit Wayne with the patterns in those wraps - the Photo Gallery only credits who did the work, not where or who originated it. Wayne did not take credit for any of the patterns, although I'm sure some in the photo are indeed his. Wayne once copied an intricate guide wrap I came up with, but didn't take credit for the design. He doesn't need to - Wayne goes back a long, long way and has many original wrap patterns to his credit. Wayne isn't the kind of guy that would need to take credit for somebody else's pattern. His body of work speaks for itself and many others have wrapped his patterns, also without taking credit for the patterns themselves. In short, it was the work and the rods in the photo that were credited to Wayne. Nothing else.

Not a single one of the guys who jumped on this false bandwagon bothered to call Wayne and talk to him. They all owe him an apology. I've never understood why people can't pick up the phone and ask the guy on the other end what his side of the story is. Any time you form an opinion based on just one side of a story you're apt to make a fool of yourself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wayne Fowlkes
Date: January 21, 2014 02:55PM

I've already gotten a few calls and emails about this and it occurs to me that some aren't bothering to read the post. They're just looking at the photos.

In a nutshell:

Wayne didn't cut and paste anything into that photo. He wouldn't know how nor would he need to.

I didn't cut and paste anything into that photo. Why would I?

Wayne sent a photo of himself holding the rod. He's always had it in his possession.

Wayne didn't take credit for the pattern.

I didn't give Wayne credit for the pattern.

A few guys read the builder's claim and without doing the wise thing and getting the other side of the story, jumped to a false conclusion.

Re: Wayne Fowlkes
Date: January 21, 2014 04:11PM

Following is Wayne's response to the false claim that was made.

I hope that the message that Tom posted about me settles the confusion. I like to do different pattern & some time my customers bring me patterns they have seen on this site & I do them for my customers. I also find patterns that I like & I do them for my self the rod in question is one I did many years ago & I still have not finished it I guess I will get around to it one day.I did copy the wrong picture once & sent it out to someone some time a go & I did apologize for that mistake. I did do one just like it but I sent the picture that I used to copy the wrap by. if I copy a wrap or not I do try to let people know if it is a original wrap of mine or one that I have copied. The rods in the Rodmaker photo are all mine. I did not copy and paste another rod from someone else in there as was claimed. Anyway I guess if someone is talking about me they aren't talking about someone else so be it. something about this industry I have never understood why there are some individuals out there allways trying to find fault with someone they do not even know or have met. if any one out there has any questions about me or my work E mail me at waynescustomtackle@cox.net & I will try to answere Any questions you may have
Best Regards Wayne ( Wayne's Custom Tackle INC.LLC. )

Apology
Date: January 22, 2014 09:32PM

Wayne has received an apology for the false accusation. See below:

Wayne

I'm sorry for the false accusation. I was going through old magazines while cleaning out my shop reminiscing, saw that photo and lost my mind. I did a wrap EXACTLY like it on an SSB 2pc awhile back. I guess its just coincidence then.

Sincerely, Michael Joyce

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster