I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
which is stronger
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2014 09:21AM

Which is stronger Mono or braid

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: which is stronger
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2014 09:26AM

They are equal if you have equal breaking strength.

Forget about the numbers on the reel of line.

Put the line between a scale and a fixed point and pull until the line breaks.

Then, find another line that has the identical breaking strength.

This is sort of like a Ford or Chevy question. Which is better? They both do the job, just select the one that works for you in your particular environment.

Be safe

Date: January 16, 2014 09:29AM

I thought braid was a lot stronger them mono At the same 80 mono or 80 braid ??

breaking strength. is very subjective

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 09:34AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: January 16, 2014 09:54AM

Both are the same. The differences between the 2 are:
1) Diameter, Braid is thinner at the same breaking strain to mono.
2) Braid is lower memory than mono.
3) Braid has no stretch where as mono stretches to provide a better buffer against fish.
4) sinking speed, Braid will sink faster.
5) Abrasion resistance in braid is much lower than mono so rocks, shells etc. effect it more and it will break quicker over these types of ground.
Each has its own applications for instance I like to use mono mainline and a braid trace as it camouflages better on the bottom of the lake.

But to answer the main question as Roger said if both are the same breaking strain the are the same strength.

Andi Robb

Date: January 16, 2014 10:54AM

I had asked because I saw this list and it made me wonder

[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2014 11:04AM

That is pretty confusing, I don't have a clue why they would have done that.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: January 16, 2014 11:08AM

Thanks for that Todd

Now i don't feel like I am loosing it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 16, 2014 11:14AM

Maybe it is more to do with line characteristics rather than line strength?

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Date: January 16, 2014 11:20AM

I guess if I wanted to know I could call them ??? Naa

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 16, 2014 11:20AM

That was all that I could figure but on a factory rod not a blank.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2014 11:21AM

It is usually a reflection of line capacity for the reels that would pair with that blank.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2014 01:11PM

Why would 80 pound braid be stronger than 80 pound mono or an 80 pound test piece of wire?
Eight pounds is 80 pounds!!!

Now, the fact is most mono is way under rated and there has a lot of stupid advertising "My 10 pound line is stronger than your 10 pound line!"
So if that's true, then the stronger ten pound line isn't ten pound line it's mislabeled 12 or 15 or whatever! Well isn't it?

It is hard for manufactures to add 5 or 10 pounds of strength to braid because it is a weave and the number of fibers in each strand of the weave has to be the same...
Therefore the next increment might be 4 or 7 or 12 pounds of added strength. To keep the customers happy, the labels are printed to show round numbers, just like with mono.

When I buy braid I try to disregard the strength and look at the diameter. If I was happy using 20 pound mono for Musky, I can replace it with the same diameter braid (100lb) and I will have gained 5 times the line strength. On the other hand I can drop down to 80 pound braid and reduce my line's visibility etc. and still have overkill line strength wise.

It is often stated that mono is more abrasion resistant than braid...This is only really true if you compare two lines using the same pound test, however things change if you compare lines of the same diameter! Forty pound Power Pro is the same diameter as ten pound mono, now, which one do you think will survive the longest if you drag it through a Zebra Mussel or rocky environment?

Braid doesn't sink faster than mono. Throw them on the water and they both float. If you notice a difference in use, I suspect that it's diameter at work again.

Stretch is of no value in fishing line.
The so-called buffer effect is advertising @#$%& created by mono makers....There is an old saying in sales and promotion..."If you have a problem, BRAG about it!"
Before braid no mono line company ever mentioned stretch other than to call their line Low Stretch...All line had it and no one wanted to talk about it.
When braid arrived, mono makers had a problem, which they suddenly started describing as a benefit. Line stretch just makes it harder to set the hook and to keep the line tight while fighting a fish.
When I was using 20 pound mono in heavy cover I needed a TV show, eye-crossing hook set to compensate for the stretch in the line...Now , with braid, I just need to tighten the line and the hook pretty well sets itself...I can also use rods with more flex and that weigh less, cast farther and are easier to use for a full day. Crank-baits with small treble hooks need softer rods than baits with a large single hook regardless of the type of line being used.

The one place I like to use mono is for top-water baits. Braid is so limp that top-waters often run over the line and the hooks get fouled. I still use 20 pound mono on my top-water rod because the stiffness of the line keeps it away from the bait most of the time.

Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: January 16, 2014 01:15PM

Andi
i think mono will sink faster than braid. that's why there is new gen of braid specialized to sink for carp fishing

Mike
X2 on that

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 16, 2014 02:36PM

Braid actually floats.
Braid usually overtests. Ratings are approximated to allow for reduction in strength when knotted.

Date: January 16, 2014 02:42PM

hmmmmmmmmm, no braid I have used floats. This is why I use a mono top shot for top waters so the line will float.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: January 16, 2014 02:58PM

Garry

Why would 80 pound braid be stronger than 80 pound mono

because it is made of Areo Space materials ?????

Was braid not ( invented ) to give a Stronger thinner line To be better then mono ???

I am just grabbing at straws here

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2014 03:14PM

Most braids float. Braid specifically designed to sink usually has a stand of Gore weaved in to make it more dense.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: January 16, 2014 03:43PM

I can see reasons why St. Croix would label their rods like that.

1) Many saltwater fisherman are going to use a mono top shot over braid. You don't want a big fish spooling you, snapping the braid, and making off with several hundred yards of costly line. So fish 65# braid on our rod with a 30# mono top shot.

2) Mono does stretch. Get even 50 yards of line out and it is hard to do a strong enough hookset to break even 20# mono. The knot end of that mono isn't seeing the same force that the tip end of the rod is. Sudden loads (think catching a stationary object while high speed trolling) are more likely to break the blank before the mono might break.

3) I have found most guys can tie a knot in mono and preserve a much greater percentage of the actual line strength. That isn't so easy with braid.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: January 16, 2014 04:04PM

I have checked out many types of knots of mono to braid --braid to mono
A google search brings this up
Then again when you get into Reall heavy Fish Will they hold up ???
I would think a good glue would help Knots have been the main thing that does not hold with braid
i think I have read that braid tends to cut into itself

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: January 16, 2014 04:20PM

I agree that they are probably trying to tell you what reel to use but that is really confusing!
Braid sinks down faster than mono but both will sit on the surface due to surface tension. This is why most carp anglers after casting will "sink" the line by holding the rod tip under the surface for a minute or two.
The only reason both lines don't sink straight away is they usually have a weight ratio of less than 1 whereas waters is 1.
I was referring to the property of the line underwater.
Andi Robb

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster