I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: which is stronger
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2014 05:11PM

Will no one answer my last post

Why would 80 pound braid be stronger than 80 pound mono

because it is made of Areo Space materials ????? More Hype

OR IS IT JUST HYPE ???? Which i would consider ---- Bull

Or do I have to go and do a Google search and see what i find More hype

Which will only Confuse me more -- Any trouth out there Any thing Written In Stone

I mean My President went on TV and LIED to us all A little Trouth Would be nice

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 05:29PM by bill boettcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2014 05:50PM

Breaking strength maybe wrongly listed, but the strength is not SUBJECTIVE!! It either breaks at the listed strength or the listing is wrong.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2014 06:30PM

So your saying - bend over and take it ????

Am I to tell my customers that - @#$%& No

O gee you lost a good fish cause the line broke

ARE YOU KIDDING

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2014 06:48PM

Bill, you are certainly in rare form tonight.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: January 16, 2014 07:27PM

No Bill, we are saying you are being hard headed. The only 80# mono that breaks at 80 pounds (or below) is IGFA listed mono. All other brands on mono will break above 80 pounds. How much more above depends on brand/type.

So does that mean that 80# mono is stronger than 80# mono?????

BTW, ever seen IGFA rated braid???

And if braid is stronger than mono wouldn't St. Croix rate the rods the other way around? As in 50# mono or 30# braid? If anything they are suggesting the opposite of what you are saying.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2014 07:53PM

Ten years ago manufacturers recommended a range of mono line weights for their rods. Those of us using braid were spooling line of the same diameter as the mono's recommended, but it was three to five times stronger than those mono lines listed. Some folks said we were voiding our warranties....I believe that St.Croix is just bridging that gap. Welcome to the 21st. Century.

The International Game Fish Association keeps line class records for game fish.
For people interested in challenging these records there are special lines available that are tested to actually break at the weight listed on the spool.
For everybody else, if you care, you can test it yourself or just except whats printed on the box.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2014 08:14PM

Bill,

That line rating has absolutely nothing to do with the line's strength or the rod blank. As has been pointed out by Russ and others, if it had anything whatsoever to do with physics, the line ratings would be reversed. Due to the stretch in mono, the blank would see a significantly lower average force applied to it during shock loading while casting and hook setting, as this is going the lengthen the time that forces are applied to the rod. A line with zero stretch and a rigid (infinitely stiff) rod would see an infinite force applied for an infinitely short period of time during shock loading. In the real world, the force applied vs. time looks like a sharp spike with its width determined by the properties of the line, rod, casting style, etc.

Also, as has been pointed out the breaking strength of a line is as objective of a quantity as you can have. It is what it is, and anything printed on the box is just marketing. As an example, I regularly use Trilene XT in 10lb. test, and it breaks well beyond 10lb., I believe in the 17-20lb. range. As nice as it would be to have every line held to some sort of standard for labeling, it just isn't likely to happen.

The material whether is nylon, spectra/dyneema, or fluorocarbon doesn't make a difference when comparing breaking strengths, just as it doesn't matter whether an object that is a foot long is made of wood, lead, steel, or cotton, a foot is a foot, and a pound of force is a pound of force.

Any other discussion on line type behavior falls into the same sort of conversation as whether to choose a graphite or fiberglass rod blank. Each has its merits, each excels in certain applications, and given enough experience, many will find uses for both types of line and both types of rod blanks.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 08:16PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: January 16, 2014 09:29PM

Very well said Joe
Andi

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 13, 2014 03:41PM

The braid diameter-for-diameter is stronger than mono if you are just talking straight-strength.

But it's not so simple - there are different types of line strength, including straight strength, knot strength, shock strength, and abrasion resistance.

In the real world, when actually fishing, you'll probably have to tie a knot in your line at some point... monos generally have much better knot strength than braid. In fact, with a very good knot and good mono, it is possible to approach the strength of braid.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster