I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wannabe rod builder
Posted by: Joel Massey (---.igiles.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 10:29AM

Hello all. New here and have been enjoying all the reading and info here. I am in middle Tennessee and love surf fishing. Sure I fish a lot at home, but think about the surf daily. I have been rolling the idea of rod building around for a while and have finally gotten the time to get serious about it. I am going to start building a wrapper and dryer this weekend. You can imagine how many rod builders are around here, not to mention surf rod builders. I guess what I am looking for is any info on where the best and most economical place is to buy blanks and other supplies is. Also if anyone would like to take on a newby and be sort of a mentor would be great. Everybody needs somebody to have as a go to guy for info and help. My thoughts are to build rods for family and friends. Thanks a lot up front and tight lines to all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wannabe rod builder
Posted by: Lou Auret (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 10:45AM

Joel,
sponsors on left can help you get blanks etc.
Start with less expensive ones.
I am in Memphis: if you are ever near there drop in.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 12:56PM

Surf rods are costly. Shipping on them is too. So for all those reasons I'd start with other rods first. Build what you will use the most first so you can judge things faster. Don't get hung up on labels. Just because a blank/rod is marketed for a particular fish doesn't mean it couldn't be better used for something very different. This is one of the real keys to building your own...and also one of the hardest to get a handle on.

Your best deals on blanks are going to be closeouts, overstocks, and blems. Black Friday is a very good time for deals too. Utmost is a good place to watch. They have a 8'10" blank right now that could work for you. You could use it at home bouncing jigs off the bottom below damns for rockfish. Some of the steelhead/salmon rods will make a nice light class surf rod.

Nothing beats experience. It is best to get your hands on as many brands and types of blanks as possible. You don't have to pay a lot to end up with a nice rod. I lived in your area back in the 70's. Popping blanks, spin jig, spin, and mag bass could all be used. They would do for largemouth, smallmouth, crappie and white bass. Live bait blanks can work well for bigger catfish. The idea is to build a mental database of rod tapers and actions and how they equate to a finished rod.

Think low cost and volume at first (IMHO). Forget the fancy cork and go with EVA. Forget the titanium SIC guides and try Minima's. Regular black nylon thread on a black blank is very forgiving and along with a metallic trim band and inlay can look nice enough. Flex coat is a good finish to start with and rod bond is a good choice in adhesive. Better to do something easy perfectly than something complicated poorly.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 11, 2014 01:29PM

2X what Russell wrote!

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Surf rods are costly. Shipping on them is too.
> So for all those reasons I'd start with other rods
> first. Build what you will use the most first so
> you can judge things faster. Don't get hung up on
> labels. Just because a blank/rod is marketed for
> a particular fish doesn't mean it couldn't be
> better used for something very different. This is
> one of the real keys to building your own...and
> also one of the hardest to get a handle on.
>
> Your best deals on blanks are going to be
> closeouts, overstocks, and blems. Black Friday is
> a very good time for deals too. Utmost is a good
> place to watch. They have a 8'10" blank right now
> that could work for you. You could use it at home
> bouncing jigs off the bottom below damns for
> rockfish. Some of the steelhead/salmon rods will
> make a nice light class surf rod.
>
> Nothing beats experience. It is best to get your
> hands on as many brands and types of blanks as
> possible. You don't have to pay a lot to end up
> with a nice rod. I lived in your area back in the
> 70's. Popping blanks, spin jig, spin, and mag
> bass could all be used. They would do for
> largemouth, smallmouth, crappie and white bass.
> Live bait blanks can work well for bigger catfish.
> The idea is to build a mental database of rod
> tapers and actions and how they equate to a
> finished rod.
>
> Think low cost and volume at first (IMHO). Forget
> the fancy cork and go with EVA. Forget the
> titanium SIC guides and try Minima's. Regular
> black nylon thread on a black blank is very
> forgiving and along with a metallic trim band and
> inlay can look nice enough. Flex coat is a good
> finish to start with and rod bond is a good choice
> in adhesive. Better to do something easy
> perfectly than something complicated poorly.

Posted by: Joel Massey (---.igiles.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 02:38PM

Thanks alot Russ for the advice. That was my thoughts doing some "cheap practice" rods and work my way up. I have been looking at some steelhead rods also. I'm like a little kid at christmas. I'm excited about getting started. I jusy hope my learning curve is not sharper than my patience. Thanks again

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 03:00PM

A nice long 2 piece shoreline catfish rod might appease the surf rod needs for awhile.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 03:14PM

Patience and practice is the key!! A surf rod will cost more to make than a bass rod, but not as much as you might think. Expensive goes into the realm of say a top quality 4 pc Spey rod blank and the components to go with it. A fiberglass surf rod can be built for a lot less than one of those.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 04:17PM

watch your local pawn shops, yard sales and craigslist. You can learn from rebuilding these types of rods also.

Posted by: Jon Scobey (---.lightspeed.mmphtn.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 04:27PM

Joel, I'm just east of you in Memphis. I just started myself. We both know there aren't a lot of custom builders around here. For your wrapper, unless you want to go electric, I would urge you to look at the Pac Bay new manual. Cost about $100 plus shipping. I would get a cheaper blank to start out. I bought my initial stuff from a couple of the sponsors here, Get Bit and Donnart. Both very helpful.

Posted by: howard hodges (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 05:06PM

Joel, I'm just north of you, 3 miles off exit 6 on I-65 in Franklin, Ky. I've been building for about 2 years now and still learning everyday. I started out like you building for family and friends and still going strong. If your up this way give me a call and stop by. Always glad to help another rod builder. You can get over whelmed real easy when you first get started but there are a lot of us to help you through. There are some really great and knowledgeable people on this forum. Mr. Brunt is giving you some good advise.

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 12:46AM

Joel, I'm on the other ocean but fish from the beach. I you have any quesions email me, I've been building for a while.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 08:10AM

Never "think" cheap, think blanks and components at lower cost, only free is cheap. Besides, the same amount of effort will go into the build regardless of the cost of the components. Your first foray into rod building will seem "expensive" because you have never laid out any money before. Follow Russell's philosophy and you will have an expensive rod from relatively inexpensive components.

Posted by: Jim Fielding (74.123.19.---)
Date: January 12, 2014 09:29AM

Joel,

Good advice above. I am located in mid TN area. Drop me an email.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 12, 2014 01:56PM

I'll echo Ray's comments. You don't want to buy "cheap" blanks. Focus on value and try to buy a previously top rated blank for around 50-60% off. This is typically what they will sell for when the "new and improved" model comes out.

A great way to start is by rebuilding your favorite rod.....something you know very well....something you will instantly be able to see/feel an improvment in. It is an eye opener for a beginner to know they can make a noticable improvment on a quality factory rod through guide choices/layout and static testing. It is easier than you think and will give you the confidense to move forward.

And BTW, if you "think" you are going to save money by building your own rods.....well think again!!!!! You will end up with better equipment but you will upsell yourself way beyond the point of saving money. Once you know the difference it will be hard to go back to what used to be pleasing.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: January 13, 2014 07:54PM

Joel,
I'm in Smithville, TN (Center Hill Lake) so if you need some help, feel free to email me.
Cheers

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: January 14, 2014 09:23AM

Joel if you are going to jump in with both feet I strongly suggest you take the 2 day class offered by Mud Hole. Go to www.mudhole.com and check out their 2014 schedule. Not only will you get to build an entire rod and practice all of the basic skills but day 2 is a LOT of demonstrations of advance techniques. You can also ask all your rod building questions face to face to the guys who do this for a living regardless if its an ultralight spin rod or a surf rod. Buzz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster