I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide layout for a short jigging rod
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 03:26PM

I have seen some short jigging rods ( 5 ft - 5.5 ft length ) with the stripper guide only about 10-12 inches from the reel face. The reel used is a Shimano 40N with a very narrow spool width. I have been told that
this allows the line to lay onto the reel with little guidance by the angler. These rods will not be casted and is designed only to facilitate the jigging action with no line guidance by the angler. Has anyone built such
a rod and how close was the stripper guide placed? These rods are designed for 50-80 lb line test and can be either fast or parabolic action. The one that I saw was spiral wrapped so it tweeked my interest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide layout for a short jigging rod
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 07:26PM

The two jigging rods i've built have had the guide lay-out done by static deflection testing. all seemed to work well with no complaints

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 07:31PM

Yes, I would certainly use static deflection for the rest of the guides but my question was about the stripper guide being placed within 10-12 inches from the reel. Would this aid in line lay onto the reel as you work the rod up and down in the jigging motion and do not want to guide the line onto the reel. No concern for castability as jiggers just drop the jig into the water.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 08:03PM

Mel,
Even on a short rod, I really see no reason to have the stripper guide any closer than 20 inches to the face of the reel.

Be safe

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 08:15PM

Casting or spinning set up? For spinning don't need that close. My 5.5' and 6 foot jigging rods with spinnign set up have the stripper at about 18" from face of the reel. These are vertical jigging rods where I am not casting but dropping down 130-300 gram jigs and ripping back up. For casting set up, most will put it close to keep line off fingers as these rods usually have a deeper flex. In a casting set up, spiral wrap is tough to beat.

Posted by: Jon Scobey (---.lightspeed.mmphtn.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 09, 2014 10:10PM

I have a Batson knife jig stick that's only 4'10". I started out with the stripper guide around 20" from the reel, but under pressure, the line was hitting the blank. I forget where it ended up, but I'm guessing around 15-16".

Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: January 10, 2014 01:48AM

Mr Shimizu

many japanese style vertical jigging rod has parabolic action, that will allow the blank to flex in to butt section
the reason behind stripper guide very close to the reel is to avoid line(braid) to make a contact with foregrip handle when the rod in full flex during the fight
as you can see, they are not just close but has high frame too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 10:26AM by ernest sebastian.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lns9.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 10, 2014 01:58AM

As Earnest said above. I prefer the LCSG style for a stripper to halp avoid line rub on the foregrip. Also, it helps get the spiral done early on the blank where it is stronger etc.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 05:48AM

You need it close and high frame to keep the line off the for grip and your hand. You don't want 80 lb braid with a tuna on the end peeling line at 20 lbs of drag rubbing on your hand..

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2014 09:43AM

Thank you. Now that makes sense. And yes, I have seen very tall stripper guides being used.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2014 10:55PM

Fred, in your example the line will most certainly not be rubbing on your hand.

It'll be rubbing the foregrip...THROUGH your hand!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster