I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help with guide selection and placement
Posted by: Brian Stancavage (162.72.179.---)
Date: January 07, 2014 06:59PM

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to rod building and very new to this forum. I have built one 9 foot spinning rod and am now building a 13 foot float rod. The blank I'm using is a cts 4-8 power 2 pc. I would appreciate some help selecting the proper guides. I am familiar with the REC recoils as I have them on my GLX's. I'm ok with them, however I know some guys use the fugi guides as well as others on the same build. I heard the term hybrid used to describe this type of selection. The other problem I have is not really knowing the difference between an 8 and a 6 and a 4. I know they are different sizes but I don't have the experience to know if a 4 is better than a 6 for running guides etc. so what I need is someone who is knowledgable with cold weather float rods that is willing to help me make some good choices. I also want to make the rod as light as possible but I don't think I want to buy all fugi titanniums. I could use some help with spacing as we'll. I know that the static deflection test needs to be done but I think placement of that first stripper guide as well as the first one back from the tip needs to be done a little differently. Also, I will be using a centerpin on this rod. I do have a set of recoils but I think I'm one maybe two short. I also don't want to use the 25 as my first stripper guide to big. The 5 small ones that I have I'm not sure what they are. They seem to be the same diameter as the smallest on my GLX but they don't look like they will be as far from the rod as those on my GLX. I believe I have seen the letter L used in the mudhole catalog along with the #6's. Does that L indicate distance from the blank? Hope to hear from someone.

Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help with guide selection and placement
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2014 08:04AM

Going to the gym now - back later. But someone else may come in to help.
Herb
Distrib
CTS Fly Rod Blanks

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2014 09:23AM

Brian,

Take a hard look at the Pac Bay Minima guides. For a cold weather rod, look at the 6mm fly guides for your runners if you are regularly fishing in sub-freezing temps. The steel insert is thinner and lighter than ceramic rings, and will help keep your weight in check. They are also available in Ti frames, and those may be worth a look if you want as light as possible. If you rarely fish in air temps below about 25F, the 4mm runners may work well for you.

For the butt guide and reduction , look at the Pac Bay M frame minima. A 20mm M frame gives similar height to a 25mm Y frame (similar to Fuji's concept guides). You'll be able to get the height you need without excess weight.

In regard to the L designation on Fuji guides, it does deal with the distance from the blank, and as you saw, the guide sits closer to the blank.

One thing I will add, I prefer to use a ceramic tip with Minima guides. Many people use the minima tip tops without issue, but in the past, I've had tip tops with a similar design on factory rods groove. No issue with the other guides, only the tip top.

As far as spacing, I tend to use the New Guide Concept 27x method to place the choke and reduction guides, and use a static test to place the running guides.

Joe

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 08, 2014 11:13AM

Brian,
I have built centerpin rods on CTS, rainshadow, gloomis, st croix using different guides. Now i am waiting for minima titanium, so cannot comment on those as of yet. They will go on 11.6 rainshadow xst.
I live in Ontario and we fish a lot in subzero temps, dealing with icing lines and guides. Size 6 is usually not enough for cold temps if you use ceramics. I built my own cts with flexlites tich. Use 16 mm stripper and went down to 7 runners. Used guide instead of tiptop. I have minimal ice up issues with guides. Seems like darker colour helps as well in suuny day.
I also have another cts with sic fuji guides. The set weights about the same. I have not noticed any difference in performance in cold weather. The only significant difference is a cost.
If you are planning to fish in cold weather its better to use high frame guides for runners. You dont need to use 25 stripper, 16 or 20 is enough. Just make sure its high frame guides.
I used different spacings for centerpin rods, including 12 guides for 13.6 3 pcs cts and 11 for 2 pcs 13 foot- same as glx factory. Both are my rods and i had no issues. I used batson recomended spacing for my friends 13 ft rainshadow and discussed the isuue i had with thst rod. One of the guides was placed just below female ferrule and was worried that it may cause the blank to break. My body landed dosens of steelheads on that rod and is happy. Nothing happened to the rod. I used alps high frames for his rods with zirconium with 8 mm runners.
You can try batson spacings for your rod and the guides you have. If you want i can email you spacing for 11 and 12 guides for you rod. You can go with smaller id if you dont plan to fish in subzero temps.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2014 12:17PM

Brian,
For that rod, I would use a size 25 minima match guide as the first guide and then go down to size 16, then 10, then size 6 f minima guides for the runners. If you are concerned with ice, then only go down to size 7 or size 8.

For ice rods used out doors, I never go below size 8 and often stop at size 10.

I like to use the size 25 match guides for the first guide to minimize the angle between the reel and the line as it flows off the reel.

Be safe

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 08, 2014 12:46PM

use higher guides less line slap on rod , better casting , if you will be fishing in cold weather [ FREEZ UP ] go larger guides an a guide on the top [ large hole ] not a tip top
you will de ice them less my feeling on your question, the comment about the dark guides has some mar- it , recoil has a BLACK guide now ,
will try on my next center pin rod [ use 8's if not 10's for running guide an top ] recoil is the best bet for C P rods in cold weather I think ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Brian Stancavage (162.72.179.---)
Date: January 10, 2014 05:29PM

Thanks everyone for the info. I have a few decisions to make as to what guides I will use. One of the questions I still have is how far the first butt guide will extend off the blank. That will be the 20 or 16 depending on which one I start with. I'm concerned about this because of being able to put my rod in my Clear Creek travel case. If that first guide sticks out to far it might create a problem for transporting. Does anybody have any info about this distance or know where I could get it. I know I'm asking a tough question because of the different guide manufactures. I'm thinking fugi, Amtack, Alps. Pacbay. Any help would be great. Thanks

Brian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster