I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

st croix scv blanks information please
Posted by: robert kravic (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 14, 2013 11:03AM

never built a st croix but i am interested in the top of the line scv with scvi graphite on the bottom. i have a few questions -when did the scvi come out, are the older brown or green blanks much different than the newer ones, are the newer blanks heavier after they started using the 3 m resin, when did the integrated poly curve come out, when did advanced reinforcing and taper enhancement technology arrive and finally whats with all the different colors?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: st croix scv blanks information please
Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2013 02:16PM

I'll give this a shot. Don't take these dates for gospel as I'm going from memory. I think the SCVI started going in the rods in late 2010. The old matte green, then gloss brown blanks are a touch heavier than the new ones. The 3M resin was only used for a couple years (2011-2012 I believe). IPC and ART came to be in 2006. 2013 saw the introduction of TET and FRS replaced the 3M NSi. As for the colors, each series is designated by it's own discinct color.

Date: December 15, 2013 10:05AM

was this the color progression for the scv blanks- matte green- gloss brown -blue green flip- forest green. the reason i ask is to know if i have an scvi blank and how to tell.

Date: December 15, 2013 11:42PM

matte green
gloss brown
forest green & blue green flip (offered concurrently)

Posted by: James Smith (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2013 06:28PM

Hi,

I am a fan of the St Croix blanks, cant say why they are better than others but I really like the rods I have, and know what to expect from them. To me, you get something and lose something too, staying within products lines over time.

My recollection is a little different. I have two St Croix rods using the SCiV blanks, one is a factory build, one is built off a blank by me. Those are matt green. I think they go back to about 2002?? I know it was a long time ago when I bought those products. They called them Legend Ultras. I have two of the first SCV blanks as 8 and 9 wts. Those are gloss brown. They later split the SCV's in the forest green and green/blue flip to differentiate a fresh water purposed rod/blank from saltwater purposed, respectively. The blanks made as SCIV material are significantly different from the SCV's. The SCV's are lighter and a bit faster overall. Does anyone know the technical difference? I wonder if the SCIV's use glass scrim.

As to the 3M nanosilca product, is it try St Croix uses the same technology now, just not using 3M's proprietary version? it would be interesting to me to know, as I want to buy a new SCV blank.

hope this is helpful,

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.sub-70-199-8.myvzw.com)
Date: December 20, 2013 09:03AM

The colors I posted were for SCV spin/cast blanks. The fly blanks have their own color scheme that I am not familiar with.

Date: December 20, 2013 11:53AM

why did they stop using the nsi 3m resin. are those blanks different than the newer offerings as i've heard they were heavier. is this true?

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.sub-70-199-10.myvzw.com)
Date: December 20, 2013 01:21PM

3M sold exclusive rights to Jarden Corporation (Pure Fishing).

Date: December 20, 2013 06:45PM

so there were no problems with the 3m resin'ed blanks as you know. i think the sciv blanks do not have the carbon scrim. do you think the medium light scv spinning blanks are dropshot worthy as i like a lighter tip.

Date: December 20, 2013 10:20PM

There were no problems with the 3M resin blanks. The MLXF model is, IMO, the perfect DS rod. In fact, one of my personal dropshot rods is on the 3M 5S69MLXF model. I also have one of the FRS SCV's in 5s610mlxf waiting for me to find the time to assemble. I'm a dropshot rod junkie. Usually have 3 or 4 on the deck!

The SCV blanks have carbon scrim. The SCIV blanks have glass scrim. That is the biggest difference between the two series.

Date: December 21, 2013 12:53PM

thanks scott- are their any discernible differences between the 3m and frs blanks that you can feel? these ds blanks you mentioned are extra fast and are they rated 4/10 lb or 6/12 lb test. one last question whats the difference with the 5s70mlf-B and 5s70mlf-G and would said blanks work for dropshotting.

Date: December 21, 2013 04:43PM

I haven't noticed any difference just handling the new blank. The XF models I mentioned are rated 6-10. The only difference in the 2 models you listed is the color....they are the same blank. I like the XF for dropshotting as I feel they have a lighter tip than the fast ones. I'm sure the fast ones would work for you. If its the shorter length that is steering you from the XF, just extend it when you build. I plan on building my 6'10" as 7'2".

Date: December 21, 2013 07:52PM

i appreciate you taking the time to deal with a st croix "virgin" one last question -where are you drop shotting at ?

Date: December 21, 2013 09:57PM

Lake Erie.

Date: December 22, 2013 10:24AM

i figured with that many ds rods on your deck.

Date: December 23, 2013 05:50PM

scott if you find anywhere to get crosstail shads in bulk please let me know

Date: December 23, 2013 10:22PM

I have a friend that made a mold and pours them! They are more durable and he makes custom colors. If interested, shoot me an email.

Date: December 26, 2013 05:39PM

if you could pick just one st croix best all around spinning blank which would it be?

Date: December 27, 2013 10:12AM

All around would be the 5S610mxf. My favorite is the 5s69mlxf. I use it more than any other. The 610m is a little too powerful for dropshotting IMO, but it works great for a wide variety of techniques.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster