I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Syringes
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: December 12, 2013 09:13PM

Hi All,

Quick question. What do you use to clean your syringes with after using them?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Syringes
Posted by: Greg LaPolla (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: December 12, 2013 09:36PM

I dont clean mine. I just put the caps back on them. If they have print on them any chemicals will quickly remove it.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 12, 2013 10:03PM

They do not need cleaning, wipe off the tips, cap them and you are set to go, just do ever mix them up!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 12, 2013 10:20PM

Drill holes in the tops of your bottles (5/32") and stick them into the hole. When it is time to use product, invert the bottle and pull the needed amount ... like nurses do for injections. After "shooting" the product into your mixing cup, stick the syringe back into the hole ... done. No muss, no fuss, perfect measurement every time.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 12, 2013 10:44PM

I do the same as Jim. Quick and easy. Just make sure the syringes don't have any bubbles which can upset the measurement and repeat DON'T mix them up. After dispensing put it back in the bottle before you touch the other one.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2013 11:10PM

Same as Jim & Col. Mine are stored in the caps right on the bottles. I never clean them.

Date: December 13, 2013 12:44AM

That's why this forum is awesome!

Thanks for the tips!

Chris

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 13, 2013 07:37AM

Same as Jim, Col and Jay here...... I used to clean them and the markings would wear off. Saw this same tip on here years ago and have been doing it ever since.

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2013 08:18AM

same as Jim

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2013 08:24AM

Mark each with an A and B and mark the bottles also so they don't get mixed up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 13, 2013 09:13AM

Black magic marker on the plunger's thumb pad helps me when I lay syringes down and forget . . .

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2013 09:24AM

I use rather large bottles of mix and I don't like to leave the syringes in the bottles.
Rather - I store the syringes in vertical upright test tubes that have been taped to a piece of pvc pipe for stability. In order to reach to the bottom of the tall containers, I put a piece of appropriate sized rod blank on the end of the syringe to allow the syringe to get to the bottom of the bottle.

When emptying the syringe, I make sure that the material has all been evacuated from the syringe and the rod blank and then store the syringes in the test tubes. The test tubes have a piece of larger rod blank in them to allow the syringes to be suspended in the tubes and not touch the bottom. This way, any excess material drips out of the tube and is not left in the syringe, or in the rod blank to clog up the syringe.

I clean the syringes about every 6 months, just to get them back to a cleaner condition.

I mare the syringes, test tubes and containers with A and B, and then wrap each of the objects in clear packaging tape to keep the markings intact.

Every couple of years, I replace the syringes just to get a fresh start.

I buy the syringes from the local fleet farm supply house in the Vet supplies. I also buy large syringes that I use for epoxy glue. I cut the tips off of the large syringes and drill a hole of a size that nicely allows the glue to flow in and out of the syringe. The syringes are much easier to use for glue than a spoon or other device to move the epoxy glue. I use the same storage system for the large syringes for glue as I do for the smaller finish syringes. I buy the epoxy glue in large jars with screw on tops, so the syringes work well to move the glue.

Be safe

Posted by: Frank MacDonald (70.52.166.---)
Date: December 13, 2013 11:41AM

This is not on topic, but Roger, just to let you know I always enjoy reading your replies to the questions asked on this board.

Date: December 13, 2013 02:37PM

You are welcome Frank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2013 02:54PM

I guess Roger knows how to type LOL I still use two fingers Doooooo

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 13, 2013 03:36PM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Drill holes in the tops of your bottles (5/32")
> and stick them into the hole. When it is time to
> use product, invert the bottle and pull the needed
> amount ... like nurses do for injections. After
> "shooting" the product into your mixing cup, stick
> the syringe back into the hole ... done. No muss,
> no fuss, perfect measurement every time.

Exactly. I have some that are going on 7 or 8 years. I also buy "rather large bottles" of finish, but I simply pour it into more user friendly small bottles and leave them on the bench with the syringes sticking out. It's easier to warm the little bottle of resin in my microwave.

Date: December 13, 2013 07:39PM

Hi Chuck,

Speaking of microwaves I called Mudhole today because the Flexcoat finish I bought turned white "cloud" like in the bottle. Apparently its to cold in my basement and it crystalized in the bottle. He said run it under hot water. does the microwave work also?

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2013 09:02PM

Those red plastic Folger's coffee containers make a great stand for your syringes. I have a punch set that I use to put holes in the lids of two sizes of syringes that I use. Depending on the amount of epoxy mix I need, I eather use a small syringe or a larger set. I mark the syringes , A & B with a P-touch label maker and drop them in the holes of the lid. They hang supprted by the lid and allow any resedue to fall to the bottom of the container , if any, without any mess on your bench or work area. Remember to pull back the plungers before storing. Being that its not a fixed rack or stand, you can move it close to where your working or completely out of you way. The best part is you get a pound of coffee with each one!
Oh, I forgot to say that you don't have to clean your syringes, unless you use only one.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2013 09:35PM by Dennis Danku.

Date: December 13, 2013 10:02PM

Chris,
The microwave will work well to warm the resin - as long as there is NO metal in the bottle.
When you put it into the microwave, just set the oven for a few seconds. It doesn't take much.

Be safe

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 18, 2013 11:23AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chris,
> The microwave will work well to warm the resin -
> as long as there is NO metal in the bottle.
> When you put it into the microwave, just set the
> oven for a few seconds. It doesn't take much.
>
> Be safe

Good call Roger. I once had a small sample given to me that had foil lined caps. That would have been exciting!

I usually go 10 second for the resin.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster