I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy and Finish
Posted by: Ernest Cameron (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: December 12, 2013 07:06PM

I am extremely grateful for all the help and responses I get from this forum....Here's my question, and it seems so basic, but What is the difference between Epoxy and Finish? Also do I need to apply finish to my rod after the epoxy? What is finish? can finish be used insted of epoxy? Also does the 2 part epoxy ever go bad? Is it supposed to be warm-hot while holding it in your hand when your applying it to your guides? Again thanks for the help, Im a newbie to the rod building game, thanks

Ernest Cameron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy and Finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2013 07:08PM

"Finish" is generally what folks refer to when talking about coating the guide wraps. There are several products that work for this, including epoxy. Epoxy doesn't go bad, but it will tend to turn a bit amber or yellow over time, either in the bottle or on the rod.

Your rod blank does not need to be coated with anything.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2013 08:33PM

Ernest ,
In addition to the words that Mr. Kirkman used are the following:

Epoxy glue may be obtained in many forms.
i.e. 5 minute, 15 minute, 30 minute, 60 minute or slower drying glue.
These are all various forms of adhesive that are used for assembly. The time indicates the normal working time of the glue. But I have found that generally, the working time is about 1/2 of the listed number. i.e. mix and then use the glue.
So, 5 minute gives you about 3 minutes of working time, 30 minute gives you about 15 minutes of working time and 60 minute gives you about 30 minutes of working time.

Normally, as the epoxy glue dries - it "kicks" or goes through a chemical action that causes the glue to heat. So, if you are feeling the glue getting hot, you need to hurry, because you have very little time left before the glue sets and gets hard.

Rod building finish is another form of epoxy, but is much thinner than the glue used as an adhesive and tends to have a much much longer working time and gluing time.
i.e. the glue stays soft and runny for a considerable length of time. The advantage of this property is that the finish can be applied to a rotating rod, and as the rod rotates, the finish will flow and continue to flow out and be even as the rod rotates over time.

Generally the working time or flowing time of the glue is 15-60 minutes depending on the particular rod finish. But to avoid issues, the rod needs to continue to turn for several hours to both continue to cure, and also to get hard.

Be safe

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 12, 2013 08:58PM

Ernest, "Finish" in broa terms can be, a multitude of coatings, like paint, varnish, urethane and some epoxies. "Epoxies in rod building are in two basic forms, 1.) adhesives: this type comes in both fluid and paste, and is used primarily to glue components to the blank. 2.) coatings: this type is fluid and used to coat guide and decorative wraps. The two basic forms of epoxy are not interchangeable, one is for gluing and the other for coating and they have a number of different properties.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster