I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another finish problem
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 01:10PM

Not sure what happened but this is the scenario. I was building 4 rods at a time and started with finish on all of them. But I ran out of the that finish on the last two rods that already had a coat of finish on it and had dried after 12 hours on the dryer. I then put Threadmaster lite as the final coat on top of the dried other finish. The finish looked ok when I applied it but soon after it started to develop small pimples on the surface and would not cure. It remained sticky and gooey and would not cure. Was this a reaction from using the two epoxies? Are they not compatible to a degree that they interact with one another? Unfortunately, I had to strip the two rods and start rewrapping again. I will never do that again! LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 01:42PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another finish problem
Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.sub-70-199-9.myvzw.com)
Date: December 02, 2013 01:46PM

Sounds to me like improper ratios or not mixed well enough.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: December 02, 2013 01:48PM

I noted the name of the product you used before it got edited. To the best of my knowledge that is a repackaged product and it could have been contaminated when the seller poured it from one bottle to the other. No way to tell.But I can't really see two rod finish epoxies reacting with one another. I've put different epoxies over each other and never run into what you state above. I would look at something else as the cause of the problem.

Date: December 02, 2013 02:14PM

I use the syringes for measuring the epoxies and I continued to use the Threadmaster on the rods after re-wrapping and it is curing properly. The the other finish was used on a number of rods until I ran out and it cured properly as well. All that I can come up with is that they have a compatibility issue between the two. Perhaps had the epoxy completely cured... ie longer period, this would not have happened? Anyways, I will never do this again unless the epoxy is completely cured. I mix for three minutes and I did change to new syringes when I changed epoxy. If I missed the ratio a bit, then it would be just a problem of tackiness which can be fixed with an additional coat. But this was a sticky mess with blotching and surface pimples that could not be fixed with an additional coat. So, I chose to re-wrap and not mess further with it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 02:40PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 02:41PM

I think Scott is correct on this I have done some nasty things but when that happened to me It was a improper mix

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 02, 2013 04:07PM

I must admit that working on 4 rods at a time, things do get mixed up a bit. Seems that every one says that different brands of epoxies would not react adversely against one another. In my haste, I may have had some air bubbles in one of the syringes that may have caused a bad mix but when this has happened in the past, I was able to re-coat and fix the problem. But, why did I have this blotching and surface pimples this time? Can this be caused by improper mixing and to what degree? Thanks all for your answers.

Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2013 11:10AM

Do the pimples look like craters or bubbles? Is it possible you mixed two syringes of the same component (resin or hardener)? Can you post a photo?

Date: December 03, 2013 03:55PM

It was more like craters. The rods have since been re-wrapped so no pictures. I don't want unpleasant reminders... lol
I am very confident that my methods preclude mixing two syringes of the same component.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2013 02:23PM

Mel,
I know that you have already stripped, cleaned, rewrapped and refinished your rod.

But, to me, craters sound like some sort of contamination, like a silicone or something similar. Maybe a touch of oil from something or some where, a bit of silicone from some thread or similar or??

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster