I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blank manfacturer
Posted by: Roger Hoops (---.atw.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 27, 2013 02:15PM

Hello, new to the forum and considering switching hobbies (RC Cars) to something more productive with my time (Rod building). I have searched the forum and have seen this question a lot with many answers but some of the threads were rather old and I thought maybe some things might have changed. I only have experience with factory rods and that is limited to the following: Powell Max, Dobyns (champion and champion extreme), Cumara (IM10 version), Cashion, St. Croix mojo.

I am only building for myself and would like to keep things simple by sticking with just 1 (maybe 2) blank manufacturers:
#1. Is that a good or bad idea?

There are so many choices and of all the rods I own when it comes to pure performance the mojo is the best price/performance ratio I own. I like the Dobyns Extreme and it is my primary Jig rod as it is the most "sensitive". If I were to replace all my rods with factory rods from a single manufacturer it would be Dobyns or Croix.

I have been looking at the Croix and NFC Blanks but you can't help but notice the MXH and Batson lines when it comes to price.
#2. How do the SC3/4/5, NFC SM/IM/HM, MHX/Batson compare to the upper end factory rods from Dobyns/Shimano? I've seen a good deal of buzz lately around Hydra blanks and several phenix fans.

Obviously I will be bass fishing, the first rod I plan to build would be a spinning rod for my daughter to "test the waters". After that I need to build a magnum crankbait rod probably using a swimbait blank for 2 oz crankbaits (10XD) and small swimbaits. If I'm still at it the next rod will be for jerkbaits and if I end having the skills to build decent rods then I will start spending the cash to replace my expensive factory rods with equally "sensitive" rods for my primary tactics (Jigging, carolina rigging, shaky head and drop shot). My point being if I stick with 1 manufacturer they need to have blanks to fill ALL of these needs.

#3 I have considered the possibility of using a cheaper blank for the moving non-feel baits and using high end SC/NFC blanks for touch baits. What is the concesus among ye masters of this trade?

I have a ton more questions about guide trains and quality there as well but I'll make another thread for that later. Thank you for your time!

JR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank manfacturer
Posted by: Jim Allen (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 27, 2013 02:32PM

I was told that the mxh are very durable blank for the price and am considering them because of my price range.I stick with that formula for me.
There is alot to choose from, and Im sure most are very good.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 27, 2013 02:58PM

most of all the blank makers have a real good line an then a lesser line so don't cross out any one maker, a lot depends where you are an how far you are from a supply er as every supply er has there favort
maker , & every maker has many types of blanks my 2CTS Bill
[ could be wrong ] but I am also GREEN at doing BLANKS but having fun

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2013 03:55PM

I use a lot of MHX blanks including for my personal builds and find them comparable to other quality blanks regardless of price. I think each company has certain exceptional blanks and it pays to mix and match. I love the Lamiglas glass blanks for cranking for example. St Croix has one of the most robust lines of over the counter rods and sell the blanks as well. If you want to go with all one, MHX or St Croix either one can cover pretty much any bass application.

Date: October 27, 2013 05:52PM

I was actually thinking about sticking with those two manufacturers specifically but I'm sure they are all good products. I have seen Batson reps respond to tons of threads with full build info which has me looking at their lines pretty hard too. Thank you for the replies.

Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 27, 2013 05:57PM

There are many good choices when it comes to blanks, but if I had to go with only one St. Croix would easily be my choice. Great quality, innovation, service, etc. In fact I can't think of anything but good to say about the company.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 27, 2013 06:34PM

My rods are a mix of Hydra, NFC and St Croix. They are all high-quality US products. Each of them have a few blanks that aren't found in the other's lineup. Currently, I have been moving more toward Hydra. Very strong and responsive, scrimless design and at a lower price point than NFC or St Croix. I recommend choosing blanks based on the specific task.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2013 07:35PM

No doubt St.Croix is the state of the art, however their rod blank prices are so high that a consumer could buy a factory rod for less than a home builder can buy the parts. My feeling is that St.Croix owes the home builder nothing and high blank prices are how they defend their factory rods.

As a new builder I was surprised that IM/RX 7 seemed to be the gold standard, and many rods were still built on IM6 blanks...At the same time I was seeing folks like Shimano advertising IM10 blanks on $150.00 rods...Yet I couldn't buy anything rated above IM8 and these blanks were close to the same price as those finished IM10 rods...How come??? There seems to be very little doubt there must be a lot of smoke and mirrors going on with those factory IM ratings. Finally, after some thought it appears to me that most of us don't need IM10 or IM11 rods...These blanks, if they are real, might be like fishing with icicles, too fragile and stiff for most real world techniques.

If you are shopping for a blank, look at lots of companies, especially the private labels of some of our sponsors, compare the weight of the blank, the line weight/lure weight stats, and consider the suggested technique profile. This should give you enough information to decide if that blank will work for you.

In my opinion, other than a handful of US manufacturers, everyone else's blanks are coming out of Korea or someplace close by. This might mean that, a person buying a "Brand Name," might be paying more for the label that for the blank.

As a home builder, if you use all the right stuff, why would you care who's name was on the bag?

Posted by: Roger Hoops (---.dsl1.clbg.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 28, 2013 11:21AM

I am not concerned with anyone's name on the blank, I am concerned with performance. I know the level of performance I can buy and also the lack of performance I can buy, overpaid or not. I would like to buy US-made products but at the same time for the number of rods I may end up building I think alternatives will be needed. I guess the age old question is do you get what you pay for apply here as well or is there a lot "brand" tax in this game

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2013 12:38PM

Roger,

I can relate to your inquiry. I have built on St. Croix, (expensive, but excellent performing blanks), NFC, (real expensive, but excellent as you'd expect from Mr. Loomis), Rainshadow and Mudhole's High Modulus blanks. IMHO you can not beat the Batson / Rainshadow or Mudhole's High Modulus Blanks for performance and price. I personal bass fish and have all of the blanks you mentioned; but I find I either have a Rainshadow or HM-MHX rod in my hand. On a related point, Batson's Rainshadow RX8 822.5 Drop Shot blank is an outstanding D/S blank. I have built D/S Rods for myself and my clients on St. Croix, NFC, and the Rainshadow RX8 and RX8+ blanks and they all rave about the Rainshadow D/S Rods.

I personally use my Mudhole HM-MHX 843 rod for everything from worming, jigging, throwing Senkos you name it. An excellent rod blank for the price....IMHO! If I was going to stay with one brand of blank it would be Batson / Rainshadow or Mudhole's rod blanks, as both companies have been excellent with speed of delivery, and warranty service. The only rod blanks I ever had to replaced were broken as a result of being stepped on by the client and not broken as a result of fishing.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2013 12:43PM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 28, 2013 03:16PM

( some ) high end blanks that may go for 3 - 400.00 be careful of When you try to clean with a simple Drugstore alcohol the finish comes off I never understood this

What ever you choose to use -- come here to ask before you buy Don't go buy price
Mudhole and Batson are quality better bang for your buck

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Roger Hoops (---.dsl1.clbg.wv.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 28, 2013 03:41PM

really the HM-MHX, MHX and Rainshadow blanks aren't THAT much cheaper than say an SC3 from St. Croix. I guess I'm just going to have to buy and build them all! :)

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 28, 2013 05:57PM

Roger, I think that each of the names mentioned have a special blank or two that beats anything the other names can offer. The Batson RX8+ 822.5 was mentioned. It is a prime example of a rod that likely can't be beat.

Then I think you need to consider if a given company tends to specialize in your chosen area. For example, I have long considered Lamiglas the go to name for surf rods. If I was more of a bass guy I'd call Alex at Hydra.

I love St. Croix. All my experience is with their salt water/inshore blanks. To me, they are all the same in action/feel.....just different levels of power....and all what I'd call a spin/jig....with a little stiffer tip than others. This may not be true of the freshwater offerings though. So for me, they won't cover all my needs.

If you are going to move forward in this hobby I think it is best to get a feel for the different brands. I'd be picking brands more according to the type of rod. For example, many of the bass guys tossing A-rigs are loving a rod made by a west coast company best known for tuna rods. Go figure, huh?

And don't overlook using blanks marketed for very different purposes. This south florida guy is loving steelhead rods.

P.S. Black Friday is coming up and that is the PRIME time to buy......easily 40+% off normal prices. Best to make your blank list now. I'd suggest buying several....at least half a dozen and twice that is better. As you gain more experience your rods will probably "look better" but they aren't going to fish much better. So get what you want now (during the sales coming up) and worry about your ability "to build a decent rod" later.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: October 28, 2013 06:43PM

Thank you to everyone for all of the excellent advice. I have to get my shopping list together and place an order, man starting up is always the most difficult part.

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 28, 2013 08:55PM

Saw the Hydra name mentioned here a couple times. Thank you.

We're not big, but our NG blanks are made in the US, they are reasonably priced, and they do offer unique technology with scrimless fiber. I really don't see why in a higher priced blank, when you need sensitivity, why you would ever want fiberglass scrim, or scrim period, in the rod when it can be done without. So that is the unique technology you get with us.

So there is the shameless pitch.

We also offer the nice sideline that I will be more than happy to help you get the correct blank for bass and inshore. It's not always the one the spreadsheet, quick reference guide says either.

I don't get to tournament fish much anymore due to working, but the blanks are on the water every weekend, grinding out 5 for a check.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 28, 2013 09:16PM

A higher modulus material does not make the rod stiffer - it makes it stiffer for the same weight, or lighter for the same stiffness.

Now for my own shameless plug - the single place where you can get the most performance for the lowest price is at the ICRBE in February. Plus, you can look at and feel from among tens of thousands of rod blanks, all under one roof.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 28, 2013 09:45PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The single place
> where you can get the most performance for the
> lowest price is at the ICRBE in February. Plus,
> you can look at and feel from among tens of
> thousands of rod blanks, all under one roof.

Yep ... want to see, touch and try it all - ICRBE is the place. After all, Candy Land isn't going to come to you kids. :-)

Date: October 28, 2013 11:11PM

I have already looked up the venue and it is certainly within driving distance!

Posted by: Will Dea (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2013 12:28AM

Batson gets my vote.

One stop shopping from the blank to handles to guides etc.

Folks are great on the phone and are always willing to help, even when there is an odd question involved ;)

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: October 29, 2013 07:20AM

Roger, not to open up too big a can of worms but the following might be worth the read.

[rodbuilding.org]

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster