I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod - Reel Seat, Epoxy and Arbors
Posted by: Dave Shepherd (---.com.inbound15.mxlogic.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 11:07AM

With the reel seat and blank combination I am ordering, there will be a gap between the reel seat and the blank. I plan to use two masking tape arbors to level the reel seat and have a relatively snug fit.
From what I have read on other entries on this forum, one should only apply Epoxy on the arbors themselves and not between the gaps.
Is that correct?

Would this product suffuce for the job in hand - Flexcoat Rodbuilders Epoxy Glue - or should I look to get paste instead?
Should I use more than two arbors - two on the outer portions of the reel seat and one in the middle?

Thanks and regards
Dave
South Africa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod - Reel Seat, Epoxy and Arbors
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2013 11:19AM

Putting a gob of epoxy in the space between the arbors only adds weight, not adhesive strength. But do coat the sides of the arbors in order to help protect from water intrusion into the tape.

Posted by: Dave Shepherd (---.com.inbound15.mxlogicmx.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 11:25AM

Thanks Tom - sound advice. And the Epoxy mentioned - is that suitable for the job ?

Date: October 23, 2013 12:45PM

Yes, it's more than adequate.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 02:15PM

Dave,
There is always a gap between seat and blank. Best not to use tape - but a rigid foam arbor. You are risking that the tape will degrade over time and the seat will become loose.
What seat are you using? The inside diameter??
herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 02:31PM

I have done tape arbors
But
if it takes 10 turns of 1/4" tape to make the arbor I go with a foam arbor
i do use several tape arbors Prep the blank and inside of the seat
And yes glue all of it it never had one come loose

It will be lighter with a foam arbor

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dave Shepherd (---.dsl.mweb.co.za)
Date: October 23, 2013 02:54PM

The blank is a MHX 9' 9wt 4 piece with a butt dia of .43. Looking to get a REC RSLL reel seat. I cant seem to find the I D on the net.
The only dia mentioned is.740 on the seat and i am assuming thats the outside diameter. Never considered any other arbor besides tape.
Thanks

Date: October 23, 2013 03:00PM

call them But get an arbor for it
If you don't use it stick it in your stash IMHO

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dave Shepherd (---.dsl.mweb.co.za)
Date: October 23, 2013 03:17PM

So you would epoxy the arbor to the blank first and later the reel seat to the arbor? This is my first build, hence all the questions and uncertainty.

Date: October 23, 2013 04:17PM

It's easier to ream the arbors to the blank and adhere them, and then put the seat over them.

The brick/foam type arbors are generally sized to fit the nylon graphite seats in sizes 16, 17, 18, 20, etc., mm. So you may have to turn/sand the outside to fit the ID of your seat. Or, bore/ream the seat to fit the arbors. I'd do which ever you find easier.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 05:02PM

Hello Dave,

I'm an amateur as well and used polyurethane foam arbors for the first time a few weeks ago. With the help of the gentlemen on this forum it turned out great and was not as difficult as I thought. (See my thread on reaming foam arbors a few pages back.) I used the arbors on a 5wt fly rod blank set up for light/ultralight spinning and could noticeably feel a difference in weight compared to using tape.

-chad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2013 05:03PM by Chad Barlongo.

Date: October 23, 2013 05:02PM

I prep the inside of the seat glue the arbor in it When dry ( carefully ) ream to fit the blank They do sand VERY fast So check often
Less adhesive and less weight
I also use Rod Bond very thine coat
And prep the area where the seat will lay

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2013 05:04PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 11:22PM

Dave,
I use the REC RSLL seat often. The Flex Coat #16X3 arbor fits perfectly. You may have to spiral wrap some Size D thread to make the fit snug.
Herb

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.rev.numericable.fr)
Date: October 24, 2013 04:54AM

I do it like Bill: glue the arbor into the seat, then ream to fit the blank.
very sound advice he gives: be careful because the arbors ream really fast.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 11:21AM

Foam arbors give you the lightest result but if for some reason you have trouble with them, you can use drywall mesh tape. It's superior to masking tape in that the mesh permits connection of the reel seat to the blank. There is more epoxy used so if weight is critical for you, best to use the arbors if you can.

Terry

Posted by: Josh Coburn (---.byu.edu)
Date: October 25, 2013 02:30PM

I've used the foam arbors too since my first fly rod builds. I found them pretty straight forward except I ruined my very first one cause I didn't realize how rigid they are. Did have it reamed quite enough and tried to force it the rest of the way. :) Ended up cracking the arbor. Luckily I'd bought a 3 pack.

Josh

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster