I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rotating rod with color preserve
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 04:18PM

If you apply the cp generously,soak the threads and remove all visible remnants of the cp from the threads ,is it necessary to rotate the rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rotating rod with color preserve
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 23, 2013 04:25PM

If there isn't anything on the surface to run or sag, then you shouldn't have to. Although it doesn't hurt to give the rod a spin every few minutes until you're sure the CP is starting to dry.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.186.---)
Date: October 23, 2013 04:50PM

Since I have had trouble with CP when too much was left on the threads I now put it on, wait a few minutes, then blot it to remove excess. Then rotating is not necessary. I use two coats done this way.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 04:56PM

i find it is better to rotate the rod while I apply CP IMHO
it stays even

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 06:43PM

I apply the CP, in a soaking coat from butt to tip, then go back to the starting point and with the same brush squeezed out, wick off any excess. I do rotate the rod for about an hour so that any liquid trapped in the tunnel of the guide foot does not run.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 08:03PM

I do exactly the same thing as Randy, except I do not coat guides with CP only the Dec Wrap so I don't rotate the rod. If you feel you have to rotate the rod there's too much on there.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 08:24PM

Billy, do you only use NCP or equivalent thread on your guides?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 08:27PM

When doing guides that is the whole idea To put plenty on so it soaks into the space on the sides of the guide feet Then when it soaks into the thread i stop the turner and make sure I have filled the spaces buy putting it just on the spaces while the guides are facing left and right
Once the CP dries the finish Will Not penetrate into those spaces so ya got to fill them up with CP

Unless no builders are concerned with filling the space on the sides of the guide feet anymore

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 23, 2013 10:19PM

I hate using NCP. I use Nylon.HERe are some of the guide wraps I've took pics of, some are NCP, 95% are Nylon no CP [northeastrodbuilders.com]

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: October 24, 2013 01:18PM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I apply the CP, in a soaking coat from butt to
> tip, then go back to the starting point and with
> the same brush squeezed out, wick off any excess.
> I do rotate the rod for about an hour so that any
> liquid trapped in the tunnel of the guide foot
> does not run.

Same here, except I tend to do CP and Finish at the end of a work session. The CP rods go in the same dryer as rods with finish so they turn for the same time (though I'm sure 1 hour would be fine).

When I do small repairs, I'll usually use a hair dryer, on low, to dry the CP quickly so I can move on without much of a delay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster