I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Keeping metallic thread from unlaying??
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 19, 2013 01:50PM

Hi,
Anyone have an (almost) foolproof way to keep metallic thread from unlaying when turned onto a wrap. It seems that the first wrap unlays at the starting point. Do you tighten the twist before wrapping?
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Keeping metallic thread from unlaying??
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 19, 2013 03:11PM

One key, is to avoid drawing the thread trough tensioners that drag on the thread, such as the disk type.

Date: October 19, 2013 03:23PM

Phil,
Never use them. Only use magnetic type.
Herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 19, 2013 03:32PM

Or putting pressure on the spool

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (89.137.102.---)
Date: October 19, 2013 03:51PM

Same here..thighten the twist before start wrapping. Because this is happening only when you start the wrap(insert/accent thread)..its not a big deal, a few twists and good to go.

Its not about the tensioner at all, I use just a few inch long thread for insert wrap (no tension,no spool involved) and the same( lets say) problem...kind of...It is easy to solve( a few re-twist) ..so its not a real issue for me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2013 04:04PM by Mihalyfalvi Gabriel.

Date: October 19, 2013 03:59PM

Are you doing a complete wrap of a guide or just trim
Trim or even a butt wrap you can take a piece off the spool and hold in your ( clean ) hands or even a fly ting bobber

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2013 04:07PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mihalyfalvi Gabriel (89.137.102.---)
Date: October 19, 2013 04:14PM

Will happen anyway...at the point where you start to wrap the insert/accent wrap, after you over wrapped the starting tag end of the metallic..where the metallic coming out from under the main wrap and you start the insert wraps, the metallic( at least ProWrap) will unlay from the nylon core.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2013 04:21PM by Mihalyfalvi Gabriel.

Date: October 19, 2013 04:24PM

Check but I think Fishhawk was said to be better in there metallics

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: October 19, 2013 06:41PM

Hello Herb,

I'm just an amateur, but really like working working with metallics. I take it you are talking about the wrap itself becoming loose, at the very start where the main thread crosses over the tag end? If so, one trick I've found to keep it from loosening is:

1. Start wrap as you normally do, but keep the tag end next to main thread (no cross-over)

2. Gently pull tag end perpendicular to blank while turning blank counter-clockwise. This will let the looped thread slip around the blank while also tightening it a bit.

(My rod wrapper has the thread coming from the front and crossing over the blank as I turn the blank AWAY from me, I am also RIGHT handed so may need to reverse directions depending on your setup).

3. Keep the thread tight by curling it with your left hand fingers and put pressure on the blank with your left thumb to lock it in place.

4 With your right hand, lift the main thread up and cross it over the tag end. Again pull perpendicular on the tag end with your left hand to take out any slack.

This is the key part:

5. Hold blank abt a half inch away from wrap with thumb and middle finger of right hand. Use the tip of your right index finger and put pressure on the "X" where the threads cross over. Keep this finger locked.

6. Let go of the tag end in your left hand. Turn the blank to wrap while keeping tension on the crossover with your index finger. You may have to rock your finger slightly from tip to pad to keep the thread tight as the blank turns. Remove your finger after one full turn (tag end locked securely under main thread) and wrap as normal.

I've never had metallics unlay or untwist since starting my wraps this way. Of course there are other ways to keep thread tight when starting a wrap, but this has been working good for me. Good luck.

-chad

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2013 08:20PM

I used to have problems with Gudebrod Metallic thread. The metallic "skin" would sometime crack or peel open
revealing the inner support threads.
Then I changed to Sulky Metallics. No more problems.
I never apply pressure directly to the thread... just the spool.

Date: October 19, 2013 11:28PM

Hey guys thanks for replies.

MG - Thanks. I figured twisting would do it. Guess I have to keep track of which end I insert under main wrap so I know which way to twist.

Bill B.- Just a single or double trim wrap with only 6-8" in hand. I use a rubber tipped, (slightly) weighted spring-clamp to weigh it down.

M.G. - that is exactly where it is unlaying. Drives me crazy.

Bill. B - Tried Fish Hawk, Gudebrod, some others - best is Sulky.

Chad - No - the wrap is not loose. As a matter of fact I may be tensioning it too much. Not sure I can follow your description. Will have to study it.

David and others - When I wrap trim bands I make metallic wraps by "flipping" 6-8" of metallic over the blank and tensioning by pulling metallic tight under over-wraps of main thread. Then I wrap a few times over the metallic before I neaten it up. It looks fine except upon close inspection I can see a small amount of core.

Date: October 20, 2013 12:11AM

Hello Herb,

I mis-understood, thought you were talking about starting a guide wrap with metallics, thanks for clarifying.

So if I understand correctly, when doing an inlay your metallic thread itself is untwisting and showing nylon core? Tightening the thread via twisting may help. Perhaps also try adjusting tension on the main thread slightly lighter and gently rock the metallic back and forth as you pull it under the over-wraps?

I use mainly Fishhawk and Gudebrod, thread tension is set such that I can pull out some thread by pinching it with thumb and index finger.

-chad

Date: October 20, 2013 12:00PM

Chad,
Thanks.

My procedure for burying the metallic trim (MT) is that I tuck the very end of the MT under one (1) wrap of main wrap about 2-3mm before I want trim to show. After the 2-3mm of wrap over the MT I begin my trim wrap and that is where the core shows itself.
Just as you say. If I loosen the main wraps the MT will just pull out under slight pressure. I think what you are suggesting is to have a substantial (1" or so) of MT toward the beginning of the wrap that will have to be snipped at some point. I guess that will enable me to reduce main wrap pressure on MT.
Herb

Date: October 21, 2013 08:07AM

Chad,
Re-read your post and you gave me an idea to alter way I tie in the MT.
Leave a tag end that I can manipulate - as you say- perpendicular to blank - and proceed with wrap until trim wrap is complete. BUT I will leave a gap at the point where I introduce the MT so my scalpel will be able to fit and not damage the wrap. I will then close it by packing as usual.
Thanks Chad.
Herb

Date: October 21, 2013 03:36PM

Herb,

Good idea! Yes, I tuck the trim end of my metallic inlays the same as you posted- by razoring it close to the main wrap then gently pulling/rocking it 45 degrees up and down on an axis perpendicular to the blank. Sometimes it works, sometimes it pulls completely out and I have to start over.

Yesterday I looked very closely at some of my older rods and a few wraps showing very slight, maybe a few mm, "stretching" of the metallic braid to where I could see the white nylon core. This was only with the braided type of metallic thread. The older red/green labeled Gudebrod solid coated metallic I'm currently using doesn't seem to do this at all.

Anyway, I'll have to try your idea next time of leaving a gap in the main thread and then packing over the metallic. Hope it works out, thanks for sharing.

-Chad

Date: October 21, 2013 04:10PM

Herb

What I do is always start and end a wrap on the underside So as the rod is fished these things are under the rod

I start my main wrap Add the trim thread wrap Then do my 5 - 8 wraps over to keep it in place ( depends on tension ) When time for trim Hold the trim thread light tension And push it into the main wrap Then with the main wrap thread ( wrapping from left to right ) pushed to the right I wrap the trim Light pact Pull the main thread up though the trim so as not to show though the trim As you do them you will see Light pack to see how it looks Pack check Then finish wrap

I think what you see is the cover splitting and opening up when trying to tightening up the trim thread buy pulling on it then you see a light spot of the under thread

hope that made sense

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster