I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: snake guides vs single foot
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2013 05:49PM

That depends a lot on grip shape. For many folks, there is a sweet spot on a grip shape related to their hands and/or personal preference. So moving one's hand to change the balance, while effective, may put the hand in a place on the grip that some users may feel is uncomfortable or less effective.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 15, 2013 06:59PM

Talk about balancing rod and reel makes sense when referring to spin, spin cast, and conventional casting reels. The only thing that will change this balance point in use is casting a different weight lure, bait, or sinker. In fly casting the rod's "balance point" changes as the amount of fly line being aerialized changes: it changes continuously during every cast. I am mystified by the concept of the "balance point" of a fly rod while the rod is actually being used to cast?

Date: October 15, 2013 07:26PM

The main use of the rod isn't in casting, but in fishing. Once the line is on the water, it no longer has much if any effect on the rod's balance. At that point, a rod that is overly tip-heavy or butt-heavy can be tiring to use and tends to create bad habits.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 15, 2013 07:43PM

Good point, Tom. As I thought about it I realized that for over 60 years I have instinctively grasped the rod further up, away from the butt with my non-reeling hand while I am fishing. I can instantly balance almost any rod/reel outfit this way and I don't have to add, remove, store or carry any extra weights whatsoever.

Date: October 15, 2013 08:31PM

I suppose that is also one advantage of something like a Ritz grip on a fly rod - you can move your hand up or back without overly changing the feel of the grip itself.

Lots of options available in terms of balancing a rod without having to add additional weight.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 19, 2013 12:10AM

So many fly rods I have cast feel just wonderful after a very short learning curve. Good casters make it all look so simple. And they can do that with a bevy of very different rods. An old soft, kinda heavy fiberglass, once you get used to it can be a blast for an hour or so. All day??!!?? Maybe not. "A man can't have enough fly rods!"

Posted by: Josh Coburn (---.byu.edu)
Date: October 28, 2013 12:42PM

Hey guys I found some interesting work done by an engineer and posted on his blog related to this. He measures the weight and sizes of a bunch of guides and also the finished weights etc. Unfortunately he doesn't go too deep into how different guide affect the "feel" of the blank. It would be really nice to see a similar treatise that builds on this work but shows the differences in CCS numbers, rod weight, and swing weight on identical builds except for the guide train. If I'm allowed to post the links I'll happily do so (Tom?) but since it's not my work I can't just copy it here. Plus a lot of the best info is in the charts and tables which wouldn't copy here anyways.

Posted by: Pat Hollander (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 08, 2014 02:44PM

So not sure if this thread is still going or not but im a newbie to rod building and im going to be building my second fly rod. im trying to figure out what kind of guides to use and after reading this thread I still don't hahahaha both sides seem good. But any imput from you guys would be appreciated, if you would like to message me instead of starting the whole thread again that's fine too. The rod I plan on building is a 9'6" NS6 by Thomas and Thomas. after reading the thread it seams that single foot guides seam to win based on weight and overall sensitivity / action of the rod. If you were to build the ultimate rod for chucking big streamers for big trout sparing no expense what guides would you guys use? size number of guides etc... and pardon my ignorance if I missed anything, like I said newbie here. Thanks for the help

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster