I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

loose reel seat
Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: September 29, 2013 11:12AM

Hi all
I have a rod which has a prefect cork handle but the reel seat just spins around so obv the epoxy has come off the seat. Can I repair this without removing anything else?
I was thinking drill a hole in the seat and inject new epoxy into the hole? Would this work?
Thanks in advance for any replies
Andi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: loose reel seat
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: September 29, 2013 11:47AM

Yes that will work, you may want to use thread epoxy as I think you will have a hard time injecting rod bond. You could drill a small hole where the locking nut ends up when tightened on the reel.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 29, 2013 01:34PM

I would not use thread finish There are several more liquid adhesives you can use can not remember any at this time
Try contacting your supplier
Some one will come up with a good one to use here

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 29, 2013 03:38PM

There are many adhesive type epoxies that flow a swell as the wrap coating type. You do not mention what type of rod this, if it is a fly rod, you should be able to remove the seat and then epoxy it back on.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 29, 2013 03:40PM

When you inject the adhesive, stand the rod up on its butt to allow the epoxy to settle down and hopefully into the arbors or whatever bushings might be there. Then repeat but stand the rod on the tip end (tape it to a table or something). Allow time between each process to allow the previous epoxy to set.

If you drill into the middle of the seat and hit a bushing, then you may have to move to one side or the other, or both, to find a clear area. The idea is to get it into the space between the seat and the blank and allow it to seep in-between the arbors and reel seat, at least as much as it can.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2013 06:55PM

One that will flow reasonably well is 30 minute slow cure sold by Galaxy Hobbies and distributed by Bob Smith Ind. Atascadero, CA. I would not attempt using anything faster than a slow cure. Save the drillings to mix with a little epoxy to fill the hole/s you drill.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 29, 2013 08:12PM

Since this is a fix
Put two holes in the seat
Of corse on the 180n of how you fish it

carfully drill do not hit the blank
Turn the seat and try to scrap out as much of the inside that you can It is of NO USE

Mark where the seat will sit with tape so you can alien it up

Put as much in as you can You want it to last a while
Like said do one hole stand it up let dry Then do the other hole and stand it on the tip

After it dries if you want to go crazy Fill the holes up
let dry sand even with the surface Spray or just touch the holes up
Or mask and spray the seat

I hope this is not a FLY rod with the seat on the end of the blank ???? Bummer / Replace

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: September 29, 2013 08:36PM

Thanks so much guys its a bass spinning rod not a fly rod lol I have some slow dry epoxy I can use.
Once again this forum has proved why its the best!
Tight threads all!!!
Andi

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (167.206.154.---)
Date: September 29, 2013 11:20PM

IMO there is no way one can inject epoxy into the seat/arbor interface. It MAY last a few outings though.
But if you really want to try - West System epoxy is the least viscus and they have syringes.

Best is to remove lower grip and re-do the seat from scratch. If multi piece rod - may be better to remove fore grip.

Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 11:34PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.216.---)
Date: September 30, 2013 07:33AM

You can also use air pressure to move the epoxy inside the seat. Obviously, stop when you see any coming out and quickly clean it off with alcohol.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: September 30, 2013 07:42AM

Old Jesse Buky trick. Cut the seat in half with the blank. Remove the old seat and get a new replacement . Fit a piece of scrap blank into the blank as if you were doing a repair. Set up your arbors and fit to the seat. Glue it all up at once align it. Let it set then fish the life out of it.The minute weight addition is at the fulcrum point and there is no strength lost. I have one rod I repaired this way as a guest rod on the boat and in the 4 years of service it has landed many 30 to 40 pound stripers. Chances are if the arbors let go they are tape or cardboard. Get a foam arbor and the weight difference with the inner sleeve may weigh less due to less epoxy.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2013 04:31PM

andi,
Use a pair of pliers to rip off the rear grip.

Then, slip the reel seat off the rod.

Clean up the blank where the rear grip was located.
Either use a new arbor for the reel seat, or make an arbor.

Use a generous amount of epoxy to reglue the reel seat in place and double and triple check the alignment of the reel seat to be in alignment with the guides.

Use DNA to wipe off the excess epoxy.

Then, obtain a new rear grip.
Build up the rod blank from the reel seat back to the area where the blank stops changing diameter. Then, ream or drill out the new grip to match the butt size of the blank.
Use a generous amount of epoxy to glue the rear grip in place.

Use DNA to clean up the excess epoxy and enjoy the rod.

You can be sure that neither the rear grip, nor the reel seat will loosen again.

Be safe

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (167.206.154.---)
Date: October 01, 2013 07:16PM

Fred,
Gutsy - but I like it.

Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster