I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo Fly Rod
Posted by: Chris E Linville (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 07, 2013 10:32PM

Trying to find out a little about a fly rod. the tag has been all but scratched off, can make out (gob) first three letters.
If you know who made these rod I would love to know more about it or where I can find some information.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo Fly Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2013 06:13AM

Can you get a photo of it?

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: September 08, 2013 01:36PM

yes photos are needed. let's see the label, reel seat and ferrules.

Date: September 08, 2013 02:24PM

I just uploaded two photos to my photo file.
Any help welcomed, also need to know what the old builders used as thread sealer.

Posted by: Razvan Matei (---.rdsnet.ro)
Date: September 08, 2013 03:36PM

Date: September 08, 2013 03:51PM

what you have there is an example of a post war Japanese rod. brought home by returning G.I.'s by the thousands. they usually came in a really nice box witha bunch of extra goodies like leaders and flies. don't expect to retire on it since even one in mint condition with all the bells and whistles would only bring $100 on a really good day.
as far as what the old guys used as a C.P. It was everything from lacquer to shellac. the majority of larger makers used nitrocellulose lacquer.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 08, 2013 03:56PM

Heck

You can buy a new bamboo fly rod for I have seen them $ 300.00 - 400.00

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 08, 2013 04:26PM

It's not mine some guy wants new guides and wraps on it , but if it was an antique I was going to try an talk him out of it.
He told me it was worth a lot of money and someone was going to buy it from him as an antique, but the reel seat is cheap
and I know very little about bamboo rods. Thank you for the information.
Chris

Date: September 08, 2013 04:37PM

whatever the customer wants. re-wrapping it in matching thread is going to cost more than the rod is probably worth but it can be done. clean it up, rewrap and give it a new overcoat of finish if needed. make it pretty and send it back. those rods always bring bad Mojo into the shop. like putting lipstick on a pig. but then again some people are into that.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2013 08:41PM

A great many people believe that any rod made from bamboo is worth a fortune. They're not, of course, and this one is worth about $50 to $150 depending on overall condition. And that $150 would be in absolutely top notch, like new condition with all the little knick knacks those rods came with originally. Most similar rods are worth closer to $50 to $75, unless somebody catches a rube (which they do, often).

It's a novelty more so than a real keepsake and that isn't likely to change in even a couple more decades. I'd inform the customer of the real world value and then rewrap it at your standard charge, if he still wants to do that.

Date: September 08, 2013 10:08PM

I'm calling the man Monday to see if he still wants the work done, because the price is more than the rod is worth.
Again Thank You for all the information, I Love This Site Tom so many with so much knowledge Thanks.
Chris

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.massmutual.com)
Date: September 09, 2013 12:21PM

My fishing buddy, now known as the Connecticut Picker, scored two of these sets for me for $20.00 a piece. Future retirement projects, wall hangers or display items for some fisherman's man cave.

Date: September 09, 2013 12:31PM

I sold a near mint set about a year ago for $75. sold it to a guy who had a classic "Woody Wagon". him and his wife have a whole vintage picnic/camping set up when they go to car shows and this was what he was looking for to complete the look.

Posted by: Frank Migliore (---.sub-70-208-77.myvzw.com)
Date: September 11, 2013 09:02AM

Great post very informative. I too have always thought any Bamboo Fly rod is worth $$$
@ gary~~~LOL Lipstick on a pig, made me laugh on a sad morning...

Date: September 11, 2013 02:21PM

So did I
At least if they were Tonkin Cane But how can ya tell what cane was used to make the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 11, 2013 02:33PM

even many cheap rods used Tonkin cane. what makes one better than the other is the quality of workmanship and the components.case in point. Heddon made hundreds of thousands of rods. The lower the model number the less expensive the rod. so if you were to compare a model 10 to a model 20 you would find that both were made with Tonkin cane maybe out of the same shipment. the cnae for both would be inspected for flaws and the better cane would go in the pile for the #20. both would be cut and milled on similar machines. pieces for the 20 would go to the handmade department where one person was responsible of making the rod. the 10 would go to the production line and would be put together by several workers. a 9' 20 would have 10 guides. the 9' 10 would maybe have 6 guides. since it cost more for the guides. so which one is better?
Many companies that build cane rods during thier peak had rods that cost everywhere from $100 right down to $1.50.
the problem with the box rods is that the components and cane are both beyond cheap and the finish is usually a lacquer that is brittle and will shatter if you cast the rod too much.
Plus a lot of what makes a good rod great is the taper of the cane. a few thousands of an inch here and there can make a huge difference.

Date: September 11, 2013 02:59PM

I can not understand why some buy a bamBoo rod for maybe 1500 plus
If that is the case A 300.00 rod should be the same thing if made well

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 11, 2013 03:04PM

because the $300 is partially machine cut and made where as if you are spending upwards of $1500 every bit of that rod is made by hand from splitting the cane to hand planeing and requires over 40 hours of work. plus some of it is really a supply and demand issue. if say Heddon made 10000 9' 5 wt low end rods but only 100 7' wt high end rods. which is going to sell for more on the secondary market?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster