I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

loose wraps
Posted by: mick mcmahon (---.ip.esc.net.au)
Date: September 08, 2013 03:29AM

I am in the process of wrapping a surf rod on an "unsanded" blank and the problems that I am experiencing are
1) After wrapping the guides using C thread and after appliying colour preserver part of the binding lifts up onto the adjacent threads. This does not happen on all of the wraps ? also 2) On a couple of other guide wraps a noticeable space develops between the threads as the thread is drying from the colour preserver application.
In all instances the threads appear to be hard up against one and other and no spaces are visible to the naked eye prior to applying colour preserver. I do burnish each completed wrap.
There appears to be sufficient pressure applied on the thread carriage as the guides do reguire a bit of finger pressure to fine tune rhe guide alignment.
I am obviously doing something wrong and I would appreciate any advice that could help to eliminate the problems mentioned.

Regards Mick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: loose wraps
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 08, 2013 04:24AM

Hi Mick,
On unsanded blanks you can get a problem with the thread following the spiral of the blank if you have that sort of blank. However sounds to me like you don't have enough thread tension and you are not packing the thread sufficiently. If you are doing underwraps then get a burnishing tool up against the thread as you are wrapping it and keep forcing back against itself. This is not as easy to do on overwraps as the guide feet can upset it but it can be done. Do some test wraps on the blank if possible and see how you go with more tension and packing. "A" thread will give you a better finish but is a little more difficult to use but magnification solves that problem. I use madeira which is smaller than"a" and with magnification and discipline I get uniform wraps on unsanded blanks such as Pacific Composites. Try increasing your tension as guides should be difficult to move for alignment as the fact that the wraps are getting on top of themselves indicates you don't have anywhere near enough thread tension.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: September 08, 2013 08:40AM

G'Day Mick Col's spot on with his advise crank up the tension & pack regularly.Burnishing tends to flatten the thread & make it look like all the threads are packed tight & when you add CP to the thread it can act like a lubricant & thread can move .If you have sufficient tension on the thread the stretch will overcome it's tendency to move.

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 08, 2013 08:59AM

You could have ran some 600 sandpaper and water over the blank to take the ridges off to make it easier to pack the threads

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2013 11:45AM

Mick,
The best solution is NOT to use unsanded blanks. It doesn't take much to sand them and then the bulk of these issues will disappear.

When I sand a blank, I do it in a bucket of water outside.

I use wet and dry sand paper starting at 100 grit. Then, I go on down to 1200 grit and the surface is matte smooth. If you have the butt of the rod in the bucket of water, the bulk of all of the sanding material simply falls into the bucket as you sand. And, since you are sanding wet, there is no dust.

Be safe

Date: September 08, 2013 09:01PM

Col,Barry.Bill and Rodger thanks for the advice.Its very much appreciated.

I did consider sanding the blank back to a smooth finish,but I do like the look and feel of the unsanded blank especialy for a surf rod.

I will experiment with thread tensions and ensure that each thread lies firmly up against the previous threads layed.Obviously a few extra minutes spent ensuring that the binding process is of a higher standard will reap rewards.

I will purchase a magnification lamp so that,in future, I can check that all is ok prior to adding colour preserver

Thanks Mick

Date: September 08, 2013 09:06PM

Roger

appologies for mispelling you name.

Cheers Mick

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: September 09, 2013 09:32PM

G'Day Mick I've just checked how much weight it takes for my thread spool to start turning & it's 101 grams .This might give you a starting point for your problem

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster