I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wrapping guide for tip top
Posted by: David Giudice (---.info)
Date: August 27, 2013 03:55PM

Do any of you have any tips for wrapping a single foot guide for a tiptop? I need to do this since I cannot find a tip top that has the ring size and tube dia. I need to match my last guide. No problem with using a guide for a tip top, I just cannot seem to get the hang of wrapping it on there. My wrapper will not support the very tip beyond about four or five inches from the tip so that end has no support and my thread tension bows the rod out to where it is impossible for me to work with it. Someone suggested I used a fly tying bobbin but I am not sure how you would start and stop the wrap with one. Suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wrapping guide for tip top
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 03:58PM

Ask here
I am sure there MAY be one out there

You can also go up a size in top ring size

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 04:42PM

Earlier this year I found myself going old school, with phone book on floor as my tensioner for a 7'10" blank. A bobin would work well also, just wrap normally, nothing to it.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 05:53PM

First thing that I do is make sure that the very tip of the blank is not rounded. If it is, I sand it square with the blank. When I prep the guide (Fuji TLSG3.5), I bend the guide slightly forward to provide an angle more conducive to the line flow. Then I use tape to hold the guide in position with the ring slightly forward of the tip (the tip never extends past the guide). Because the tip is so flexible, I manipulate/control the tip when rolling with both hands while wrapping (the other end of the blank is supported). I wrap the thread as close to the tip as possible so as not to have the tread slip off the blank (I never use a locking wrap). After aligning and applying finish, I apply a very small dollop of finish to form a “bridge” between the guide and the tip. This is best done after the finish begins to set and is slightly thicker to prevent wicking down to the wrap.

Posted by: Andy Stromsness (199.67.138.---)
Date: August 28, 2013 09:38AM

On ice rods I have found that wrapping down the blank for the tip top helps as well.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 10:38AM

A fly tying bobbin works really well for this.

Make sure to use a security wrap on the guide to prevent pulling out. Article in the library for this if you haven't used it.

Terry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 12:38PM

It is easy to make a support for your flexible tip.
I just use a piece of cutting board for a base. Then, I use a piece of solid fiberglass rod blank for the upright. I drill a hole in the base to support the vertical blank and use a dremel grinder to grind a slot in the end of the blank to support the tip.

Then, you can just take a piece of thread in your hand, and wrap on the guide, No need for a fly tying bobbin or wrapper or anything else, Just hold the thread in your fingers and use your fingers to control the tension and wrap the guide on the end. Pretty easy and very simple.

Another thing that helps is to wrap the guide about a 1/4 inch from the end of the rod, and then when complete, slip the guide down to the tip. Typically the tip is fairly constant diameter for the first several inches, so usually not an issue with thread tension on the guide.
By having the guide up the blank a bit, it keeps your wraps from slipping off the end of the blank when wrapping.

Be safe

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: chip burdick (---.sub-70-215-7.myvzw.com)
Date: August 29, 2013 08:49AM

I build ice rids and do this a lot. I use my left hand to support rod a right for guiding wrap. Go slow. This is where a good tensioner pays for itself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster