I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice Blanks
Posted by: Scott Cmelik (---.zaindata.jo)
Date: August 27, 2013 01:12PM

I am looking for a couple of ice rod blanks and I am having a hard time choosing. I have narrowed it down to two, maybe three, different blanks but having never seen either blank I'm not sure which one will be best.

The first rod I am going to be building is going to be a jigging rod for light biting deep water perch, using jigs from 3-4mm tungsten jigs and size 8-12 lead jigs and plastics exlusively with no spring bobbers with 2lbs test.

I am looking at two blanks right now:

MHX 30" UL
Thorne Brothers Quiverstick

The other rod I am going to build is going to basically be the same but this one will be a spring bober rod. Is it worth spending the extra money one the TB blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice Blanks
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 02:36PM

The thorne brothers quiverstick is 100% worth the extra money.

Be safe

Posted by: Bill Willis (---.sub-174-238-97.myvzw.com)
Date: August 28, 2013 08:22AM

Also the MHX UL are still pretty heavy for an ultra light.

Posted by: John Shear (---.sgi.com)
Date: August 28, 2013 02:27PM

I will be building an ice rod that will use the St Croix spring. Lonnie at Throne Bros recommends their panfish sweetheart for use with a spring bobber. The quiverstick is excellent for use without a spring bobber, but you'll see more up-bites with the spring.

John

Date: August 29, 2013 12:19AM

Bill that is exactly what I was looking for. I wasn't sure just how light their ultra light was, sounds like it would make a pretty good light spoon rod though.

John, I have been thinking about the Panfish sweetheart as well, for a spring bobber rod I am not sure spending an extra 20 bucks on a blank is worth the price. In your experience is the quiverstick going to be sensitive enough to see light perch bites in deep water?

Posted by: chip burdick (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 29, 2013 06:24AM

Thorne brothers also offers a blank in thier hardwater series that is like the noodle. Has about 3 inches of soft tip before getting backbone. You can also take a solid blank and sand it down to your liking. Static test it as you sand. I sand alot of rods to get exactly what I am looking for. I drive momma crazy building rods for myself. I usually build about 10 rods a year for me and another 10-15 for friends.I hope this helps.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2013 12:17PM

For fishing crappies and sunnies without a spring bobber, I use an ultra flexible fiberglass $2 blank. It works very very well. There is little back bone in the entire rod, but that basically makes the entire rod one long spring bobber.

Give it a try.

When you set the hook, just point the rod down the hole and reel. No need for rod backbone if you use your elbow to pull up the fish.

Be safe

Posted by: Bill Willis (---.sub-174-238-98.myvzw.com)
Date: August 29, 2013 07:20PM

The MHX blanks are pretty stiff for their rating... I use the 26" "Ultra Light" for walleyes all the time. Handled a 26" walleye no problem last winter along with other good sized eyes.

I would never use any MHX blank for panfish. Unless they have changed there blanks or added different models over last years lineup.

Bill

Date: August 29, 2013 11:00PM

Chip, I am assuming that you are talking about their powernoodle? I thought about going with that blank but wasn't sure on the speed of the rod. Even though this rod will be used to target deep water perch there is an abundance of walleye and the occasional northern, I wasn't sure if the PN was going to have enough backbone to get a solid hook sent into a walleye in deep water.

Bill, that is good to know because I need a couple of new walleye rods as well in the future.

Posted by: chip burdick (---.sub-70-215-6.myvzw.com)
Date: August 30, 2013 06:33AM

Has plant of hook set in reserve. I have caught northern up to 39". Its a very fast rod. All backbone from 5" back. Can see mid season light bites without a scoring bobber. I was getting ready for this season and was looking to order more. Basically the same blank as the noodle.

Posted by: chip burdick (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2013 07:13AM

ok auto correct is my enemy. thats suppose to say plenty of hook set. spring bobber,

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: September 03, 2013 10:35PM

Check out the Microlite blanks from Janns NetCraft.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster