I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy drying time
Posted by: Arthur Long (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2013 08:11PM

I was bored waiting on my next project, so I decided to put fish length markers on my rods (all of them) just did a simple 3 wrap. Unfortunately, I only have one drying motor and ten rods to do. My question is, how can I speed up the drying time on the epoxy? I did a couple searches and unless I'm overlooking, I didn't see anything that specifically deals with this subject. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy drying time
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2013 08:42PM

Epoxy does not dry, it cures. It can be accelerated some by warming.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2013 08:53PM

Right, get the area a bit warmer.

For any 18F increase or decrease in temp from about 70F, you will either halve or double the set and cure time. Get things up to about 90 and you're good to go in about half the time.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2013 09:01PM

And don't forget that you should only need to rotate them for 2-3 hours for them to reach a no sagging point. They don't need to rotate the entire time.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2013 09:45PM

There are some people who turn their drying rods by hand... you could set up some simple supports - apply finish as you normally do, then move the rod to the drying rack and keep turning each rod on the drying rack every couple of minutes to start, while you are applying finish on the next rod...

or you can pick a couple of cheap dryers and do a few rods at a time - I believe mudhole just released some inexpensive ones...

Posted by: Arthur Long (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 08:33AM

Thanks to all for the suggestions, since it seems I'm getting more involved in this craft, I'll have to better organize my room for additional work stations. I've already looked at Mudhole's RDS and will get a couple soon.
Thanks again, it is greatly appreciated.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 11:48AM

Arthur,
If you want to dry more than one rod at a time, you can use a drum dryer:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I have been making these for a while and I can make you the complete unit; or parts of the dryer and you can finish it yourself.

The dryer uses a single DC gear motor to rotate the main square shaft and you can dry 12 rods on the dryer at a time.
The picture is just for illustratioln to illustrate all of the parts of the dryer. The actual dryer uses a main center shaft that is a few inches longer than the longest rod you would like to dry.

If interested, drop me an e-mail -- If you want to make all of the parts yourself, I will tell you how to do the job yourself.

hflier@comcast.net

Roger Wilson

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 12:52PM

What's the minimum time you wait between coats?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 02:37PM

Mike -
Apply one coat correctly and you don't have to apply a 2nd coat.

Otherwise, 3 hours should be plenty of drying time for the 2nd coat.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 05:16PM

Second coat, after the first is "tack free" however long that takes. Shoulb less the 4-5 hours unless mixture is wrong.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 05:47PM

Either that
Or use Permagloss That is fast and you can put on a coat ABOUT every 15 - 20 mim's

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster