I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Tape for TN Handles
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 16, 2013 08:35AM

What have you guys found to be the best TN handle tape?

I don't want to do the thread wrap and epoxy method - too hard to switch reels if desired.

Has anyone found a way to get the graphite slip rings to hold better so you can just use them?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Tape for TN Handles
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2013 08:37AM

Are you working on a cork or carbon tube TN handle?

Date: August 16, 2013 09:24AM

Cork - will turn it myself, and may mix some burl or exotics in to it.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 16, 2013 09:55AM

I find that adding some rubberized cork rings in the area where the reel will live helps to hold the graphite rings tighter.
If using a preformed Tennessee grip, we just cut and add where we need the rubberized rings.
And it adds some color to the grip.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: August 16, 2013 09:57AM

Hey Ron - are you using actual rubberized like commonly used on butt ends, or is it some type of burl?

Posted by: Gary Weber (173.241.113.---)
Date: August 16, 2013 10:17AM

I have used silicone tape (Tommy tape) for several years with no problems. At Home Depot it is sold as stretch and seal in the plumbing section.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2013 11:35AM

Place about 3 to 4 turns of nylon filament box strapping tape on each foot and then cover with heat shrink tubing that is trimmed just barely beyond the length of the reel foot.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 16, 2013 03:23PM

The cork rings I mentioned are "burl".

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Walt Foreman (12.217.226.---)
Date: August 16, 2013 05:03PM

Electrical tape. For years the only handle type I made for spinning rods was a true Tennessee handle, which does not use slip rings but only electrical tape. The slip rings are entirely superfluous as they will never hold the reel securely, reliably - I have proven this to myself the hard way after making multiple slip-ring rods in the past couple years. They don't call them "slip" for nothing. With an all-cork handle and electrical tape sans slip rings, you get a much more streamlined reel-handle connection, and it's also more comfortable.

Posted by: Dan Launstein (---.161.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: August 17, 2013 07:44AM

Ditto on the electrical tape for securing the reel foot to the handle, but use a good quality brand like 3M. Also, don't be too stingy on the number of tape wraps, and make the tape stretch a bit as you wrap it on.

Once the reel is taped on, I prefer to cover the taped region with shrink tubing. It generally feels more comfortable and slip-resistant than tape only. I use two pieces of shrink tubing with the ends, which are placed at the reel foot stem, cut at angles so they overlap at the stem of the real foot. This allows for complete coverage of the taped real foot up to the stem, and its a pretty clean look. If I could figure out how to upload a picture to this site, it would help explain the shrink tubing cutting and overlapping.

I've been using electrical tape for over 20 years and started adding the shrink tubing to cover it several years ago now. This two step approach secures the real to the handle well, feels and looks better than tape alone and is not so permanent that you can't put a different reel on the rod from time to time.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 17, 2013 08:50AM

Gary Weber Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have used silicone tape (Tommy tape) for several
> years with no problems. At Home Depot it is sold
> as stretch and seal in the plumbing section.

I also use silicone tape. No residue, and it bonds to itself.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2013 02:02PM

Like Bob suggested a wrap or two of strapping take will guarantee no slipping, then cover with the tape of your choice or shrink wrap! I also like to sand a flat spot where the foot will sit, not much just wide enough for the reel foot. Of course you will not do this on a graphite grip! I also cover the area where the reel will be taped on with a layer of masking tape before putting the reel on.

Posted by: Wes Weaver (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2013 05:23AM

Bob McKamey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Place about 3 to 4 turns of nylon filament box
> strapping tape on each foot and then cover with
> heat shrink tubing that is trimmed just barely
> beyond the length of the reel foot.

Now that is slick...might even work in light saltwater apps,thank's Bob

Posted by: chip burdick (---.sub-70-215-0.myvzw.com)
Date: August 27, 2013 06:02AM

I don't know what its called. But in the electrical department at the hardware store the have a self sealing tape. As you wrap you stretch it and it seals to itself. No glue on it to stick to the cork. I use it for ice rods.

Posted by: John Shear (---.sgi.com)
Date: August 28, 2013 02:46PM

Bull castration bands work great for ice rods. A company markets them in nice colors with an installation tool for the fishing industry. Am I allowed to give their name here if they're not a sponsor?

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster