I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

metallics for guide wrapping?
Posted by: Frank Porter (---.vfserver.com)
Date: August 16, 2013 12:36PM

I was always told you should not use metallic thread for wrapping guides. Trim wraps OK but not in the actual wrap that binds the guide. I think this has changed with newer metallics but not sure. Can anyone recommend a metallic thread that will be OK for wrapping guides with? But not too big. I am doing some light popping rods and want to stick with an A sized thread if possible. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: metallics for guide wrapping?
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.117.186.31.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: August 16, 2013 01:18PM

Some wrap guides with ordinary metalllics with no problems. I've only ever used Gudebrod HT metallic thread which is regular nylon thread with a metallic core and stronger than sewing thread metallics.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 01:28PM by Steve Mcleod.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: August 16, 2013 03:43PM

I've used Gudebrod, Fish Hawk, National, PacBay, and ProWrap size A metallics on rods with powers up to the medium salmon fishing qualifications for years with no problems.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2013 07:29PM

Steve, I believe all metallic have a nylon core and are over wrapped with the metallic.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.117.186.31.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: August 16, 2013 08:04PM

I should have worded that better. I meant the metallic foil when I refered to it as the core.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2013 10:49PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Works Fine!

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.drdrcmta01.drdrla.by.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 16, 2013 10:52PM

There was a thread on this forum a few weeks ago on this topic and many people (including myself) said they use metallics for guide wraps very successfully. You do need to be sure that it fits the application. For most fresh water and inshore builds I think you'll be fine with metallic guide wraps.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 10:54PM by Steve Hartzell.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 16, 2013 11:43PM

I've built up to 30 lb. live bait blank with metallic with no problem, including Sulky metallic.

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: August 17, 2013 09:46AM

Hi Frank

I just finished my first build ever. Built a mag tapper using metallic wrap on my guides and metallic trim wraps. I also used nylon near the butt end. I will say the nylon was much easier to use. However I did complete the guides eventually. I had to rewrap several guides along the way with the metallic thread. I fished with the rod all this past week and it was awesome! Not to mention my friends have now asked for one!

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2013 12:24PM

Frank,

I have been building bass rods for tears using size A metallic thread and have never had a thread problem.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Mark L'Oste-Brown (---.lns7.pie.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 21, 2013 10:19PM

On a light - medium this is fine. If you are looking to build a heavier rod perhaps use nylon thread as your first overbind and then a final overbind in metallic. This will provide you with the strength you need and the look you are after. Just be sure to use a similar colour nylon for you first overbind as the metallic just in case it shows through any small gaps you may leave.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster