I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do you order Guides (and other components) Online?
Posted by: Carlos Saravia (71.20.241.---)
Date: August 14, 2013 11:08AM

Hey guys,

My first build is going along wonderfully. I'll tell you what, building scale model airplanes has been more than handy for this new venture!

My BIGGEST problem to date, however, has been ordering the sizes for the different components of my build. While the winding checks and trim were easy to fit thanks to Mudhole's MHX spacing charts, other parts of the build have not been as easy. The hardest components to fit have been the guides. I have been using Minima Pac Bay 4 guides. I ended up having to go with one more micro guide than I originally anticipated so I have to wait for that to come in the mail tomorrow before I can continue adding my running guide train. Also, although I bought reduction guides ranging from size 20-8, come to find out, I am probably going to need a guide somewhere in the 7-4 range to finish off the build. That's a good bit deal more on shipping costs, but especially wasted time.

In short, I wanted to know if this was just a normal part of building a custom rod. If building a truly custom rod means having to wait for parts to come in so that I can get the best fit (as opposed to just following a general, broad recipe), then I am all for it! However, if I am doing something wrong on my part, or there are other tips and tricks that you guys follow to avoid having to make two or three separate orders, then I am all ears.

Thanks guys, this has been an awesome experience so far!

Carlos

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do you order Guides (and other components) Online?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 14, 2013 11:22AM

It's going to be very difficult to order exactly and only what you end up needing. In many cases it's wise to order a few extra guides; certainly a tiptop one up and one down from what the target specs list (or have the dealer fit a top to the blank at the time of ordering, which may require a phone call or message in the online order box).

If you intend to build more than one rod, it shouldn't be a problem to order the odd extra guide or two; an extra butt cap or check. At some point you'll need them and you'll have them on hand.

Other parts can be made to fit. Winding checks, arbors, seats, etc., can be shimmed, bored, reamed, etc. Custom rod building isn't quite a paint by the numbers process. It does require some craftsmanship and light technical ability on the part of the builder.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: August 14, 2013 03:49PM

Besides the more rods you've built, the easier is it going to be. With experience you will know what guide sizes and how many guides to use for a particular blank and application. I have built maybe 20-30 rods so far (wet behind the ears by all standards) but this has been enough to tell me what guides I will need for a blank and of late I have not made any serious mistakes in guide sizing or spacing. Sheer numbers help.
:-)
Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 14, 2013 04:18PM

Like Michal and Tom before me mentioned. Experience will prove, so for "cushion", order a few more guides, tops, etc.... you will use them again. With a little over 275 completed todate, always something new, new blanks/models/action etc. For the most part, I try to keep extra everything I use - just like you mentioned....shipping for a certain guide or whatever you don't have will be a little more costly. In general, with every order I submit, I always add a diff color thread, or one that's running out and several guides and tip-tops of different sizes, along with a few buttcaps. I usually order stuff like hook-keepers and checks by 30 or so (I have a tendency to throw them away or loose packs of 10).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 01:51PM by Fred Trahan.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 14, 2013 08:52PM

My advice.....spend your time now considering if this hobby is for you and just what rods you desire to own in the future. If so, save your money and wait for the right time. That time is often around black Friday when you can buy for around 40% off. Plan to buy enough blanks to take you to the next black Friday.

In the meantime, frequent places like Utmost and also check for sales and closeouts at the other places. Get a handle on what you can often pick up on the cheap and the stuff you can't.

Take a good look at what you have, what you need, and what you want (in terms of rods). Think about how much you can save in the next 3 months and how many rods you want to get. That will determine what you can spend on each one. Then we can help you find the best blanks in your budget for your type of fishing. You want a little flexibilty but when the time comes you need to move very fast so you need to know ahead of time. If you can find others to go in on your purchase so much the better.

On the other hand, it money doesn't matter, ignore all I have said.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Mick Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 16, 2013 11:20PM

Utmost doesn't not have an online store as we prefer to speak or deal via email directly with our customers in order to make sure you receive everything you need to finish your project. We will fit the tip top and winding check for you and we will make suggestions or changes if required after consulting with either our rod builder or the boys at Batsons. We check emails throughout the weekend and will respond in a timely manner - utmost39@aol.com. Carol-Utmost Enterprises

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.16.186.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 17, 2013 03:30AM

HI Carlos,

I have made a few model airplanes when I was younger, now I build "CUSTOM" fishing rods.

No two are the same. When I made my first rod, it was from a kit I was given as a gift.

Now 3 yrs. later I have a room I use to build rods, a power rod wrapper a dryer motor set up,now I will say that is just the start of 'WHAT ONE WILL NEED" if you stay in this art of building rods.

I buy my parts (guides) in sets, spinning 1 #20 #16 1# 12 1#10 2#8 2#7 4#6 and 4#5 now I will not need all the guides for one rod build, but I'll have sizes to put in my guide size box, as time goes by I have built up extra guides if I need one that I didn't order on the next build.

Over time I have built up parts by buying 1 or 2 extra parts like reel seats, grips butt caps and cork rings to make my handles I find a lot of things on sale on E bay, if you know what is good stuff and what is junk.

Russell said it well, Be careful or you will get hooked on the art of custom Rods. I did I love to make custom rods.

Tom Kirkmans book on rod building is a must read if you are new to the ART of rod building, it helped me to get hooked big time
. Thank you Tom

I'll go now, I've said to much . good luck . If I can help you call me at 706-652-3409

Linegrabber Custom Rods

Maysville GA.

What is life without fishing ?

Posted by: chip burdick (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2013 07:42PM

That's a learning curve you will overcome quickly. I am a hobby builder but I have extras that I will use. Every order has a new color thread. Just think with the extra parts, you will have to build more rods. Can never have enough rods.

Posted by: jon tobey (---.sea.wa.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: September 18, 2013 12:40AM

I have a BUNCH of blanks and was looking to find if I could order an assortment of fly rod guides. I found this:
[www.mudhole.com]
But I wish there were more selections (like stainless, etc.).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster