I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuju KWSG guides
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 08:32PM

Not sure which one I want. The size 40 comes with a "L" designation. What is the "L" for? I need the more sturdier of the two. Which should I order?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuju KWSG guides
Posted by: Michael Shea (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: August 05, 2013 09:08PM

L usually means the guide height is lower than the standard J version. How much, lower, not sure, consult Anglers Resource to find out the guide heights.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 09:14PM

From what I looked up at Angler's Resource the 40L is 59.7 mm in height and the 40 is 79mm. It is from a fuji height comparison chart. From your other post I would think you want to be sure of the right height on that big reel. Below is the chart.

[anglersresource.net]

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2013 09:16PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lightspeed.irvnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 12:34AM

Thanks guys. New to this guide so did not understand . I definitely need the higher frames. Thanks again

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: August 06, 2013 11:41AM

Mel, do read the comment below on your other post. You might have to pick between 27X and the more rugged guide. Everything is a trade off in someway:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 06, 2013 11:47AM

No matter what guide system you use, you're going to have the line coming up at an angle to the first guide if it's not high enough or far enough away. This isn't just something unique to the 27X method, in this case with that reel, it's going to be true to all systems.

Most heavy spinning outfits used for offshore fishing with heavy line and shorter rods, employ the COF or something close to it. Even then you're up against the same thing - without sufficient height, you have to move the butt guide way up the rod or else adjust to having the line come up sharply to the butt guide ring if you use a closer positioning.

Make sure you get guides that will do the job and stand up to whatever pressure they're going to be under. From there you'll just have to come up with a guide set that works with those guides on that rod with that reel. You may not be able to squeeze every bit of casting distance out of the rod, but you're not going to have a dog either. Try not to overthink or worry about it too much.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.syd.static-ipl.aapt.com.au)
Date: August 06, 2013 07:14PM

For what it is worth Mel, I don't particularly like the L frames. Too low for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster