I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave Challenge in Mid-Michigan
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 05, 2013 06:44AM

Greetings everyone....

On August 16-18 from 9am to 9pm I will be set up at the Lapeer Days Celebration Festival in the crafter's area right on the river.

I will be giving the Microwave Challenge all weekend long, so if you are in Mid-Michigan and would like to see for yourself what it is all about please swing on by.

PS.... Jim Ising & Jim Spooner, If you stop by I have a free American Tackle hat and a set of Microwave guides guides for you. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2013 06:46AM by Don Morse.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave Challenge in Mid-Michigan
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 10:53AM

I suspect the benefits of microwave guides are pretty much limited to use with open-face spinning reels, but I'm not sure. Do these "microwave challenges" include rods with revolving spools, or trolling rods, or jigging rods, or dropshot rods, or downrigger rods, or pitching rods, or fly rods? Are there any disadvantages to using microwave guides with anything besides an open-face spinning reel or any of these other fishing techniques?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 11:18AM

That is why it was invented
To control the Pig Tails coming off a spinning reel
A casting reel the line comes off straight No pig tails
There is a casting microwave guide set -- Try them on a casting rod ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2013 02:20PM

Hi Phil,

Line control is a benefit on any and all rods that cast. The MicroWave system is based on effective line control. Might even have benefits for trolling rods etc. but the focus has been on rods that cast.

There are absolutely no disadvantages to using these guide unless one of our competitors tells you that they don’t work. As if the lure falls at your feet when casting?? In all seriousness, these guides will outperform anything else out there especially once you become accustomed to the casting style that helps them excel for the lure weight/rod power being thrown. I say this only because some here have said they see little difference in distance when in our testing and that of most we’ve spoken to have proven otherwise with results improving the longer they work with them. They certainly will cast every bit as far( in reality farther) than anything else available and when adding all the other advantages as well, they clearly come out as a top choice for casting and spinning rods.

To anybody considering taking this “Challenge” offered, do not miss the opportunity to experience MicroWave guides, especially through an expert like Don. Thank you for your participation Don!

Respectfully,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 05, 2013 02:33PM

Don,
As tempting as your offer is, I’ll have to pass. It’s a bit too far from North Alabama……besides, I already have some of the guides……though not the hat (Ha).

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 10:11AM

Fuji's KR CONCEPT matches or exceeds the performance of concentric ring guide systems in every category. And you don't have to "learn" how to cast using a KR CONCEPT built rod. Complete KR guide placement information is now available for download at our web site. Why not build one and see for yourself. [www.anglersresource.net]

Date: August 06, 2013 11:39AM

I don't know about anyone else but I am getting sick of "Fuji" hijacking every thread mentioning the Microwave guides.... If this keeps up I am afraid the SK seat I just installed may be the last Fuji component that makes it on any rod I build.

When I show customers the Microwave guides and do the challenge with them, I show them a cone of flight rod and have them cast it in the challenge just like the challenge was designed. I give all of my customers every choice possible. I show them a concept train, I show them a rapid choke train, I show them the "old school" cone of flight train, I show them the Microwave train. After the microwave challenge if they desire to cast the concept I let them. Not as much noticeable difference between the MW and the concept when casting. What I hear 99% of the time is "that looks like all the rest (concept), my buddies don't have anything like these (microwave) ,I do not see a reason to get these (concept)".

Give the customer what they want, I build rods that not only perform better than what 90% of anglers have ever used but also the look they want and the "wow Factor" . If that is the Microwaves (which do perform GREAT, no matter what the negative nancys say) then that is what I will use.

Also I would wager that 98% of everyday anglers that cast a properly set up microwave rod against properly set up concept or rapid choke system will see little difference in performance. Try to sell that customer, (who is paying top dollar for a custom rod) a guide set that looks like what he has now over something he has never seen before.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 11:54AM

Don Morse Wrote:

>
> PS.... Jim Ising & Jim Spooner, If you stop by I
> have a free American Tackle hat and a set of
> Microwave guides guides for you. :)

Don, I don't think you can address someone in a post and then accuse them of hijacking the thread when they respond to you.

But I do see your point and I think Fuji makes good enough products that they do not need to get involved in the MW threads. They should do what they do and let American Tackle do what they do. Both companies have their fans and both will continue to sell guides.

Date: August 06, 2013 11:59AM

James Newsome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don Morse Wrote:
>
> >
> > PS.... Jim Ising & Jim Spooner, If you stop by
> I
> > have a free American Tackle hat and a set of
> > Microwave guides guides for you. :)
>
> Don, I don't think you can address someone in a
> post and then accuse them of hijacking the thread
> when they respond to you.
>
> But I do see your point and I think Fuji makes
> good enough products that they do not need to get
> involved in the MW threads. They should do what
> they do and let American Tackle do what they do.
> Both companies have their fans and both will
> continue to sell guides.

Thanks James.... if he would have responded to my invitation I would not take it as a hijack ;)

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 12:30PM

Don:

You are absolutely right and I apologize. I was responding to Mr Heim's comment that "There are absolutely no disadvantages to using these guide unless one of our competitors tells you that they don’t work. As if the lure falls at your feet when casting??". I responded since the comment was obviously aimed at us and just as obviously overstated. I will try to be more selective in my rebuttals.

Date: August 06, 2013 12:34PM

thanks Jim.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 01:12PM

It's nice to see component vendors citing objective measurements rather than "feel," "sensitivity," "titanic hook sets" and other such subjective adspeak. Still, rod builders and users would do well to remember that individual innovations in blanks and components have been incremental and have provided at best razor-thin improvements over previous products and methods and for limited methods of casting and angling.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 06, 2013 09:26PM

Jim, I apologize about your name by the way.

You may not believe this but I was not referencing your company in that statement. We do have other competitors and I have no idea what all are saying about the MWG’s. In fact I haven’t given it much thought until our exchange. But I could imagine that they might say they don't work. After all, we all offer guides that can make favorable layouts but we stand alone against the rest you by offering the MicroWave Line Control System.

One thing I have learned over the years is that if a product isn’t all that, then it won’t last in the market place no matter how much marketing is done. Consumers vote with their wallets and time will prove it worthy or not.

You seem to spend an awful lot of energy on the MWG’s. If you have confidence in your own products and do not believe the MWG’s are as good then you’ll have nothing to worry about and can promote the KR’s on their own merits.

We are certainly confident in our products and the MWG’s so we’ll do likewise and continue boldly promoting them on their benefits.

Respectfully,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster