I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim Bands - HELP PLEASE!
Posted by: Chris Tulk (65.95.209.---)
Date: July 31, 2013 09:11AM

Hi All,

I am in the middle of my first build and I am having a real heck of a time with my trim bands! I am building a casting rod with Fuji micro guides using metallic thread. Can someone please point me to a video that shows an easy way to do trim bands please? I have tried to wrap them the same way you would a regular wrap but only turning 6 times. Let me tell you this has been a very frustrating task! They just don't hold very well!

I have been searching Youtube to no end. I am tired of Youtube now. I am looking to purchase the most comprehensive DVD for rod building. Any thoughts here?

Your feedback is always appreciated and never forgotten!

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim Bands - HELP PLEASE!
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2013 09:22AM

Rodmaker Magazine for starters.

In the meantime, you have to put your pull-through loop in very early, perhaps when you make your second turn. By the same token, the original tag end has to stay in place until your fourth or fifth turn, so you'll have both the tag end and the pull-through loop in play at the same time. You may also find that using a little more tension will be beneficial.

Posted by: Don Ahart (74.125.179.---)
Date: July 31, 2013 10:18AM

Mudhole has a YouTube vid and did you see this writeup in the library?
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2013 10:47AM

Maybe you can give us a little more info? Are you trying to install trim bands on the end of the wrap or inlay in the wrap? Metallics are a little tougher to work with but they can be done. End wraps can be done after the wrap is completed with 3 or more turns so 6 turns shouldn't be bad at all.

If you unhide your email address, I can send you a trim wrap tutorial I did awhile back. The library article also gives good instruction on various kinds of trim wraps. You can send me an email at turnernt@comcast.net

Terry

Posted by: Walt Foreman (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: July 31, 2013 11:12AM

I second that metallic thread is harder to work with - significantly so. I did one rod with metallic trim bands and decided that would be my first and last experience with such.

Posted by: Seth Cavarretta (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: July 31, 2013 11:13AM

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2013 11:49AM

[www.rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2013 11:56AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2013 12:29PM

To keep the trim bands from coming loose, I start the trim bank under the original wrap. Then, I make the trim bands and pull the ends of the trim bands back under the original wrap.
It does mean having about 4 pull threads under the main wraps at the same time, but then they never pull loose.

Be safe

Posted by: Chris Tulk (65.95.209.---)
Date: July 31, 2013 07:14PM

Hi All

Thank you very much for your feedback! Very much appreciated!

I will respond to you all in order of your posts

Tom I asked you if I could subscribe to the magazine but you said no because I am i Canada. :-(

Don thanks for the article. I will read it tonight.

Terry I am trying to tie them at the end of my wraps holding the guides down. I didn't realize my email was hidden. I changed it and thank you for pointing that out! I would like to get that email.

Walt this may be my last metallic wrap also!!!!!

Seth and Berry thanks I will take a look tonight.

Roger I am a little confused??? I would need a visual of that. FIrst build remember.

Again than you all

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: July 31, 2013 07:59PM

Chris,
Like Roger I also tie in my pull loop and trim thread at the beginning of my wrap.
I lay my trim wrap thread and pull loop on the blank and wrap my main thread over both.
After approx 8 turns of my main thread, this secures my loop and trim thread, I wrap my trim. 4 to 6 turns and insert into my pull loop.
Pull the trim thread thru, under the main wrap and trim.
Continue my main wrap covering my main wrap crossover and both ends of the trim thread.
Continue main until complete.
This is for a very simple narrow trim wrap.

Good luck

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 01, 2013 12:03AM

G'day Chris

Dont give up so easily the metallic trims are not that hard to do just a bit of practise.You have been given plenty of good advice already
not much i can add.2 or 3 turns of gold metallic on a wrap look great and its quite simple and very effective.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 02:30AM

Hi. What you might want to consider: more wraps on the fatter butt section, reducing as you approach the tip. If this is in the various linked tutorials, kewl. If not, it's a nice cosmetic touch. 6 wraps on the fat butt looks as wide as 4 wraps or less near the very tip. 6 wraps up top looks much wider up there than the 6 wraps down at the butt.
Cheers, KD.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 12:50PM

Not sure if this was mentioned but I find blanks with a glossy finish a little tougher to work with than naked graphite. Threads tend to slip easier on glossy blanks.

I keep my fingers clean and keep finger pressure on the thread until I know it is locked in place. I also wrap pretty tight. Following your wrapping thread with a packing tool will also help keep threads locked in place.

Just keep wrapping. It will come to you.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 02:26PM

Great advise has been noted here for you, I also found metallics to be more challenging, I have rectified my greif by cutting the pull end shorter so that I'm not pulling so much though the trim. <- my 2cents

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: August 01, 2013 03:01PM

I myself would use the nail knot method for making a trim band.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 03:30PM

On glossy blanks where the thread slips Try to wet the thread with your finger It helps it to stick

Got that from Bamboo builders

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2013 03:48PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2013 07:47PM

If you are having a problem starting your thread wraps, place a piece of painters tape or automotive pin stripe tape however far from the end of the guide foot that you want to start your guide wrap. Start your wrap over the tape, just one turn, and continue to wrap two or three turns on the blank, Then pick up your tag end and while rotating the blank peel the thread off the tape, all you are doing is rotating the blank like you would normally, but holding the tag end while doing so will move the first start of the thread off of the tape. Now peel off the tape. With this method you will always have the exact length of wrap in front of the guide wrap that you want. I use a ruler to place the tape. try it, you will like it. I usually graduate the length in front of the guide shorter and shorter as I get towards the tip of the guide. Say I started at 3/8's inch to begin with, when I get to the last guide on the tip section, I will start 1/8" from the tip of the foot of the guide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2013 08:48PM by Randolph Ruwe.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: August 02, 2013 08:00AM

Nice tip Randy. I'll have to try that. Most of us are used to the days when we could scribe a mark on the blank.

As far as the original question.....there are many ways to go about it. It all depends on where the trim band is....the beginning, the middle, or the end of the wrap. It also depends on how wide the trim band is. Metallic threads are tailor made for trim bands. Some are not as nice to work with as others so try a few brands.

Practice is the key. Get a nice fat piece of scrap blank and some black and some red D thread. Start your wrap as normal. For now, tape the tag end to the blank after you cross over it the first time. Make about five wraps and cut the tag end that you taped down. Make another five turns and put in a pull through loop. Go over that loop with five more turns of the black and then pull your black and the new red thread through. Put a loop in after the first turn on the red, go five turns, and pull through the red and a new black. Wrap that black 15 turns, remembering to put your pull through loop in at leaset five turns from the end.

Now try the same exact thing. This time, instead of pulling the red in with the loop, I want you to take a foot of it and just stick it under the black thread as you are wrapping (say after 7-8 turns of the black). If you are good you can hide it completely. If not, just leave it long and cross the black thread over it. Tape the end of it to the blank. When you are done wrapping the black trim it close and gently pull on the taped down end to hide it under the black. At first you are going to yank it all the way out but soon you will get the hang of it. Continue wrapping the black as normal and remember to put in your pull loop. You are doonig fifteen turns of the black. After you finish that make One turn of the red and put in your pull loop, go four more turns and pull the red through. Then start a new wrap with your black and go 15 turns.

Put finish on both. Compare the ease, and looks, of one to the other.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2013 01:17PM

trim bands with metallic thread are no more difficult than any other thread. Read the post on trim bands made simple. Posted last night.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 03, 2013 08:16AM

I have problems with ProWrap metallics on trim wraps. Gudebrod is /was far superior. ProWrap seems to be too slick and doesn't grip itself like Gudebrod does.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster