I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heavy trolling rods?
Posted by: Tom Jenson (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 09:13PM

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of picking out components for a few heavy saltwater trolling rods. 50w reels - straight butts and 80w.s with regular curved butts. All will be used in a chair and used trolling for marlin / tuna.

I was thinking American tackle butts. I wanted to go with stuart butts but can't find them in all black. regular curved #4 and regular straight #2,s, and stuart med. rollers for the 80's and the stuart regular rollers for the 50's. Sound right so far? All rollers on the 50's per request. I was thinking calstar graphiter blanks. What length blank do I order? Can I cut the blank to get the desired length? I would rather not cut the blank but will if that's what needs to be done. What is a good over all length for the bent butts? Is that measured from the gimbal straight to the tip?

Thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heavy trolling rods?
Posted by: Mark Fisher (166.64.1.---)
Date: July 30, 2013 09:45PM

Mate have a look at the Calstar Baby Boomer series. These can be left original or cut down. They are 5'6" but with the Uni-butts can be cut down to any length you want (42" is recommended with the Unibutt). It depends a lot on the action you are after whether you cut just from the butt or a combination of some from the butt and some from the tip. I can't comment on this because everyone has differing fishing styles and needs. A lot depends on the build and strength of the person the rod is being built for.

Hope this helps

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 10:03PM

As with many questions...not enough information.

My most pressing question is, "what kind of boat?"

Moving on, I personally would not want a Boomer series for a chair rod. The length is fine, but the butt would have to be cut...and that will shorten the rod...not necessarily what you want on a chair rod. The other thing is the fast action of the Boomers...they are stand up rods and too fast for true chair angling.

So...what type of boat? In outboard boats, distance to engine cowlings is important. In inboard boats, distance to the corners is what you want.

Date: July 30, 2013 10:12PM

54' Hatteras w/ 17' beam. New fighting chair is being installed so not sure of the exact measurement to corners yet.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 10:16PM

I have two Lamiglas RT-80 glass blanks if you are interested, and Aftco roller guides in both gold and silver.Send me an a-mail if interested. rjruwe2@comcast.net

Date: July 30, 2013 10:49PM

Def. will need all the length you can get...no shorty blanks.

Although an offset stantion brings you further back...if they have one.

Posted by: Mark Fisher (101.103.17.---)
Date: July 30, 2013 10:59PM

Sorry, Jay and well picked up. I didn't see the "used in a chair". I was talking about stand up only. My apologies.

Date: July 30, 2013 11:13PM

GF755H for the 50's? That should finish out to about 83" with a regular straight American Tackle butt and plus some for the top????

GF755XH for the 80's? Should be longer but not sure how they measure a curved butt. American Tackle says the #4 regular curved butt is 27.8"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2013 11:15PM by Tom Jenson.

Posted by: Greg Cudnik (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2013 11:43PM

I'd go with Calstar RT50 and RT80 blanks, the 6.5' versions and trim if need be. Winthrop rollers would ice the cake!

Date: July 31, 2013 01:11AM

Greg Cudnik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd go with Calstar RT50 and RT80 blanks, the 6.5'
> versions and trim if need be. Winthrop rollers
> would ice the cake!

That was one of my 1st choices but I didn't think the RT50 would fit in a # 2 butt or the RT80 would fit in a #4

Date: July 31, 2013 01:11AM

Greg Cudnik Wrote:
> would ice the cake!

That was one of my 1st choices but I didn't think the RT50 would fit in a # 2 butt or the RT80 would fit in a #4

Date: July 31, 2013 01:12AM

Greg Cudnik Wrote:
> would ice the cake!

Greg Cudnik Wrote:
> would ice the cake!

Greg Cudnik Wrote:
> would ice the cake!

Date: July 31, 2013 01:16AM

They'll fit the corresponding butts...they are made for the task.

I'd go with the RT blanks as well for the application you're building for.

Date: July 31, 2013 08:01AM

Wow! 5 duplicate posts. oops.

Thanks guys. I cant find a 6.5' RT80 anywhere, just the 5.5". Anyone know where to get one?

What about guides. Stuart Mediums for the 80's and the regulars for the 50's sound good? The Windthrop tools are out of the question.

Date: July 31, 2013 02:10PM

I can't really offer help on the Stuart guides. I have always used AFTCO...and for chair rods I'd go with big foot or the wind-on guides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2013 02:18PM by Jay Lancaster.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster