I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First guide on telescopic rod
Posted by: Hal Lambert (---.flo.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 22, 2013 11:28AM

While I don't do many, I have had the same issue with all telescopic Rods I have made. The first guide from the reel seat is always too close to the butt of the rod so that, if not corrected, when the rod collapses it slides into the butt section and eventually damages the wrap/finish on the guide. I have used many things to prevent this (Eva foam has worked the best) and was wondering what others have used successfully. I thought about turning a foam core to fit but not sure if it is the best option.

Also moving the guide is not a real good option as it would need to be moved at least 6"... A little too far in my opinion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First guide on telescopic rod
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2013 01:58PM

Hal,
the best solution I have found for this issue is to glue a piece of rod blank or wooden dowel into the butt of the handle tube that will keep the blade (tip) from dropping all the way down. In this case I would suspect a 6" piece should be enough to solve your problem.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2013 02:47PM

How long is the butt section and also the tip or blade section. I have never had a problem by making the rod so the stripping guide sits about 1/2" above the butt.

Date: July 22, 2013 03:17PM

Most flippin sticks have 26-30" tubes which sometimes puts that stripping guide out quite a ways.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: July 22, 2013 05:14PM

Todd,
Thanks for the suggestion. I will see which works best.

Date: July 22, 2013 06:27PM

Why that Long? I have made a number of flipping sticks with telescoping butts and the longest butt was 22". These rods were 7 1/12' to 8 1/2' in length. How long is this rod? I am making a 10' 8" mooching rod right now and including forgrip, reel seat,and butt grip it iis only 24" overall. I have never seen a flippin' stick that had a 30" butt. The big question is why that long?

Date: July 22, 2013 08:02PM

8'. MHX966T. The butt section is 22" long but unless the first guide is located at least 30" from the real seat then something has to be used.

Date: July 22, 2013 08:11PM

Hal, if the butt section is only 22" long why on earth would you have to put the first guide 30" from the reel seat? Isn't the reel seat located on the butt with the foregrip in front of it? The but should be made of the rear grip, reel seat, and foregrip. Therefore the tip/blade will only collapse 22" into the butt. I don't know where you are coming up with your measurements?

Date: July 22, 2013 08:49PM

From front of real seat to end of the front of butt section is about 10". If the rod collapses 22" then that is 32" (butt section and blade extended) that is "lost" when the rod collapses.

Date: July 22, 2013 09:16PM

Hal, you only have to put the first guide 1 inch in front of where the butt section ends!!You don't have to have the guide slam into the butt when collapsed.

Date: July 22, 2013 10:04PM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hal, you only have to put the first guide 1 inch
> in front of where the butt section ends!!You don't
> have to have the guide slam into the butt when
> collapsed.
If I put the guide 1 inch from where the butt section ends when collapsed, then when extended, the guide will be 32" from the front reel seat, which with my testing is too far.

I know how to set up guides on rods...been doing it for over 15 years. I was just looking for options for inserts to keep the guide contacting the butt section of the rod.

Date: July 22, 2013 10:13PM

Cut off 6"'s of the butt then.

Date: July 23, 2013 09:59AM

Hal,
I know exactly what you are dealing with and if you put the extension in that will solve your problem.
Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 23, 2013 04:42PM

Hal
If you put the 6" extension in the butt like Todd says it will make the collapsed rod 6" longer. Therefore, you can have your butt guide 6" closer to the reel. It will still fit in any rod locker when collapsed.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: July 23, 2013 08:42PM

I have done this before but with an Eva plug instead. I was just looking for other options and I did get them. Thanks.

I will try the scrap blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster