I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Location for 8'6" Salmon Rod
Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2013 02:39PM

Hi All, first Salmon Rod build and I have my guide spacing, just wondering what you think best location for Reel Seat should be? Standard Spinning setup, not a SG and grips are custom EVA, thanks!

Scott

"My biggest fear in life is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Location for 8'6" Salmon Rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: July 10, 2013 03:27PM

11 to 12 inches seems to work best for most people.

Date: July 10, 2013 04:06PM

thank you very much, havent done much salmon fishing so figured I would ask, thanks again!

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2013 04:25PM

I have built at least 500 salmon rods over the years and here in the Pacific Northwet! most people hold the rod so that the butt grip is supported under the forearm. I have seen pictures and videos of people in the mid-west and atlantic states tucking the butt under their armpit. Here, I always measure the persons forearm from their grip on the blank to the end of the butt. For most adult males it is anywhere from 12 1/2" to 15" for the forearm supported rod.

Date: July 10, 2013 04:28PM

outstanding info, thanks very much. Think I am going with 13 1/2 or so. Thanks again everyone!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: July 10, 2013 08:01PM

You can of course do what you want, but there is a reason St Croix, Lamiglas, Loomis, etc. use shorter grips, longer ones get in the way. Casting rods are held palming the reel or the hand is gripping the rod behind the reel. Spinning rods are held with the hand around the reel stem with the hand much closer to the fore end of the reelseat and the foregrip. That's why the rear grip lengths under the arm will be similar, your working from different ends/parts of the reel seat.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2013 08:59AM

For salmon and steelhead spinning rods, it's ideal if you can get the end of the rear grip to land just in front of the elbow when held in the normal fishing position. This is usually means a rear grip around 12" to 13" for most folks. It's a problem if the grip is too long and always seems to hang up in your shirt or coat when casting and retrieving so watch your length on the grip.

Terry

Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.uscg.mil)
Date: July 11, 2013 10:16AM

Great info, thanks guys much appreciated!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2013 03:08PM

It depends.
A lot of folks when they fish long rods and or fight big fish, LIKE to have the rear grip tucked up under their arm.

If so, then a longer grip is called for.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: July 12, 2013 05:35PM

13.5" rear grip for the Mudhole 8'6" salmon spinning rod I built last year.
It needs to be short enough to switch from right to left while applying pressure to a large fish without catching on your jacket, and long enough to give you leverage for distance casts and fighting large fish.

Date: July 12, 2013 06:28PM

great info, thanks guys much appreciated!

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 18, 2013 12:16AM

My friends and I prefer 14" I don't think you can make a blanket statement like too long or too short in the end it's the users choice,I personally don't have a problem with a "longer" handle hanging up on anything and never have a need to switch hands for any reason

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster