I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP Comparison
Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2013 03:12PM

I just uploaded a photo of a little comparison test I did with Color Preservers. I wrapped three sections of Gudebrod nylon thread on my test wrap rod. The wrap on the left had two coats of Cason's Crystal Clear. The one in the middle had two coats of Flex Coat, and the one on the right had no CP. One coat of ProKote finish after that. For my application the Flex did the best job at maintaining the thread color. The one with no CP became nearly transparent and the Cason's was somewhere in between.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP Comparison
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: July 10, 2013 03:23PM

My tests showed similar results.
You need to leave that test wrap outside for a year to see all the effects of sun, weather, cold,rain,freezing etc.
Pull it apart after a year and look what went on.
Some CP's when i got to unwrap after a year to see what happened show how they stopped the epoxy getting to the blank or thread and just made it sort of float above everything.
If i have to use CP its a slightly thinned down bottle of the old flexcoat that looks like elmers which works best for my techniques.
Not just looks after epoxy, but actual UV protection too.
Look to compare upper to lower thread colors on same wrap to see UV effects.
What works for you may differ as my application technique may be affecting results..

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2013 04:32PM

If the CP doesn't stop the epoxy from reaching the thread, the thread will turn transparent. When you see "blotchy" wraps these are most usually do to one of two things - loosely packed wraps or CP not being applied evenly which allows the epoxy to reach the thread in spots.

Date: July 11, 2013 03:30PM

Good thoughts, Tom. These were pretty tight wraps. I'm thinking that if I had used more coats of the Cason's, it might have turned out better.

Steve Hartzell

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2013 03:52PM

Light thread over a dark blank is always a tough trick. That light blue is one of the tougher threads to work with in that regard.

Date: July 11, 2013 04:37PM

Agreed on the light blue thread, but it sure looked good as a trim band next to metallic blue. I'll post a couple of pics this weekend when the rod is finished. I'm glad I did the test though.

Steve Hartzell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2013 04:38PM by Steve Hartzell.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2013 05:47PM

Steve,
Your test verifies exactly why I never use CP - unless it is requested.

I generally choose a thread color that is a perfect match for the blank.

Then, when coated with finish, the thread essentially disappears and you simply have the guides nicely attached to the blank without any sort of garish wraps staring you in the face.

But that is the wonderful thing about the free market.

Everyone has choices and with a Custom rod, the client always has the final say for his/her choice on rod, thread wraps etc.

Be safe

Date: July 11, 2013 06:02PM

Roger,

I'm a hobby builder and primarily build fro myself, family, and now a few friends. I like to look down that rod and see the guide wraps. The rod I'm working on right now has a metallic blue guide wrap trimmed with the light blue nylon. It's a split grip with a Tiger wrap between the butt and the rear grip. More Tiger in front of the reel seat. To my eye it looks great and it is a great color combo for the blank. I'm building four of them, all in different colors but the same format.

I understand why some prefer a black thread on a black or dark gray blank because it merges into the color of the blank and basically disappears. It is a clean look but I prefer something that stands out a little more. That's the good thing about this obsession, we've all got different ways of doing it and none of them are right and none of them are wrong. Thanks for the comment.

Steve Hartzell

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2013 06:04PM by Steve Hartzell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster