I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex coat lite - having trouble
Posted by: Chris Scurfield (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 27, 2013 03:19AM

Hi All,

Been a while since i've been on here, doing a couple new builds at the moment(hobby builder). Had been using flex coat - high build in the past and really liked it. recently i've tried the flex coat lite and have had a few troubles. its stayed tacky for a few weeks and even afterwards didnt totally harden up as much as you would expect. The last couple times(bit cold at the moment here) it's stayed quiet soft and has developed what i can best describe as looking like water droplets sitting on top after a couple days. finish ends up looking kinda like it has some milky clear residue on it but doesnt clean off. only black threads with metalic trims so no cp.

Not writing the stuff off just wondering if anyone can help me work out whats going wrong? i havent expierenced these issues in the past with other epoxies and not much has changed with materials, conditions etc.

Cheers,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex coat lite - having trouble
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2013 09:27AM

Make very sure you're mixing equal portions of the epoxy. This means using syringes and using at least 3ccs of each component. Make sure you are mixing it completely, which generally takes about 3 to 4 minutes of slow stirring.

If you're sure you adhered to the above, then you can look elsewhere. The lite version should cure just as hard as the high build version. Humidity will not affect the set or cure of an epoxy, although with the right combination of CO2 it can result in amine blush which will create an oily, blushy appearance on the surface of the epoxy. Usually a bit of warmth and some manual wiping will take care of things however.

While the oft claimed "contamination" blame all is usually not the case, it could be in your instance. But try to eliminate all other possibilities first.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2013 09:54AM

Chris,
As Mr. Kirkman has suggested - I am guessing that you are not mixing the material enough.

I mix for at least 120 seconds - by the clock - mixing slowly - using a craft stick, scraping off the stick from time to time to insure that all part of the finish - including the finish on the stick have been well mixed.

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-207.myvzw.com)
Date: June 27, 2013 10:17AM

This sounds like your finish is under mixed. A tacky finish is indicative of improper or insufficient mixing. Basically, mix it longer and more thoroughly. Scrape the walls of the cup and bottom but avoid introducing bubbles. The finish will appear marbled, then cloudy, then marbled again, and then clear, mix it until it is crystal clear.

There is a big difference between finish mixed 99% and finish mixed 100%.

Once properly mixed you can pour it out on a paper plate covered in aluminum foil. This will extend the pot life and help get rid of bubbles.

Click the link below to watch our short video on mixing Flex Coat

[www.flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 27, 2013 02:46PM

just remember you are mixing it not beating it when you beat it you get a lot of bubbles in the mix

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 27, 2013 03:06PM

I forgot that scraping the sides is very important when you mix small amounts as you loose some on the sides all the time , but with small amounts it can kill a good batch when small ,
as you don't have much to start with , the small amount on the side can change the ratio a lot on a small amount mix

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Chris Scurfield (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 27, 2013 10:52PM

Thanks to all for the replies, much appreciated.

I do scrap the sides, measure accurately and does look clear when finished mixing. Though it's sounds like as william said i am 'beating' more than mixing(get alot of bubbles in it). i will try and be a bit more gentle and give it a little more time.

Hopefully this solves my issues, thanks again!

Posted by: Garry Thornton (24.114.91.---)
Date: June 28, 2013 09:30AM

A couple of years ago I had some trouble with light finish staying tacky...I was in the desert, which can be a very dusty climate.
I believe I caused my problems by wiping down the rod with alcohol before applying the finish.
That had seemed like a good idea, but when I stopped doing it, the finish dried just fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster