I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

some salvage help if possible :(
Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 11:36AM

so i just built my flats rods 2 weeks ago on a rainshadow hs9000 blank and it was pretty nice! then my brother and his friend took it with them fishing and it came back with 4 cracks (long ways) right above the foregrip....looks like they either stepped on it or threw the trolling motor battery on it or something the excuse i got was i dont know what happened

so the blank im guessing is unable to be salvaged but i have got the guides off and now im wondering if there was a way i could remove the foregrip, reelseat and rear grip to be used on my new blank (same blank)? i used rod bond to attach them all and i used tape arbors for the reel seat...if anyone has any ideas how i can get these off without destroying them please let me know

any help is greatly appreciated as always..thanks

edit: sorry i forgot to say the rear and foregrips are cork

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 12:20PM by jon edwards.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: some salvage help if possible :(
Posted by: Sandy Harris (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: May 27, 2013 12:38PM

Grips are likely history if they are EVA......if the reel seat is metal you might be able to apply heat and get the epoxy to loosen....not sure if you can successfully remove a synthetic material seat without melting it.....I'd use a heat gun and not a torch......at this point if it's trashed, nothing ventured, nothing gained......

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 12:54PM

Only the reel seat may be salvageable.Heat should soften the epoxy enough to allow you to get it off. Either a heat gun or boiling it in water can work. The cork is history!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 01:15PM

Jon,
If you have the guides off the rod, fix the rod.

Since you said that you have 4 long cracks that run length wise along the blank, the blank was simply crushed.

So clean up the blank and remove any butt wraps, or guides and the tip.

Then, find a piece of blank section that fits perfectly over the blank and snugs up tightly to the fore grip on the rod. Use as much blank as needed to fully cover the cracks plus about 2 inches.

When you get the perfect matching piece, smooth down the leading edge of the repair blank a bit, and then glue it over the top of the blank.

Tie the guides back on the rod and go fishing.

Sure the blank will be stiffer in the butt section, but there is little flex in that portion of the blank anyway so it really will do nothing to hurt the sensitivity or fish catching ability of the blank.

This way, you will still have an excellent rod, and will be able to save everything on your current rod, including the grips and reel seat.

To find a section of blank go to a rod shop and pick up some broken or cut off blank sections, or go to the good will or salvation army to find a rod that you can chop up to get the necessary blank.

Good luck
Roger

p.s.
I have done this for a couple of rods that were broken in that fashion by a customer. The fix was a good long term fix and was able to salvage an excellent group of rods.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 01:45PM

time for A new blank see what type of warrinty there is

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 02:02PM

There is no warranty if the blank was crushed.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 02:25PM

guess ill try to fix it like roger said and see if that works out cant hurt lol...if that doesnt work out then guess ill try to salvage the seat and guides and maybe use the unbroken part to make a reamer or something....thanks very very much guys!

i couldnt warranty it because it was crushed by battery or foot or something and i cant live with trying to warranty it for my own mistake..will be a lesson learned thats all and guess this could give me a change to see how it is to repair instead of throwing away :D

Posted by: George Kerr (---.lightspeed.gnbonc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 05:08AM

You should contact Batson to see what they might work out with you for a new butt section.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 08:28AM

i would take the foregrip off and put the new section up to the seat New foregrip over that
Prep inside the new section and the blank for bond

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.216.---)
Date: May 28, 2013 09:33AM

I believe Roger's suggestion will work fine, and since it's pretty easy, and there is nothing to lose except a little time (you can always do the "save the reel seat and guides-only thing later if this doesn't work) it's worth a try.

By the way, early in my building career I built a St Croix SCV for my son, and screwed up the alignment of the guides with the reel seat. I foolishly tried to bend the guides, they were Fuji titaniums, so very tough guides, and in the process I crushed the blank under the first spinning guide. It had longitudinal cracks like you describe. I carefully put on a layer of fiberglass cloth over the cracks, then retied the straightened guide, and it is very hard to detect there was ever anything wrong. The rod's action appears unchanged, and it has survived for about 3 years of heavy use. This is not disimilar to what Roger is suggesting, less robust if anything.

Then: never loan a rod, or reel, or chain saw, or firearm. Especially to a brother who evidently offerred nothing after breaking your rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 09:46AM

I am just thinking IF the cracks go under the foregrip ??
This way the seat covers the blank and the new sleeve

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 09:47AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 12:45PM

I built a Rainshadow RX 8 822.5 drop shot rod for my bass club secretary for all he'd done over the years for the club.

Not long after giving him the rod, he stepped on it while it was laying on the deck of his boat. He loved the rod so much, he called me and asked me what kind of warranty there was for boo boo's. I told him they don't warrantee "boo boo's" and "brain fades"!

I sent an e-mail to Batson Enterprises Warranty Department explaining how the rod was broken. They could not have been more accommodating. They thanked me for my honesty and sold me a new blank at their costs. Outstanding Customer Service!

In view of all my past experience with Batson Enterprises, you might contact them and explain the circumstances. Perhaps you will be as pleasantly surprised as I was!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 01:53PM

If you suspect the cracks continue under the cork, why not insert a section of blank from the butt end up to the front end of where the cracks stop.?
That way the entire area is braced internally.
You may still want to add an external section to reinforce.
Or, you might try making a long wrap to cover the entire "cracked" area to reinforce the internal brace.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster