I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spin rod Guide Spacing
Posted by: James Rice (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2013 11:10PM

I met an old gent that has me doing guide spacing by placing the blank in pvc at a 45 degree angle.
Attaching the guides with thick tube rubber.
running line up the guides and attaching to a 2 pound weight.
reel down and adjust guides to follow arc of the blank.

It has worked really well, but I seem to use a lot of guides. Say up to 9 for a 7.5 blank

See any problems with this method?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spin rod Guide Spacing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2013 07:45AM

Not necessarily, but remember that the flex in a blank changes as you put more or less pressure on it. What looks like good placement under some amount of load, may not look so good under more. But it's certainly the way many folks have done it over the years and most are pleased with their results.

Here's roughly the same method with a bit more thought behind it.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 10:32AM

James, I'd change one thing and attach the weight to the tip top only. I'd use something that is easy to add weight too, like a bucket with water or a zip lock with pennies. Attach the reel as nornal and string the line through the guides. Only a small split shot is needed on that line.

The idea is to place the guides to follow the natural bend of the rod. To make an extreme example out of doing it your way.....say we put the tip on and only one guide down next to the reel. If we put a good amount of weight on the line the rod would want to bend so the tip touched that guide near the reel. That isn't a "natural" curve for the blank as it wouldn't bend that way if loaded at the tip only.

I might reduce that angle down some...like 30 degrees too. Nine guides sounds right for a 7.5 foot rod.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 28, 2013 12:20PM

James,

Also don't overlook some of the theories like the New Guide Concept or KR concept for shorter reduction trains that have a distinct "choke point" and statically placed running guides. Guide layouts like this can increase casting distance, overall balance, and sensitivity.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: James Rice (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 07:55PM

Thanks all. I have lots of questions, but will hold off. I have been building for about 1.5 yrs and basically it's been trial and error....Making some nice stuff now and loving it....I'm sure it can get better.

Tight Lines !!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster