I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

8 wt guides
Posted by: Cameron Cholewa (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2013 08:14PM

Building a 9' 8wt fly rod, pretty fast action. Question: single-foot or double-foot guides? Uses mostly for large pike, tiger muskie, and large mouth. maybe big browns

thanks,
Cam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8 wt guides
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 02, 2013 08:20PM

Everyone will have a different opinion on that...... I prefer the single foot wire guides on all my personal fly builds. I don't like the idea of the foot toward the tip digging into the blank when it is flexed.... It would be like putting casting guides on a spinning rod.....My humble two cents.

Date: May 02, 2013 08:48PM

Hm... I get your idea, what about a compromise? Doubles on the lower end, singles on the upper & tip? I don't know, just thinking. How's that sound? Unnecessary?

Thanks for your input,
Cam

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 02, 2013 09:09PM

Typically on a nine foot I run two double foot stripping guides and single foot wire guides to the tip... Also the weight savings on the single foot is half since the amount of thread and finish is half.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 09:17PM by Don Morse.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 02, 2013 09:14PM

I like double foot on eight weight or more. If you're concerned about weight; Recoil heavy duty snakes guides. But I would use single foot if only an integrated line without sink tip loop to loops will be used. I just don't like the way the connections get hung up on the single foot guides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 09:20PM by Greg Foy.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 02, 2013 11:00PM

Cam,
Up until I started building rods for a well know fly fishing celebrity - just about 9 months ago - all of my rods were built with REC s/f recoils to save weight.

This gentleman is convinced that snakes provide for better shooting. So does senior Sage designer - Jerry Siem,

I do know that snakes, size-for-size, have 15-18% more clearance due to the "side-door" effect.

So I have begun to install snakes on selective rods as an experiment.

I can't honestly that I can see any difference.

Flip a coin.
Regards,
Herb

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2013 05:21AM

minima guides. you should be able to use size 5 and maybe 4 depending on your knots. you can use double foots for the first two, but not necessary.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: May 03, 2013 10:37AM

I recently stripped the size 8 single foot wire guides from my 8wt and replaced with double footed snakes because they significantly impacted performance using loop to loop connections. Works a lot better now even though both guides have the same diameter profile when looking down the rod.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2013 01:19PM

On a rod throwing an 8 wt line, I would generally use Minima's with size 6 runners. I don't usually employ loop to loop connections in my terminal tackle, so there is usually no hanging up experienced. I've built rods on identical blanks with almost identical handles, and reel seats in which one rod has minimas, the other, snake brand snakes. The balance point on the rod with snakes is about 3/4" further towards the tip than the rod with minimas. I don't understand how these big box companies put so much effort into employing lighter weight blanks and lighter weight reel seats, only to use the same old performance robbing pieces of twisted wire that only add unnecessary weight in the tip of the rod. I have never found that rods with snakes guides "shoot" any better than rods with single foot guides. The only place where I've experienced a performance improvement of snakes over single foots is in extremely cold weather ice-up conditions, and even then it's only a marginal gain in performance.

Date: May 03, 2013 05:34PM

Thanks to all for the input.

I'll probably use doubles on like the first two and singles as the rest of the runners. I really don't see the point of doubles, and I couldn't imagine it would really cause any significant performance change other than weight reduction, but whatever. Also, for those that asked or mentioned, I don't use loop/loop connections. I prefer blood knots or something else, so that's not an issue.

Cam

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2013 07:00PM

Either single foots or snakes, like Herb said, flip a coin. Really the most important thing here is to use the smallest size guide that your connections will pass thru and the least amount of changes in guide size. For example, Size 12 Stripper, followed by a size 10 of the same style as the stripper, then on to #3 Snakes all the way out. Very straight line path is the object.

I have done several 8wt's like this, using both single foots and snakes, I don't see a difference in the two.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.wrbg.mo.charter.com)
Date: May 03, 2013 07:10PM

Cam,
I generally use snakes for the lower and mid rod areas and switch to single foot for the tip.
For an 8 weight I use a #2 single foot light wire titanium at the tip.
The guides transition in size as I approach the butt end of the rod.
Stiffer section stronger and larger guide.
Some say you can't tell the difference, but my customers say otherwise and expect it on my builds.

Date: May 03, 2013 08:21PM

Went with 16, 12 fuji feet for strippers then Snake Brand snake guides 6,5,5,4,4,3,3,3,3 + tip. I wanted to try snake brand. Heard a lot about them. Now to do cork or eva foam handle. The guides are black nickel and my thread will be trimmed lightly with gold so I think the eva would look better.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 03, 2013 10:17PM

You don't need all those different sizes. The line doesn't need nor want them. The line path will actually be straighter and the rod lighter, if you kick out all those unnecessary sizes.

Throw out the 6's, 5's and 4's and just go right on to the 3's all the way out. You'll have a better rod.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 04, 2013 10:13AM

I would go minamas single foot One foot one thread wrap less weight

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster