I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

leveling finish before finish wrap
Posted by: Bill Hartlage (---.sip.sdf.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 02, 2013 08:30PM

I notice a few "high spots on my wraps especially on butt wrap and one of the stripping guides. can I carefully use a razor blade to trim these down before the 2nd coat .apparently dust or maybe unnoticed thread tags that I failed to notice when burning frizzies

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: leveling finish before finish wrap
Posted by: Cameron Cholewa (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2013 08:50PM

Maybe carefully grind it down with a small file and then flame it to try and smooth it out again? Shouldn't be a problem as there will be another layer over it, right?

Cam

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 02, 2013 09:15PM

Hi Bill,
Your method with a new sharp blade to carefully make a shallow depression then rec-coat is the accepted method for fixing small 'lumps" in finish. You will improve with practice. My first attempt came out really well and I have improved on that. Just take care and you will get a good result.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-255-162.myvzw.com)
Date: May 02, 2013 09:43PM

Bill,

Scalpels work great for this, among numerous other tasks. Sharp, sharp blade, with a handle!

Chris

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2013 11:32PM

Yep...slice it off flush and recoat. You'll never know the difference.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 03, 2013 08:29AM

I've found using a small fine file works well and it is a little safer to use than a razor blade.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 03, 2013 10:23AM

I use a new single-edge to trim bumps and spikes. Use good light and a magnifier.

Posted by: Steve Wright (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2013 11:19AM

Since I have much less experience than most on the board take this into consideration. For a bump, tag end or an uneven spot I use 1500 or 600 wet dry sand paper. I cut it in narrow strips (the width of the wrap or less). The finish needs to be dry and firm. I also put a wrap of masking or painters tape next to the wrap so I do not damage the blank. I have tried the razor blade and did not like it? I was told you can fray the thread doing this, but I have not had this problem. I do monitor and make sure that I do not go deep and get thru the finish and into the thread wraps. Lastly I will scuff the rest of the wrap as well, partly because I let the blank dry a few days before using sandpaper and want to make sure the finish will adhere. Just something that has worked for me.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (206.74.253.---)
Date: May 03, 2013 12:53PM

I can understand other's fears of using a razor blade to slice off anomolies, but remember you are only slicing parallel to the blank. Unless you go all Slingblade or Hannibal Lecter on it there should be zero danger in using this method.

Sandpaper will also work fine if that is more within your comfort zone. I just do not like waiting a few days to sand something for a few minutes when I can wait less than half a day and slice it off in five seconds.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: May 03, 2013 01:36PM

Jay Lancaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can understand other's fears of using a razor
> blade to slice off anomolies, but remember you are
> only slicing parallel to the blank. Unless you go
> all Slingblade or Hannibal Lecter on it there
> should be zero danger in using this method.
>
> Sandpaper will also work fine if that is more
> within your comfort zone. I just do not like
> waiting a few days to sand something for a few
> minutes when I can wait less than half a day and
> slice it off in five seconds.

Jay nailed it. You can't sand soft finish.

For what it's worth - I was several inches into an underwrap for a waterslide when I encountered about 6" of very fuzzy thread. I went ahead and finished the wrap. That short section looked like a sea urchin under a magnifier. The next morning I trimmed off about 50 little spikes and added another coat of finish. You couldn't see the difference in the wrap. I use blue painters tape to dab away the trimmings.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2013 05:34PM

Just make sure the blade is clean. A lot of single edge blades are oiled to prevent rust. Clean it wait alcohol first.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster