I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Finish not drying
Posted by: KYLE DORSETT (---.152.191.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 27, 2013 10:29PM

I have a rod that has not dyed and i put the finish on 5 days ago. Im sure i mixed the epoy wrrong but what can i do to fix it. The finish still has a tacky feel to it. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Finish not drying
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2013 10:38PM

If it's just tacky, apply another application of properly mixed epoxy and it'll take care of things. If the finish is really, really soft, wipe it off and then apply another correctly mixed application.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 01:18AM

In the future (as long as you have a proper ambient temperature in which to cure an epoxy) if the finish hasn't set within 6-8 hours, try wiping it off and starting over. Don't throw away your epoxy mixing vessel so that you may check how hard and/or tacky it is over time. It should kick pretty quickly and set within hours. If it does, you should have no issues with it getting tack free over the next few hours.

The easiest way I know to measure is with syringes. Mix thoroughly...when you think it's enough, mix at least another minute.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 08:05AM

The syringes w/ the stopper caps that insert into the top of a finish bottle have been a great help for me in mixing equal parts of finish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 08:16AM

Kyle,
The most common problem for finish not to dry after not mixing it with the correct ratio, is not mixing it enough.

As has said many times before - mix slowly and completely for at least 120 seconds, as viewed on a clock. i.e. mix for a minimum of 2 minutes. If using a stirring stick, frequently wipe off the stick and sides of the container to be sure that every element of both part A and part B is completely mixed.

--
If after 5 days, the finish is still tacky - strip the rod, start over and mix again.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: April 28, 2013 06:50PM

You also need to put it in a warm place one the epoxy sets up after a day. I had it where after a day it was still tacky. I put it in a warm room and in a few hours it was good to go. Mix up a new batch and reapply a thin coat. Then after a few days put it where its warm for a day and you should be good to go

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2013 03:30PM

Kevin,
I appreciate and understand your words.
However, I personally don't like to put any finish over finish that is not hard and tack free.

I make the analogy that this is much like building your home on a sand pile.
A sand pile does not make a good foundation for a home.

I tend to think that if a person puts a finish that cures well over a tacky or soft finish, you have just encapsulated the soft and or tacky finish that will likely end up causing problems down stream.

But, to each his / her own.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 29, 2013 11:11PM

Kyle,
I agree with Roger.

You say it is rod finish. if it I finish applied on the blank - then wipe off with a solvent.
If it is thread finish that is not curing - you will have to remove all wraps and do it over.

The bad finish has impregnated the threads and is in the tunnels, around and under the guide feet. No amount of flushing with solvent will remove this epoxy. The guides will be unstable with all that uncured epoxy.

Sorry - but you have to rip it out and do it over.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster