I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod blank for a 3.5 year old?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 10:31AM

Hello,

My son has shown a great interest in fly fishing and I would like to build him a rod. So far he has developed a pretty good roll cast using a Reddington form rod but we haven't done any overhand casting yet.

We would be fishing for panfish, small smallmouth and rock bass, as well as shiners and chubs - pretty well anything that will hit a indicator/nymph rig. It will be mostly short roll casts from shore.

Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable blank in the 3-4 weight, 6-7 foot range? I would like to get him a decent rod but at the same time would rather not break the bank at this point.

thanks,
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod blank for a 3.5 year old?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 11:34AM

Tom,
I built a rod for a 5yr old and got my blank from Dan Craft for $20. Is was a sweet blank - 2pc. As you get into the lower weights the difference between the expensive stuff and the other dims. I only build on CTS blanks - but for something like that I would give dan a call. He had a number of these blanks in the corner. They are not his FT blanks - but suitable. I specified a #6 but it handled a #7 line better.
Herb
Distrib. For CTS Fly Blanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 11:34AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Steve Wright (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 02:24PM

May or may not be what you are looking for but a suggestion from my experience. I bought my daughter an Echo Gecko fly rod. I can not over state how impressed I am with the rod. It is a 7'6" 4wt 3pc rod and I over lined it with a WF-5- F line. It has small lower grip so they can spey cast with it also. For a child that small that is what I would teach him. The rod just casts great period and she can feel the rod load. The grips are small for little hands and in cool bright colors. If you have not cast one check it out first, at least look it over for some ideas to build a rod. Then when he is bigger and can appreciate having a rod dad built for him build him a nice one..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 04:28PM

This kid starting this young
maybe another Loomis ??? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: April 16, 2013 04:39PM

I totally agree with Steve the Echo Geckos are great. when my boys were young I built a rod off of a tip section from a 9 1/2 2 pc fly rod I had kicking around. then later built them each a rod based on what we were going for at that time. now they each have several.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 04:51PM

If you can find a a ultra-lite to lite fiberglass spinning blank, they make great fly rods for children. They will take a bit more abuse that children seem to offer, than a graphite blank.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Date: April 16, 2013 07:10PM

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions.

I'll check on the Echo Gecko and also noticed that Hook and Hackle has a special on their 6'6", 2 weight Xi which looks like a pretty good deal.

Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 09:00PM

H&H has some nice blanks but a 2wt. might be to difficult for him to feel it load. What ever blank you decide on,unless you know the CCS, it would be a good idea to go with a higher weight line. JMTC.

Posted by: Abram Harrison (---.dsl.teksavvy.com)
Date: April 17, 2013 07:16PM

Try one of Batson's SPG blanks. I built the SPG 601 (5 ft 1 pc)and 720 (6 fot, 2pc) into fly rods this winter. I've only fished the 720 so far, and only a little bit, but it seems to make a good 4wt. I probably had $40-50 in each build, no more. My 5yo son was getting interested in fly casting watching me with the 720 at the creek. Now when he pretends to fish he always false casts a few times. :)

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 18, 2013 02:24PM

Tom, I have made a number of rods for children, although none as young as 3 1/2 yrs. I would recommend a practice rod first made with a light tip section with a piece of brightly colored yarn attached so he can get used to casting. He will be able to see the loop form much better and have fun with it at the same time. Then I would make a rod of 6 - 7' in a 5 wt so that he can feel the rod load. Video tape his casting sessions so he can see what he is doing right and what doesn't work so well. I would put a 3" fighting butt on the rod because he might wish to use two hands on the rod. Kids that age will have difficulty in one hand casting. Hope this helps. Randy

Date: April 18, 2013 02:24PM

Tom, I have made a number of rods for children, although none as young as 3 1/2 yrs. I would recommend a practice rod first made with a light tip section with a piece of brightly colored yarn attached so he can get used to casting. He will be able to see the loop form much better and have fun with it at the same time. Then I would make a rod of 6 - 7' in a 5 wt so that he can feel the rod load. Video tape his casting sessions so he can see what he is doing right and what doesn't work so well. I would put a 3" fighting butt on the rod because he might wish to use two hands on the rod. Kids that age will have difficulty in one hand casting. Hope this helps. Randy

Date: April 18, 2013 02:26PM

Sorry for the double post, sometimes the Forum doesn't react very quick.
Don't know why.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: April 18, 2013 03:00PM

I would look at building it like a "mini spey rod" much easier for kids to 2-hand cast. I built my son a 5 like that.

Date: April 18, 2013 04:15PM

Eric, you are right on, that's why I said a 3' fighting butt, thinking about a switch rod I just finished for my self. Two handed is much easier for kids to master.

Date: April 19, 2013 09:34AM

Thanks for the additional input. The two handed casting rod is a very good idea and I think I'll go that route.

Thanks again.

Tom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster