I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why split grips?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 10:06AM

If you don't speak about materials cost, and if you don't talk about a weight savings -
Then, why do folks want or use split grips?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why split grips?
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 16, 2013 10:25AM

Hi,

Because it is different, looks nice, can be done in many ways, adds a personal choice and maybe the owner never had one before.

Also another option that a custom rod builder can offer the customers.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 10:26AM

That's a loaded question. For instance, if you're going to talk about holding or securing a reel, why would folks use a reel seat?

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-197.myvzw.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 10:30AM

You know, thats why we build custom rods, we can do anything we wanna do. We can do snake skin, feather inlays, acrilic grips, marbling, little beads on the butt wraps, and right now we want to build split grips ;)

And if you want more explanation click the link below for our split grip video:
[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 10:32AM

Roger,

The weight savings is directly related to a number of other properties that are beneficial to the end user. I suppose it could be summed up in increased rod efficiency, and is the driving force for me when choosing split grips in many instances. Otherwise, it can be about aesthetics. I'm currently working on a rod, a 10'6" steelhead float rod, that I wouldn't likely build for myself with a split grip, but the future owner likes the look of split grips, and I'm willing to go with it. I'll just have to be a bit more careful in front of the reel seat when it comes to weight.

Another benefit to split grips is that they can be fit better to the blank if you don't have a reamer with the perfect taper. For grips longer than 6"-7", I typically split them into smaller sections for reaming and fitting to the blank because I don't like shimming components if I don't have to. With split grips, each section can be fit snugly without a need for shims.

Oh, one more, split grips encourage proper hand placement for two-handed casting. I particularly like the flared mushroom shaped butt caps to help get the lower hand placed properly on the butt grip.

There are plenty of reason. Decreased materials cost is merely a side effect that benefits the builder when a split grip is executed with attention to detail.

Joe

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 02:52PM

I just made to Musky rods with split grips for customers. The rods are nine feet long and they wanted to know why they had to be fitted. I said they will like them better if I fit them to them for comfort. They loved the way they turned out. The rods were perfectly balanced since they were fitted.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Alex Ramirez (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 04:25PM

Well I see alot of people think Split Grips are jsut for looks but here is my .02,

I want to build a rod that is extremely sensative however I dont want a rod with a high end graphite as I kayak fish alot and Im always breaking rods. So my needs are tough but sensative. Tough enough to be banged around but sensative enough to feel every light biting crappie while jigging and those super shy biting rainbows I chase. as well as everything inbetween. It will be a IGFA record setter by this time next year. (hopefully)

So Im choosing:
A middle grade blank such as IM6 or IM7.
A split Grip
A blank exposed real seat
Single foot guides

A split grip allows for less material as well as more sensativity. Imagine a long metal rod floating in mid air. If you hit it with another metal pipe the rod will ring. Now take your hand and grip it around a seciton of the rod and hit it again. The ring will seem muffled. Now put both hands on the rod and have someone else hit it, again the sound will be even more muffled. The idea here is that the more items in contact with the rod blank and the more the blank is covered up or the more its wrapped on means a decrease in sensativity. Thus a split grip is more sensative as a full grip will muffle or dampen the vibrations you want to feel.

For now it can be argued that the loss of sensativity is nill, however what cant be argued is that sensativity is lost.

Again since Im fairly new here this is just my .02 until I have the chance to build a few and tell you for certain. ;)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.static.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 07:14PM

Alex,
Sensitivity is in the hand and feel of the holder of the rod.

However, I might speculate that many owners of full grip rods will also say that their rods are very sensitive as well.

But, it is certainly nice to hear the thoughts of others.

Finally, if a person is happy with a split grip, it makes 0 difference as to why he/she is happy with the grip ---- just so long as the user of the rod IS happy.

Roger

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2013 07:19PM

Mr. Kirkman made a comment to me several years back, in which he correctly stated :
"That a blank is at its most sensitive state when there is nothing on it, and every thing we add to it robs from that sensitivity.

The most guilty item for robbing such from the blank is the handle. especially when using softer materials (foam, halypin, cork and other stuff.) that dampen vibrations any way.

So the more of the handle that can be eliminated the more of the blank's sensitivity can be retained allowing for a more sensitive end product.

I also second John's and Joe's comments

Posted by: Alex Ramirez (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2013 02:28AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alex,
> Sensitivity is in the hand and feel of the holder
> of the rod.
>
> However, I might speculate that many owners of
> full grip rods will also say that their rods are
> very sensitive as well.
>
> But, it is certainly nice to hear the thoughts of
> others.
>
> Finally, if a person is happy with a split grip,
> it makes 0 difference as to why he/she is happy
> with the grip ---- just so long as the user of the
> rod IS happy.
>
> Roger

I agree that individuals may feel different levels of sensativity due to hand position and knowledge as well as time spent on the water but a full grip rod simply cant be as sensative as a rod that has less material, atleast in theory. I think you could argue that the difference is nill but I dont think it can be argued that sensativity is lost. The amount is the only question. I agree also that many with full grips would definitly say their rods are sensative. Not stirring the pot simply debating.

I agree it is very nice to share opinnions and to hear others information.

Tight Lines!!!

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.196.---)
Date: April 17, 2013 09:00AM

I like the feel for two-handed casting. Plus more space for decoration, like Mudhole Skinz, abalone, etc.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 17, 2013 12:20PM

Hi,

This is all about "what floats your boat". Yes, as rod designers we try to perfect our ideas and designs. But the bottom line is that the customer get to choose what he wants/likes. It is his money we hope to get out of his wallet. I build rods to what the customer desires. Sometimes the butt weight is too much for my likes but the customer wants those components. He pays and I build.

I have known good designer/builders who have a bit of an elitist attitude about their builds. Give the customer what he desires and you may pick up and additional customer. I know I have.

Your humble rod building servant.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: April 17, 2013 12:50PM

X1000
Neil.

Your comment is my guiding precept as well when dealing with customers.

Roger

Date: April 17, 2013 12:54PM

Neil,
One thing that I might do, privately , after the customer leaves is to sometimes chuckle about thread color selection.

I always leave the color selection completely up to the customer, unless he asks for recommendations. Then, I will make some to fit his rod.

The one thing that I really appreciate is my wife, who is an Artist.

She has an excellent eye for color and has made color choices for me many times, when the customer leaves the color selection up to me.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 17, 2013 01:36PM

Think about Steve's comment

Just like a shock absorber or a good suspension system on a car You don't feel the HIT of the fish cause the soft material Absorbs it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2013 07:24PM

Lot of good info here Roger. I will only speak from my personal experience. Over half the rods I have built in the last few months have been split gripped rods. As much as I hate to say it
I think it is trendy. Most of the customers wanted them built that way, and when I asked some of them why, it was because they liked the way they looked. Granted, as Michael said, it does
give me more area to add more decorations(tiger wraps,photo wraps, marbling, dragonscales, urushi's,ect...you get the picture). Heck, I even threw one together for myself to go slay Calicos!
Just kidding, I C&R all Calicos I catch:)

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: April 18, 2013 11:03PM

sk2 (spinning) with uplocking foregrips seem like a good reason to have split grips to me. i just finished 3 and not a single exposed thread on the reelseat.

Regards,
-Justin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster