I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Private Microwave Challenge
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 27, 2013 05:16PM

I was approached by two local bass tournament guys about new rods. We met and I brought my microwave challenge rods with me. Long story short.... Michigan, 40 degrees, home depot parking lot, 2 chins hitting the pavement, MICROWAVE CONVERTS. If you don't believe it, cast them..nuff said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Private Microwave Challenge
Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2013 09:20PM

it is funny to watch peoples faces when they first cast them. it is amazing!

Mot's Custom Rods and Reels

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 29, 2013 12:50PM

I bought a set and want to test them. I have two ISB781s for the test.

I'm curious. What rod is used for comparison? Is casting distance the "conversion" factor? Exactly what line are you using? Are you comparing identical blanks, reels and line with the only difference being the guides?

Why are jaws dropping? Why are they amazed? I must know. ;)

My rods are pretty amazing now. Am I going to be underwelmed when I test head-to-head with a good NGC setup with 5mm runners?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2013 01:51PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2013 01:02PM

"My rods are pretty amazing now. Am I going to be underwelmed when I test head-to-head with a good NGC setup with 5mm runners?"

Yes, you're likely to be underwhelmed in that case. But you're a custom rod builder with some knowledge of what a good set up can do. Most fishermen are simply relying upon factory equipment which has always looked a certain way. They see this funky looking MicroWave guide with a tiny ring right behind a much larger one and their brains tell them "This can't work." So when they cast it and immediately see and feel the lure zipping right on out there, they're impressed. They weren't expecting it to happen.

Of course, if you're going to perform these challenges, you'll want to arm yourself with what the inventory and manufacturer tout as the overall benefits to using the MW system, not just rely on any distance claims. But, when a guy has already convinced himself that something is a gimmick, or can't work, and it suddenly does, well, that pretty much does it.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 01:04PM

Chuck,

What I'm in the process of doing is getting two inexpensive blanks of the same model. I'm going to wrap one with the MW setup and one with the manufacturers recipe. The manufacturers recipe is likely to be most similar to setups that fishermen would find off the shelf. I think that will show the greatest advantage with using the MW setup.

An aside, I just finished building the jig for comparing spiral wrapped rods vs traditionally wraps casting rods. Tom had the article in Rodmaker a few years ago. I spent a few months trying to convince a potential customer that spiral was the way to go. Once I got the jig finished and demonstrated the difference, he ordered two spiral wrapped rods on the spot.

It makes a big difference to be able to establish a baseline for your testing, then be able to show the advantages that a change will make.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2013 01:13PM by Chad Huderle.

Date: March 29, 2013 01:44PM

I am using two identical blanks, identical reels and the same line. One should be a traditional cone of flight system and the other set up with the microwave system. The big noticeable difference in the two system lessening of vibration through the blank and the coiling of the line being made straight.

Date: March 29, 2013 01:50PM

Tom - I understand what you're saying. I noted that one benefit they claim is more accurate casting as well. Hard to back that one up. Wouldn't we get a similar reaction if we just did the "27X NGC Challenge"?

Chad - We should compare notes on our MW builds. I live just north of you now. I have two identical 781s for the test. I bought the black nanolite set. I really want to know what line people are using.

Date: March 29, 2013 01:53PM

Don Morse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am using two identical blanks, identical reels
> and the same line. One should be a traditional
> cone of flight system and the other set up with
> the microwave system. The big noticeable
> difference in the two system lessening of
> vibration through the blank and the coiling of the
> line being made straight.

Line type and size? No increased accuracy or distance?

What I'm getting at is in my area walleye guys are pitching light jigs on 6# mono. Bass guys are using 10# braid. Both are very forgiving. Are you seeing an advantage with light lines?

Nevermind - I just went to Amtak's and watched the video. They used 10# braid in the challenge.

It seems like they claim increased distance and accuracy, but the only thing I am hearing after the test is the lack of noise and vibration.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2013 02:19PM by Chuck Mills.

Date: March 29, 2013 02:19PM

I built my challenge rods on a couple of inexpensive 6'6" medium/light action blanks I had kicking around. I spooled the reels with 8# mono. As far as distance I don't see a huge difference, maybe a little though.
These guys the other day do a lot of bass fishing and like being accurate. They were casting at some saplings and hitting the trunks 99% of the time. They were very impressed and their new rods are getting them.

Date: March 29, 2013 02:21PM

Thanks Don. That is some real data I can use.

Date: March 29, 2013 02:32PM

Chuck, I built the spiral wrap comparison on SB722's. I'll probably use the same blanks for the MV comparison.

I noticed the St. Francis address. Welcome to the area. At some point I'm hoping to move to somewhere in your old area!

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 29, 2013 02:49PM

Yes, you could perform an NGC or KR Concept challenge and get similar results in terms of performance. However, neither of those two set ups looks quite as radical (nor odd) as the Microwave system does. This is part of the reason why guys who participate in the challenge are so favorably impressed. Not only does it work, but it works in spite of the fact that their brains are telling them it can't work.

Date: March 29, 2013 02:54PM

Chad Huderle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chuck, I built the spiral wrap comparison on
> SB722's. I'll probably use the same blanks for
> the MV comparison.
>
> I noticed the St. Francis address. Welcome to the
> area. At some point I'm hoping to move to
> somewhere in your old area!

If you do I can give you some fishing info. Let me know when you get the MW test going. I've got 2 other rods ahead of them so it will be awhile with the holiday here.

Are you going to use Karry's line spacing info on the COF?

Date: March 29, 2013 03:09PM

Chuck, I've got a few rods to get done also. Yes, I'm planning to use the specs from Batson's website, recommended guide sizes and spacing.

When I get to building these I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 29, 2013 10:51PM

it is just funny watching people look at the stripping guide and trying to figure it out but after casting them they are 75% to 80% sold on the idea afterwards.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2013 11:21PM

When I read through all of the comments, it appears that the only actual fishing advantage with microwave guides is a guide train that is a touch lighter than a standard guide system.

Certainly it is different, but in reading the comments, the microwave does not appear to cast any further or retrieve any smoother.

Certainly with fewer large guides, the overall guide set would weigh less.

However, whether there is an actual advantage, the fact that it is different, and sells rods is a very good reason to build microwave rods.

Another big advantage for the rod builder would be a smaller inventory of guides to handle a larger variety of rod types as well.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 05:35PM

Gee Roger
If I said that I would get - Well whatever -
No one has jumped on you for putting down the All Mighty Micro wave

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 30, 2013 06:36PM

Gee Willie.... a little negative are we? I don't see why anyone would put these guides down. They cast smoother, they cast accurate, they are cool looking, they weigh less, and they make custom builders extra money. Jump on the train and enjoy the ride, it will only be a matter of time before you can buy them on a rod at wally world.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 06:47PM

Don makes an excellent point.
It is completly unimportant whether Microwave guides do anything for the rod builder except to sell more rods.

If microwave guides sell more guides, with no downside, then by all means go for it and up your income.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 07:04PM

I DID NOT SAY THAT What about who you sell them too !!!!

I have not built one yet
But Roger is saying there is not any GREAT advantage to the system - Read the post

Should it not be important to give your Customers or any one else the best you can BUILD ???

Or do you just go for the BUCKS I know GREED is good but Gee

So this is just a Scam ????
Or Does It Work I have not built it yet But Like all else Some will like it and some will not I don't buy every thing that comes to the market Only to see if it is worth it ??

IT WORKS OR IT DOES NOT - I just put a big thing on my site about it

Maybe I should DELETE it

Reading Rogers post I should

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster